UK Ladies who've had a VBAC

sethsmummy

mum to 3 beautiful boys
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I was wondering if any of you ladies had the choice about Continuous electronic monitoring? I want a VBAC but I dont want to be strapped to a machine the whole time.. i had this with DS1 and i fully believe thats when things started to go wrong. (and it couldnt pick up the hb or contractions once i was in full blown labour).

So did any of you fight to not have it and what were you told? And also does anyone have any "important" questions i should be asking my midwife/consultant

Like how long i get to try before they intervene

many thanks ladies xx

I had a HBAC, no option of continuous monitoring at home. Don't forget it's always your choice whether you're at home or in hospital, if you don't want continuous monitoring you can say no, if you're not happy with their plans if labour stalls then you can ask what the alternative is. They can't force you to do or have anything, it's entirely your choice. I get that it's not easy though, I'm quite bolshy and quite happily say no to things, even when they're very presumptive in the way they ask e.g. "I'm just going to do xyz, it's standard, we do it for everyone", me "erm no thank you, I'm fine". I can't remember what it was now, it wasn't during pregnancy, but it put the nurse right off her stride, I don't think anyone else had ever refused whatever it was before!

Hiya,
I'm mummy to a Seth too!

I had a vbac in the water almost two months ago (my birth story is linked to my signature if you want details) but your hospital will have a policy for vbac's that will be their best practice. That doesn't mean your can't tailor it to suit you, as the pp said you can say no to things that are 'routine'. For example, my hospital want continous fetal monitoring (CFM) and an IV inserted 'just in case'. I had CFM using a remote device that could go in the water but I wouldn't agree to be strapped to a bed and refused an IV totally.

I'd ask about their VBAC success rates, remote monitoring, when they would expect to intervene due to 'failure to progress' (I was expected to dilate 1cm per hour, which is why I stayed away from hospital as long as possible), induction methods if you go over etc.

Look at the NCT website and NICE guidelines for VBAC's - there is NO evidence that CFM is safer or more likely to spot ruptures more quickly than checks every 15mins with a doppler, and in fact it can increase the chance of a repeat cs due to unaccurate intrepretation of the data. There are a number of complications that are statistically more likely to occur that uterine rupture, but the medics focus on this as you've had a cs before. There is also no reason why your pregnancy should be classed as high risk if the only reason is a previous cs.

If you are worried about CFM you could agree to be monitored for 30mins on admission and if all is well you could consent to checks with a doppler every 15mins thereafter.

Do have a look around the internet, there are some very reliable papers from good sources that say not enough research has been done in this area and it is all just hopsitals erring on the side of caution. Get a clear idea of the birth you want and make sure your birthing partner is on board as it helped when my husband told the midwife to effectively do one when she kept insisting I have an IV inserted!

Feel free to ask me any other questions if you think I can be of help.

I haven't had mine yet, but the consultant has made it very clear that continuous monitoring is part of the deal. There's no other restrictions in terms of going overdue or progressing quickly (beyond what they normally look for in labouring women).

I know technically I can refuse to do what they say, but honestly I don't know if I'd have the strength to argue my case in labour. I do plan to try and use the birthing ball/stand up beside the bed but if it's anything like last time, I imagine the monitors won't work well like that and I'll end up in bed. IF I get stuck in bed lying down, I'll probably opt for an epidural since I feel they're taking away my option to manage pain through movement/position.

thank you ladies! :kiss:

this all just backs up what i thought.. I will not allow continuous monitoring. every hour for 15 minutes maybe or every hours and a half for 30 minutes yes but i refuse to be strapped to the bed. I had this happen with DS1.. i had drips etc (induced and strep B) and i literally couldnt move.. for most of it. eventually they took them off and tried to clip on babies head but that didnt work either! I think if id have been able to move i could have avoided the trauma of an assisted delivery and teh damage caused to my son.

from what iv read online so far the monitor wont pick up UR any quicker than what the mother will as ive read that contractions stop completely if it happens. I see my midwife on thursday so will see if shes any leaflets i could have and start discussions with her (if its my usual one that is).

Mrs HM ... seth is a fab name choice ;) xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->