UK ladies: GP

smileyfaces

Reaction score
When did everyone go to their GP to tell them they are pregnant and get a referral for your booking appointment?

This is my 3rd baby but I can't remember when I went last time :lol:

I didn't een see my doctor this time. I phoned the receptionist and she booked me a midwife appointment straight away for 5 week. They did a urine sample and blood pressure checks whereas my doctor wouldn't have done that, he would have just booked the midwife referal. It might be worth checking with your docs if they will just refer you straight away.

I think I'm gonna just drive down there and ask about it!

I phoned at 7 weeks and booked my booking appointment. There was a 3 week Wai so had booking at 10 weeks.

Its my 3rd too and I also forgot. I spoke to the receptionist and she told me to ring the midwife directly.

I went at 9 weeks to the doctors and had my midwife appointment at 10 weeks. I think here the do they first midwife appointment from between 8-10 weeks anyway and all the doctor done was take blood pressure and refer me over :)

I had to ring the midwife directly too at 8 weeks.... the doctor receptionist gave me the number xxx

I never saw my GP once during my pregnancy. Here we self-refer to the midwives. I just looked up their number and called them and booked myself in for my booking appointment. In that case, I called when I was about 4 or 5 weeks pregnant and booking appointment was at 7 weeks, but this was largely because I had 3 weeks of overseas travel for work from 8-10 weeks so I wanted to get in to see them before I left. Usually I think it's more often 7-10 weeks, so I'd call as soon as you are sure and ready to book.

Rang drs surgery but only to have the receptionist book me with the midwife =) she put my name down and a midwife phoned me back with an appointment for around ten weeks

I've just been down there and the receptionist said I have to see the gp first! Waste of time since the GP doesn't actually need to see you!

We don't have the option to self refer!

I'm the same, third pregnancy. First time round I had a consultation with the gp, second time the gp called me and gave me the list of do's and don't's over the phone, this time I just filled out a form and have been referred straight to midwife. Apparently midwife will call me within the week to book an initial appointment x

I've just been down there and the receptionist said I have to see the gp first! Waste of time since the GP doesn't actually need to see you!

We don't have the option to self refer!

I guess some surgeries just do everything by the book. Mine were more than happy to avoid me taking a gp appointment lol

I could have booked straight in with the community midwives, but it seemed a bit odd to not involve a doctor, so I went to see them first (which ended up being a waste of time because she didn't do any health checks or anything)

I rang in GP around 6 weeks but was seen at 8 weeks to be reffered for my midwife booking apt.

With my first I rang up the gp straight away at like 4 weeks lol and was seen pretty quickly and referred then. I live in a different area now but things may have also changed since then.

Oh gp done urine test, checked blood pressure, asked a few questions, gave me a lil Emma's diary before sending off my refferal. I didn't see midwife till 12 weeks and my scan wasn't booked till closer to 14 weeks!

I rung the doctor at 6 weeks and was given the number to self refer.

I've only just received my booking appt today, which is more than 2 weeks away. I'll be a day off 13 weeks. x

Our GP looked at us like we were mad when we went in to inform him of our news. You are supposed to book direct with the midwife, but that's not what the NHS website states. They need to change that!

I called the midwives at 6 weeks and was told to call back after 7 weeks and they gave me a date and time for my booking appointment at 9 weeks.

I've been through my GP with all 3 of my pregnancies xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->