Ultrasound too early--but is it normal?

syncronisity

Reaction score
Hi, I am dpo19 and dated at 4w5d. Beta hcg was 1470 2 days ago.

I talked the dr into a very early ultrasound today and was prepared not to see much, but the tech was horrible and really scared me.

She found a 4.1 mm sac. No double wall, no yolk, no fetal pole. She made it sound ominous and dr came in and said it was because I'm early. On one view the sac was normal and round, on another it was a flat looking disc.

I'm really scared. has anyone seen anything like this and gone on to have a normal pregnancy?

I'm surprised they even scanned you that early... I didn't think they ever did because of how unreliable it'd be. I've no experience or advice to give you on u/s but I would completely forget you even had a scan today and disregard any concerns over it. It's way too early to say there are any issues via a scan. Your beta is great. I assume you had another one today? Seeing that number double is what you should focus on right now... not the u/s. Ask for another u/s scan in a couple of weeks. :hugs: This is a bit hypocritical given my other post about me worrying, but try not to worry! You're much more likely to have a healthy pregnancy than anything be wrong. Find something to keep your mind off it and, as others have advised me, remember that today you're pregnant. One step at a time :)

Thanks Mrs. B!
They agreed to the u.s. because I have peed on enough sticks to build a house. I think that they thought I would be too bankrupt to pay for maternity care if they didn't do something soon!

Rest assured there is no "normal" at that gestation. It's way too early and I agree with Mrs. B, I'm shocked they agreed to do it at all because anxiety was the only possible result.

Next time will be better :flower:

Yeah, I would "throw out" this ultrasound. I had one at exactly 6 weeks, and there wasn't much to see. It wasn't until a week later that we saw a strong HB and a little bean.

Honestly, you can't worry so early on, I'm surprised they scanned you as it would surely only increase your anxiety as it's unlikely they'd see much!

Try being in the UK. You don't get any scans until 12 weeks unless you pay and your first blood test is at 8 weeks. None of this HCG level testing in the first few days! You just have to get on and hope all is well! Try not to worry, what will be, will be. Pregnancy is out of anyone's control early days unfortunately, all you can do is stay positive and carry on with life!

We saw absolutely nothing but an empty round sac when my earliest ultrasound was done at 5w6d. I am surprised you saw anything at all that early. I wouldn't worry a bit. Best of luck to you!

Mine was perfectly round on one view and looked like a squished disc on the other view, which of course also freaked me out

my doctor told me that untill hcg is over 2000 nothing will be seen.. im shocked they even agreed to do one that early, of course you wouldnt see anything more than you did.

Unfortunately we tend to worry a lot in early pregnancy. Most pregnancies end in happy, healthy babies! The best thing you can do for your baby right now is take really good care of yourself. Eat well, relax as much as possible, and keep busy enough that thinking about it doesn't COMPLETELY consume you.

Some people don't see anything but a sac until 6 weeks along, so I'm not surprised that you only saw a sac at that 9 days fewer. Also, the sac shape will vary, especially by view. It's just fine!

at my 4wk u/s, all they saw was " a thickened lining indicative of a pregnancy".

hcg yesterday (4 days after the ultrasound) was 15000. Is that too high? I would be 5 weeks 2 days. Next ultrasound is Thursday, very nervous!

To my knowledge high HcG numbers are great news! Good luck for Thurs. I think we're close on days... I'm estimating I'm at 5w1d today. I've got an early u/s on Fri. I'm prepared that there still might not be too much to see before 6 weeks on u/s. GL!

Was that your first beta? Beta numbers are difficult to interpret unless you have another to compare with. I know super high betas can be a concern of ectopic, although you saw a gestational sac already so that should ease those concerns. I didn't see a gestational sac until 5w5d (I even had a 5w2d ultrasound and they couldn't see a sac).

Good luck on Thursday!

UPDATE! First, to answer savasanna-11dpo was 50. 16 dpo was 878. 17 dpo was 1464. 23 dpo was 15000.

The GOOD news, 5w6d--yolk sac and fetal pole. But-no HB yet :-( Dr didn't seem too worried about that, wants another us in a week.

The NOT SO GOOD news--light brown spotting today. Dr says old blood and not really worried, but I know that it may be bad.

Anyone else with no HB at 5w6D and light brown spotting?

No spotting but i didn't have a HB at my 5w5d us. (I actually didn't even have a fetal pole. Just a gestational sac) I came back a week later at 6w5d and there was a HB. When you're that early even a day or two can make a HUGE difference.

Spotting is nerve. wracking. Just keep telling yourself that TONS of people spot in early pregnancy. And brown spotting is of NO concern. Even bright red spotting can be ok, but I'd call the doc if you see it going from brown to red. If nothing else they may bump up your u/s and that will help with your worries.

Rooting for you!

Thank you
I spoke to Dr. he showed up at the US. He said that some people bleed all through the pregnancy and are fine and others spot a little and lose it, so not exactly what I wanted to hear. He didn't seem awfully concerned, but that doesn't mean I'm not!

Yea - I don't think there's a way to not worry about spotting during pregnancy, but through your worries, try to remind yourself of what your doctor is saying. It doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong and some people do spot regularly throughout their entire pregnancy. My sister said she had a week where she bled heavily, with clots, when she was pregnant with my healthy nephew.

But it's definitely hard. :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"