UK mummys - q about working/tax credits/child benefit etc!

callmedan

Reaction score
so im trying to work out what benefits, tax credits me and OH will be entitled to
i am currently on 11k per year before tax and OH is earning 13k per year before tax.. its rubbish i know but its all we can get atm even though he is an accounting graduate last year!
we are ttc april and buying a house july
so hopefully shortly after we move in i will be thinking about maternity leave etc
i have looked at benefit calculators and as far as i can see we will only be entitled to child benefit at £20 per week...
what are you supposed to do, my current take home pay is around £200 per week but they are expecting me to live off stat maternity pay of £136 + £20 child benefit so £156 a week PLUS i will have a new born to pay for??
are there benefits you can claim while on maternity leave (tax credits etc)?
i dont get it all the benefits description say you can get them on a low income but can you really get much lower on a full time wage than me and OH, we are practically on min wage...
feeling very down about it at the minute, feel like we will never comfortably afford a baby!

You won't get CB until the baby arrives, and they took an age to sort mine out.

Tax credits are based on your income as a couple and will vary from person to person so I can't help with that, you do get tax credits on mat leave but again not until LO is born and if I remember rightly the first £100 of mat pay is disregarded so they don't take that into account, CB is also paid 4 weekly not weekly, but it might have all changed since I was on mat leave, they have a habit of changing rules like underwear.

You won't get CB until the baby arrives, and they took an age to sort mine out.

Tax credits are based on your income as a couple and will vary from person to person so I can't help with that, you do get tax credits on mat leave but again not until LO is born and if I remember rightly the first £100 of mat pay is disregarded so they don't take that into account, CB is also paid 4 weekly not weekly, but it might have all changed since I was on mat leave, they have a habit of changing rules like underwear.

yeah i know i wont get anything till baby is born - thats fine we can live comfortably (with budgeting) on our two full wages just us two but im worrying that once i am on maternity pay we wont have enough especially as there will be 3 of us!
what does that £100 disregarded mean? so they would only take it as me earning £36 a week? so i must be due a fair amount of tax credits then!
urgh i know its all so cofusing every website says a different thing and as for going off the previous tax years wages - madness!!!!
feeling quite upset, just been talking to my mum about it, seems in this country you are better off not even trying to make a living for yourself :(

To be honest I wouldn't stress about it until you need to.

The websites are crap, the most useful things are the people on the end of the phone because they explain everything but I don't know if they'll advise before the time iykwim?

Best thing to do is to try and put a little bit aside each month for when the time comes, at least that way you know you'll have something to fall back on. There used to be a £500 maternity grant but again I think that's for people on benefits

yeah good advice, and breeeeeathe, i always get myself worked up about things when i intended to have an early night!
thank you :)

Gov.UK has all the info on it. Remember the baby doesn't have to cost the earth, buy second hand and buy only what actually need. The benefit levels will change a little in April because personal allowance (the amount you get tax free) goes up but it will give you a good guide using calculator on .gov.uk. My suggestion is start a budget sheet now, track all your monthly expenditure and you will see if there are things you can cut back to save (either in advance or when on mat leave).

You will qualify for some child tax credits after LO is born. When calculating how much you earn you deduct £100 for every week you are on mat leave.

You might be so surprised at how much a baby really costs! They really don't need the earth! Spicyorange is right, you only NEED the basics.

Once you get kitted out the child benefit covered the costs

We earn about what you do (about 2k more). I managed on mat pay and Child benefit, just have to figure out your costing's. It can be done. I don't get any child benefit either (I went back to work) so I just get the £22 benefit as standard & my earnings from work. My sis in law doesn't work, has 3 kids and gets £500+ pm tax credit~ swings & roundabouts.

You will be surprised what you can manage on, don't rely/expect the government to pay out for LO's.

All the best hun, don't worry :flower:

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"