UK sure start maternity grant

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by hopefully85, Mar 30, 2011.

1. hopefully85

hopefully85 Well-Known Member

Does this still run?? I was depending on it for my pram & cot as I'm on my own & struggling as it is financially
    :-(

2. carly6

carly6 Well-Known Member

I don't know, but the one off payment 'health in pregnancy' grant has JUST been stopped... flippin rubbish!

3. hopefully85

Could that be the same one? Was it for 500? Omg I don't know how I am gonna be able to do this :'-( x

4. Cherrybinky

Cherrybinky Guest

Ive been online this morning looking and it was stopped in January this year.

5. takingforever

takingforever Mum of 3 1Angel pg#4

6. Cherrybinky

Cherrybinky Guest

7. AP

AP Well-Known Member

8. helloeveryone

helloeveryone Well-Known Member

Hi don't forget about getting things on the car boots or ebay..
    I got a great buggy and car seat on ebay it was nearly new worth £500 got it for £132...Good luck with it all...

9. carly6

carly6 Well-Known Member

Yes thats the one... we were reyling on that too!

10. littleblonde

littleblonde kacey and sophie

you can still get sure start mat grant , but from the 11th april its for 1st child only. you only get it ifon certain benefits. One being tax credits. So if you dont get before baby you may qualify after baby is born once you get tax credits

11. girlygirl:)

girlygirl:) Well-Known Member

Yeah you still get it but you have to be on certain benefits, if you get child tax credit after the baby is born you should get it then, which is a bit stupid because you obviously need it before the baby is born?! We wont get it till after baby is born either! xx

12. BabyDeacon

BabyDeacon Mum1DS 1angel 1cooking

im sure you can get a mantience grant now

13. hopefully85

This will be my first but I don't get benefits I've worked all my life. I hope it all works out. Im sure it will :-S Xx

14. katrina1987

katrina1987 2 boys and Twin girls

We got it for our little boy beggining of last year when we had him. It was £500. But it now only applies aslong as it's your first child, and you have to be on some sort of benefit such as JSA job seekers allowance, ISA income support allowance and I am not sure on the rest. But also you need to be claiming this for 6months without a break in the claim either otherwise you are not entitled to it. Hope this of some help. Id also check the DWP site and also speak to them at your local job centre

15. BabyDeacon

BabyDeacon Mum1DS 1angel 1cooking

me to but as im still classed as being in work as my work pay me to go uni i wont get any help from the goverment,
    Ooo have u ladies got your maternity expemtion cert yet? got mine thru today you have to apply for it thru ur GP or MW :happydance: at least i get some thing from this goverment...

16. nataliecakes

nataliecakes Well-Known Member

I didnt realise they had changed it, we won't get it this time. If you are on your own and struggling financially then once the baby is born you should definately be entitled to working tax credits, and then most likely you will qualify for the grant. I would ask your midwife all about it, during my last pregnancy they were great at informing about all the benefits and what forms to fill in and when.

17. bump wanted

bump wanted Well-Known Member

Hun if your working and not on benefits you won't get any help! Apart from maternity pay...

18. Kassy

Kassy Mummy and expecting #2

It's an absolute joke to be honest, it makes me mad. Everyone should get the help, some parents are no better off even if they're both working.

19. babyhopes2010

babyhopes2010 one boy one girl.perfect!

yep :thumbup:Me and dh pay at least 1800 in tax and NI every month!

Itseems if ur on benefits u get everything BUT if u work ur ass off,and you still come home with only a lil bit of money after bills and taxmans robbed you! Its crazy! No winder people say feck it and dont work :haha: cos i wont ever get a penny back!