UK - NHS funding for 2nd baby?

zilla

Reaction score
Hi :flow:

I have a 14 month old baby, and we started TTC #2 when LO was 3 months old as I wanted a small age gap between LOs - I'm an only child and hated it.

I hadn't got AF for 9 months after birth even though I was bottle feeding, this led my GP to investigate & I had a scan & blood tests & was diagnosed with PCOS in July.

I've had 2 CPs since.

We're at the one year mark now - my GP has to go to a meeting and ask if we would qualify to get referred for further treatment/investigations (I barely get AF so I want to go on Clomid but it costs £450 a cycle privately).
He said there's strict criteria as it's a second baby - but he said they might be lenient due to PCOS.

Does any one have any experience of this?

I'm based in the East Midlands, if that helps.

thank you x

I was referred with my DD and I have been referred again after 1 yr mark no questions asked. How old are you if u don't mind me asking. I am going to be 32 in march.

I'm interested in this too. I have PCOS and only one tube after an ectopic. I had a lap, dye and ovarian drill to get pregnant the second time...I'm hoping I won't need any of that this time, but I'm hoping there'll be funding for a second if I need it. I really don't want LO to be an only child.

I was referred with my DD and I have been referred again after 1 yr mark no questions asked. How old are you if u don't mind me asking. I am going to be 32 in march.

I will be 25 this year.
So plenty of time really (as so many people keep telling me :dohh: ..) but the age gap is going to keep getting bigger and bigger with the longer it takes!

x

well Ive just wasted a year going through this process (after over a year of trying on my own, started NTNP a year before that too so over 3 years) only to be told because I dont have PSOS they WONT help me at all even though I have a hormone imbalance and ovulation issues (apparently they will only give clomid, drugs or help to people with PSOS who have NO periods :wacko:) all they will do if refer me for IVF which I do NOT qualify for on the NHS and cant afford - wish id never wasted my time with this crap because its a joke

I also wanted a small gap between children (2 or 3 years max) my son will now be at least 6 before he will have a sibling and im being forced to look at other countries and importing drugs (which is dangerous and I dont want to do but have NO other options left) for help

p.s im also 25 but people that say there is plenty of time it means sweet fuck all.... I could have a kid in 10-15 years or so possibly but I dont want my son to be old enough to be his brother/sisters dad ffs

good luck whatever you do

well Ive just wasted a year going through this process (after over a year of trying on my own, started NTNP a year before that too so over 3 years) only to be told because I dont have PSOS they WONT help me at all even though I have a hormone imbalance and ovulation issues (apparently they will only give clomid, drugs or help to people with PSOS who have NO periods :wacko:) all they will do if refer me for IVF which I do NOT qualify for on the NHS and cant afford - wish id never wasted my time with this crap because its a joke

I also wanted a small gap between children (2 or 3 years max) my son will now be at least 6 before he will have a sibling and im being forced to look at other countries and importing drugs (which is dangerous and I dont want to do but have NO other options left) for help

p.s im also 25 but people that say there is plenty of time it means sweet fuck all.... I could have a kid in 10-15 years or so possibly but I dont want my son to be old enough to be his brother/sisters dad ffs

Whattttt I didn't know that, that's ridiculous!
I'm sorry you're going through this xxx

PS. I totally know what you mean about what stupid crap other people say! All I get is:

"well you're young"
"sometimes it takes time doesn't it" - said to me by SIL who fell pregnant accidentally with #1, and then 1st time with #2
"just relax, and it'll happen" - yes, because OBVIOUSLY if I relax, all my cysts will just dissolve right? NO.
"at least you've got LO" - well yes. I know I'm lucky to have one LO, but does that mean I'm not entitled to want another? Thanks for making me feel bad on my LO for not being satisfied with one. At the end of the day, it's LO missing out on having a brother or sister more than I'm missing out.

GOD I HATE PEOPLE. sorry for the rant :haha:

What other countries are you looking at? I've heard Prague is cheap for IVF etc xx

I don't have experience with this but my best friend has. She has pcos and was given clomid and she concieved her son, she did have periods but didn't ovulate. Like you she wanted a small gap so when her son was 6 months old she was referred back to her fs and he put her back on clomid no questions asked. She concieved on her second cycle and is now 6 months pregnant again x

PS. I totally know what you mean about what stupid crap other people say! All I get is:

"well you're young"
"sometimes it takes time doesn't it" - said to me by SIL who fell pregnant accidentally with #1, and then 1st time with #2
"just relax, and it'll happen" - yes, because OBVIOUSLY if I relax, all my cysts will just dissolve right? NO.
"at least you've got LO" - well yes. I know I'm lucky to have one LO, but does that mean I'm not entitled to want another? Thanks for making me feel bad on my LO for not being satisfied with one. At the end of the day, it's LO missing out on having a brother or sister more than I'm missing out.

