Uk ladies - midwife appointments

steele

Reaction score
Hi! I'm 4 weeks pregnant with my 2nd an I'm unsure when to book my first appointment. With my first I booked in with my gp who booked me in with the midwife for when I was 8 weeks. I've heard I can book straight in with a midwife though, do I book in with them straight away or wait until week 8 again?

I had to book in at 8 weeks Hun, just booked an appointment with them directly. I needed care before that due to being high risk but was told that had to be done through the gp not the midwife. It's all changed so much since my son was born. It's really hands off now.

I am in the same boat. I've read on other posts that you can go straight to the midwife but I don't know how to actually do that. I have a gp appt on Friday so will just be going through them again and be referred. Maybe ring your gp and ask if it's something you can do in your area? X

I booked straight with midwife, told them my lmp and they made it for 8 weeks

In my area they still like you to go through gp but I thought I'd be cheeky and ask if I could refer myself. The receptionist put me through to the midwives and the lady I spoke to made me an apt there and then. I have to wait til 12 weeks, but I'd much rather wait a little longer than have all the hassle of trying to get an apt with a gp, wait ages in the surgery trying to contain my kids, see someone I don't know for 5 mins and have to do whole thing again for a booking apt!

I just rang my gp surgery and booked in with the midwife for 8weeks, I'd ring your gp surgery and ask them xx

I'll ring in the morning then :) thanks ladies! I hope I can book direct because 2 appointments seems such a faff! I've already got my folic acid and know what I can/can't do so seeing them twice seems silly x

If you ring the gp surgery they should be able to give you re number for maternity services in your area and you can call them directly.

Our midwife visits the gp surgery so I just called there
They offered me a booking in app for today but I felt it was too soon so I've pushed it to next week.

The midwife visits the surgery where I am too so I just rung up for my appointment. They do get quite busy so I have rung at around 5-6 weeks both times to make sure I had an appointment between 8-9 weeks.

I'm pregnant with #2 and I made the appointment through the women's hospital, I essentially referred myself. First time round I did it through GP & it took an age just to get an appointment, let alone a referral. Our local women's hospital has an online form you fill in & they ring you back ask few questions & book you in to your local midwives.

First time round I went to the docs and then they told me to go to reception and tell them my details to forward to the midwife. So this time round I just phoned the surgery and asked if I needed to see the doctor or if they could just refer me to the midwife (which essentially all that happend last time) so they just took my details and then passed them to the midwife who rang me a few weeks later and booked me in for 9 weeks.

So I'd ring your doctors surgery and ask what to do saves making an appointment.

Yes it has definitely changed. I phoned docs today and they said I can book straight in with midwife on 19th at an hour long appointment. No need to be referred via GP anymore - which makes sense, waste of resources for non high risk IMO. I won't be 8 weeks though, I'll be 6+4 on that date! Bit worried now they've booked me in too early?!

My area had a what to do if your pregnant add campaign to get people to go direct to midwife! I phoned early and got an appointment for 8weeks

I would say 8 weeks is a good time as it breaks the waiting for dating scan time up! Having the midwife appt so early i.e 5 weeks would mean an awful long wait for the scan! They generally say around 8 weeks to come in, for bloods, blood pressure, etc. Won't have any bloods or urine samples tested etc again until 12 weeks so I would have preferred mine to have been a little later.

I had mine at 5 weeks and 3 days due to medical reasons, which she hadn't checked my notes, and commented on how early it was and how I shouldn't have came in yet. Blah

It's just too exciting isn't it and having the pregnancy down on paper makes it all that much more real :D

Yes it has definitely changed. I phoned docs today and they said I can book straight in with midwife on 19th at an hour long appointment. No need to be referred via GP anymore - which makes sense, waste of resources for non high risk IMO. I won't be 8 weeks though, I'll be 6+4 on that date! Bit worried now they've booked me in too early?!

I've got mine at 5+4, they said they just offer the next available booking in app now. They offered me an app at 4+4 :haha:

I have my midwife appointment tomorrow at 7+2. I was worried she would say it's too early but that's what they gave me when I called. I will only be a few days off 8 weeks! Looking forward to making things official and getting a scan date through xx

I have my booking in app for tomorrow, I should be 8 weeks give or take a few days. It's an hour long appointment.

Hi.

I went in to see my GP last week for tablets reason but however they advised me to stop them and tell me to go to the reception and book an appt with midwife at 7 wks and 4 days lol. Before that, they said will book me until 9 weeks I went like what? Then they asked how far have I gone I told nearly 5 weeks at the time. So it will take me 2 weeks of waiting to see a midwife! Lol

Where I live I just had to fill in a form at the GP that registered me with the midwife then got for an information session at the local surestart where they organised the booking appointment for between 8 and 10 weeks so I guess that bit must be pretty standard. I think we are all very on the ball for realising we are pregnant so it seems like a long time to wait lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->