UK - Private Medical Insurance

scarletsmum

Reaction score
Does anyone have it or used it to do with miscarriages?

I have it with work through Bupa but have never used it. However I just had a look and they cover the treatment of miscarriages. Once a miscarriage is confirmed I need to call them and they can arrange private treatment. I don't really know what to do though, as i wonder if they would do anything different to just staying with the NHS? I have never had anything but good care from the NHS in all my dealings.

I am going back in for a scan tomorrow to confirm what I am 99.9% sure will be a miscarriage. At 9 weeks i measured 6 and a half with no heartbeat, so they have left me a week to rescan tomorrow. I am 100% certain on my dates so am sure i am dealing with my third miscarriage.

Also Bupa said they cover testing and diagnosis after reoccurent micarriages. I wonder if this would be any better than sticking with the NHS who obviously have all my records from last time. I just don't know whether I need to go private or stick with the NHS. Do you think I would get any benefit from going private?

I just have never used private medical before so have no idea if it is just going to be more hassle or actually worth using.

Thanks

I have Bupa insurance and rang them last week when I was 99% sure I was going to have to have a D&C. I was in the same situation as you. Anyway they said I would have to wait about week for a consultation and then book the d&C after that. I had my NHS scan to confirm the MC the day after that phone call and my D&C could have been done there and then, but I opted to wait a couple of days.

I had it this afternoon on the NHS and im home now. I cant fault the NHS nurses, the Docs were a bit blaise about it though....and forgot to give me my anti d jab (im RH-)good job i was in the know!!!!

Im happy i went NHS for the D&C (so far so good) but I think if I have any more MCs (fingers crossd I dont) I will go private for the investigations. I have had private treatment for lots of stuff and the service is superb. They would be more than thorough, and also the results always seem to be faster!! You also get to see consultants.....not their juniors! It doesnt matter they dont have your history, you get a full consultation anyway! Hope that helps a bit!

Thank you - That is a bit crap that you have to wait a week. I bet not many people wait like that. If that is the case for me I will just go with whoever can treat me the soonest.

I will get referred to see them about testing though. Thanks for your help with that.

I think that the advantage with private insurance is that you can choose a doctor (approved by the insurer), so may be able to get a more senior doctor than in the NHS.

With my D&C ended up going on the NHS, as private medicine isn't really geared up for early action, and it was fine.

Lots of private insurance doesn't cover recurrent miscarriage investigations, if yours does it'd be worth following up. It will reduce the waiting time and again you are likely to have much more choice over which team to go to and doctor to see.

I have private medical insurance but I decided NHS as I had 2nd scan with them to confirm mmc and they could do a D&C there and then so I opted for it. They were fantastic and I don't think I would have wanted to wait any longer.

I didn't look up the recurrent miscarriage testing with Bupa though :dohh: but actually having to wait 2 months or so for consultation/results was pretty good for me mentally as I had a break. It might be worthwhile doing it to be quicker though. Let me know how it goes.

Sorry with what you are going through xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->