UK mummys, I need help (benefit related)

Discussion in 'Teenage Parenting' started by Char.due.jan, Jun 6, 2011.

1. Char.due.jan

Char.due.jan Mummy to Luke

Ok, so I got a letter the other day saying I'm not entitled to income support because I've earnt too much money, this is because I worked during the half term holidays and due to the weeks I worked it made me entitled to SMP.

So therefore I'm earning too much to get IS and have to make a new claim when it stops.

But I was wondering, I want to move out quite a lot. But I don't know whether I'd be entitled to Housing and Council Tax Benefit. Does anyone know about this? I tried to do the online calculator but it said it can't calculate for full-time students :dohh: So I'm at a loss now what to do.

I need to move out of my mums quite soon, me and Luke have to share a room with her as there is no room. I'm getting depressed at the whole situation to be honest. And I would not be able to afford to move out on the money I'm getting (£575 a month SMP, 20.90 p/w CB and 59.60 p/w CTC). Also my SMP will stop when he's 26 weeks old :/.. I'm really at a loss what to do, and I'm not finding any of the 'helplines' helpful.

If anyone has been in the same/a similar position I'd really appreicate the advice. :)

2. bumpy_j

bumpy_j Well-Known Member

from the sounds of it i THINK you should be eligible for housing benefit, my friend studies and works part time but gets it to pay his rent so i don't see why you shouldn't - i also get it to rent a room but i'm on IS. sorry i couldn't be more help but didnt want to r&r

3. LoisP

LoisP Guest

Would your mum write you a letter saying she's kicked you out? It would just make getting somewhere alot quicker?

4. SophieGrace

SophieGrace Daisy-Mae's Yummy Mummy

You should be entitled to something for housing benefit :)
    Can i ask why your SMP stops at 26 weeks? your entitled to it for 39 weeks :S
    sorry im not much help xx

5. rainbows_x

rainbows_x Mummy.

You should get housing benefit.
    I don't work get £57 a week CTC and the normal CB.
    OH works 40-70 hours a week, and gets barely anything in WTC.
    We get £120ish a fortnight housing benefit, but don't get council benefit. I don't get IS either a OH works too many hours. x

6. Yazz_n_bump

Yazz_n_bump Me, Fiancé & Jack! :)

I agree, your meant to get SMP up until 39 weeks x