UK - how do you get bloods taken / HCG monitored?

icklemonster

Reaction score
I often see women in this forum talking about their HCG levels from bloods. If you're in the UK how do you get these done? Or is it just US women posting?

Since Monday my nausea has disappeared, and while my boobs were very slighty sore that has also gone. I keep feeling like something is wrong, although not sure if I'm being paranoid because I had a mc before DD. I did a digital test this morning with FMU and it is still saying 2-3 weeks (same as Sunday) and guess I would have hoped for a 3+. I didn't get a BFP until 14DPO so guess it could be I implanted late.

I have a private scan booked for 3.5 weeks away, but that seems ages away. I would really like my bloods done so I can check if my HCG is doubling and all is okay, but have no idea how to go about it.

Do you just book in with a nurse at your docs, show up and say that's what you want doing? Or do you have to see a doctor and get their permission? Or is this something people pay for privately?

No Hun. My doctor refused point blank to test my levels for reassurance. Even after 7 losses. They only tested them after I had a bleed and then that was epu at the hospital that ordered them to check they were high enough for a scan. They needed a level over 1000. Maybe speak to your doctor, see if they will agree to them, most doctors will agree to a qualitive test to confirm pregnancy but refuse repeat quantative tests to check levels are rising but you never know! Doctor could agree. I'm sure there must be a way to go privately for them though. Good luck!

Depends on your gp. I had 6 in total which from what some have said was alot but that saw mw through till my 1st early scan at 7 weeks.
I assume I was given mine due to my previous history (7mc) for reassurance due to my ptsd and because I'm on medication to assist the pregnancy

I don't think it's a routine thing but there is no harm asking your gp xx

I had bloods done at the EPU due to heavy bleeding. They only took them once and then gave me a scan.

Im in the UK and had mine done at the EPU also, because i was bleeding & cramping. I don't think they check them unless there's a problem x

Mine were done by the EPU but think it was because I needed an ultrasound.

I'd try and speak to your Doctor/Nurse if you can and explain what you are experiencing and that you are concerned. They might be able to do sort out a scan for you or bloods.

Good luck x

Thanks all! I thought it might just be a US thing but as so many people mention it on here I thought I'd ask. I don't have a history of recurrent miscarriages so doubt I'd persuade my GP. I guess I'll have to wait for time to tell, fx xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->