UK ladies, are we ok with buffalo mozarella?

Cattia

Reaction score
I think this is ok, I've looked on a few websites that say it is, the only one I found that says it isn't is an American site and I know our recommendations here are a little different. I'm talking about the mozzarella that you buy in a bag from the supermarket, not the fresh deli stuff.

I downloaded an app which allows you to search foods to avoid during pregnancy. Mozzarella is on the 'approved' list. It says it's classified as a hard cheese so should be safe. The app is called pregnancy diet food checker. It's very informative!

Wow, I will definitely be downloading that, thanks! This is my third baby and I still can't get my head round it all, in fact I'm sure the recommendations have been different every time I've been pregnant. For example one of my pregnancies you could eat smoked salmon, the other you couldn't, this time I don't even know!

This subject heading has really made me want mozzarella and tomato... Not an ideal meal choice at 1am with neither ingredient in the house :'( lol

Take a look at the package and see it says it's pasteurized ("pasteurized milk" in the ingredient list counts). If it is, it should be safe. I know in the US all supermarket cheeses are pasteurized, but I don't know what the laws are like in the UK. The only cheese that I know of that's questionable even when pasteurized is blue cheese.

Thanks, I also read that mould ripened cheeses like brie are not safe even if pasturised because they are still a growing ground for Listeria. Minefield in the cheese aisle...

I've heard mixed opinions on brie. I'm not a fan, so it wasn't worth researching much, but it seems like it ought to be fine if it's pasteurized.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->