Ultrasound questions- Worried!

kayleen4246

Reaction score
I don't have a lot of expertise in early fetal development. I'm supposed to be 5 weeks, 5 days and doc had me come in for an ultrasound. Gestational sac is measuring 5 weeks 2 days and there is only a yolk sac- no fetal pole could be seen. I've had two miscarriages and a blighted ovum before so I guess I just want to know, realistically, how this looks. Should I be preparing for another loss?

I've had some blood work done- 1/28/15 HCG was 806 (should have been roughly 4 weeks, 6 days). 1/30/15 HCG was 2784 (5 weeks, 1 day) progesterone 16.3. They took some more blood today to look at progesterone again, but didn't mention testing HCG again. With my blighted ovum, the HCG continued to rise normally but no fetal pole developed.

I had my scan a 6+1 but was pushed back to 5+4. All that could be seen was a sack. Nothing else. I really assumed it was bad news. But two weeks later and I was measuring a day ahead and a little baby with a heartbeat could be seen. I think at 5 weeks it's just too early too tell how it's going to go. Think some babies are just slow starters. I'm sure all will be fine at your next scan :)

Hi darling. I have read soooo many posts about scans before 6 weeks that say no fetal pole could be seen. 5 weeks and 2 days is so early there may not even be a heartbeat yet.

You have great HCG levels and everything else seems to be progressing well. It's just really really early to see anything.

Are you going back for another scan?

I haven't heard from my OB yet what the plan is. She is supposed to call tomorrow after she has the official report. Thank you so much for the replies!

Good luck Hun! Will keep my fingers crossed for you!

You won't see fetal pole until 6th week. I had an ultrasound last week 5 weeks 4 days and all was seen was gestational sac and yolk sac. Today we seen fetal pole and heartbeat.

Attachments

• 272c326c-820e-443a-8684-70faa36e0014_jpeg.jpg
    272c326c-820e-443a-8684-70faa36e0014_jpeg.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 22
Your numbers look really good. I had a blighted ovum with my first pregnancy (this is the second one) and like you, HCG continued to rise etc. Now, by definition, you can't have a blighted ovum if you saw a yolk sac. A blighted ovum is literally just an empty gestational sac, nothing in it. So you're definitely not having another blighter ovum.
Whether it's a healthy, viable pregnancy, unfortunately only time will tell, but based on your blood levels and first scan (even if the sac measured a little behind - that's normal, I had that with my baby, but my OB wasn't concerned at all), there's no reason to assume things are bad at this point.
See if you can have another scan on either week 6 or 7. At that point you should definitely be able to see a fetal pole with a heart beat.
Best of luck and try not to worry!

An ultrasound in week 5 is often too early to see anything. Seeing a yolk sac is promising and your HCG is doubling. I had a blighted ovum as well. Things were not as good as your situation and even so my doc was still cautiously optimistic. If I get pregnant again, even though I'll be scared due to my recent miscarriage, I think I would be content with those results. Best wishes!

I have had several losses and I am 10 weeks now. I agree with the others, nothing you said was bad. 5 weeks is too early to see much. You are right on track.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->