What other countries are you looking at? I've heard Prague is cheap for IVF etc xx

sorry for the rant, the had just told me they wouldnt help yesterday so I was seeing red

im looking at getting clomid first as it seems mad just to jump into IVF without trying easier options first... just ordered a 6 month supply of clomid from india (the name popped up a few times on unprescribed forums and I found more good reviews than bad so fingers crossed that a) it arrives and b) it is what it says it is)

im lucky as im a medical scientist and work in a lab so have access to testing equipment and in general can monitor myself because I read private clomid cycles can cost £300 - £500, whereas doing it myself will cost about £100 for 6 months :thumbup:

its ironic as I wanted to work in IVF but the only masters degree costs £30,000 never going to be able to afford anything :nope:

as for annoying sayings my mam is the worst I constantly get her saying 'your too young for another one, you'll never cope and im not old enough to be a granny of 2' - well sorry mam didn't realize everything was about you (despite the fact im the same age she was when she had 2 kids, 3 if you count my still born brother) its like shes willing me not to get pregnant :growlmad:

"well you're young"

sorry for the rant, the had just told me they wouldnt help yesterday so I was seeing red

im looking at getting clomid first as it seems mad just to jump into IVF without trying easier options first... just ordered a 6 month supply of clomid from india (the name popped up a few times on unprescribed forums and I found more good reviews than bad so fingers crossed that a) it arrives and b) it is what it says it is)

im lucky as im a medical scientist and work in a lab so have access to testing equipment and in general can monitor myself because I read private clomid cycles can cost £300 - £500, whereas doing it myself will cost about £100 for 6 months :thumbup:

its ironic as I wanted to work in IVF but the only masters degree costs £30,000 never going to be able to afford anything :nope:

as for annoying sayings my mam is the worst I constantly get her saying 'your too young for another one, you'll never cope and im not old enough to be a granny of 2' - well sorry mam didn't realize everything was about you (despite the fact im the same age she was when she had 2 kids, 3 if you count my still born brother) its like shes willing me not to get pregnant :growlmad:

Haha don't worry about it, I'm currently waiting on a phone call from my GP telling me whether we're eligible or not. I rang this morning and requested the call, so hopefully I should find out at some point today.

I've seen a few websites selling Clomid online - maybe we will go down that route if my GP won't refer me. Let me know how you get on?

And lucky that you have access to that! My OH works for a company that sells lab equipment and chemicals to labs but we obv don't have the facilities to be able to monitor myself, unfortunately!

I've seen private clomid around in my area, usually around £450 per cycle though unfortunately.

That's so much money for the masters, can you not get a job in a company and get them to sponsor you? I'm starting a law degree in October, and to qualify as a solicitor I need to complete the LPC which is £11000+, so I need to get a training contract with sponsorship for that but it's so competitive. You need so much work experience and placements but no companies will offer placements, even when you offer to work for them for free :| (sorry for the rant again and going off on a tangent :haha: )

& it's up to you when you get pregnant - if you want a short gap then that's your choice no one elses :)

"well you're young"

Haha don't worry about it, I'm currently waiting on a phone call from my GP telling me whether we're eligible or not. I rang this morning and requested the call, so hopefully I should find out at some point today.

I've seen a few websites selling Clomid online - maybe we will go down that route if my GP won't refer me. Let me know how you get on?

And lucky that you have access to that! My OH works for a company that sells lab equipment and chemicals to labs but we obv don't have the facilities to be able to monitor myself, unfortunately!

I've seen private clomid around in my area, usually around £450 per cycle though unfortunately.

That's so much money for the masters, can you not get a job in a company and get them to sponsor you? I'm starting a law degree in October, and to qualify as a solicitor I need to complete the LPC which is £11000+, so I need to get a training contract with sponsorship for that but it's so competitive. You need so much work experience and placements but no companies will offer placements, even when you offer to work for them for free :| (sorry for the rant again and going off on a tangent :haha: )

& it's up to you when you get pregnant - if you want a short gap then that's your choice no one elses :)

ive messaged a few places but no where is interested in giving me voluntary job let alone sponsoring me, since the only university in the country the runs the course is Oxford its one of the hardest courses to get on to so hence the ridiculously high costs (Leeds do it as a in work course but you have to be employed in the job and its mainly for foreign students) :cry: so ill probably do my masters in either developmental genetics or epidemiology as the are easier to get into

good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"