Ultrasound yesterday measuring properly for dates but no heartbeat detected.

Alexas Mommy

Reaction score
Has anyone had this issue? The doctor told me there is a good chance that the heartbeat is just too small to detect, and since I have a retroverted uterus it was harder to get the right view. The baby was measuring 6+4, which is completely accurate for my ovulation date. She told me I might miscarry, or everything might be okay.. Anyone else have similar experience? Thanks!

:flower:

It might be ok! Did they say how big the fetal pole was? If it was less than 5mm there is still a good chance of a successful pregnancy :) if it was 5mm or bigger with no hb then things look a bit bleaker.

If you got an ultrasound report, it should say the length of the fetal pole on there. Hope everything turns out ok <3

At this point it's a waiting game. I think my ultrasound with this baby was 6 weeks and they could JUST see something. My third baby I was almost 6 weeks and I had to go back at 8 because they couldn't pick anything up. I think the best I can offer is as long as you haven't had anything that could be of concern, try to relax and think positive. Fingers crossed everything is okay!!

Thank ladies, I didn't ask many questions as I was sort of shocked- the night before the trained doctor was able to see the heartbeat on the mobile ultrasound, so why 12 hour later why couldn't the tech able to. It daawned on me after though about my tilted uterus and how the tech didn't really seem to try to hard to get the right angle- she was in there for 2 minutes, and the shots she got seemed really awkward to me. I guess I will know on friday...

I didn't ask for a paper copy of the report, and they don't give them unless asked, so I have only the words she gave me, to go on at this point.

In the uk it tends to be 12 weeks the heartbeat is seen on a scan. Im
Sure i read it starts to beat around 6 weeks so probably just small or needs a day or two. I had a private scan at 5 weeks 6 days and saw mine but he really does have amazing equipment. X

Well I have an ultrasound tomorrow at our women's pregnancy hospital here at 1PM. I will have my answer for am sure I guess.

Im sure all will be ok hun especially if you have no cramping and bleeding. I do think technology now is so advanced and sometimes it can be great other times it creates worry. Let us know x

No heartbeat found again on Thursday. Maybe I'm being silly holding out hope but maybe it is because my uterus is extremely tilted. Hcg levels are rising as expected and no bleeding at all. It will be a week tomorrow that no hb was found, shouldn't I be bleeding already? I have another ultrasound tomorrow so we will see what happens...

Sorry you haven't had better news by now. I don't know much about tilted uterus situations so not sure how optimistic you can be but I really hope you get better news tomorrow. I suppose it's possible with hcg still rising that things are good, but also possible that it could be a MMC and that you haven't started bleeding yet. Will be keeping my fingers tightly crossed for you.

Oh hun so sorry you are still
In limbo. I hope its good news. As they can see the tiny baby its not a blighted ovum. I think sometimes it can take a while for bleeding etc but if you have a tilted womb it maybe that as you have said. You have seen it beating once havnt you and i think that lowers the risk alot. Please update and i hope you get answers soon x

Just in the interests of being completely honest with you, my last pregnancy the baby died at 9 weeks and at 11 weeks I still had not bled at all and had no indication I'd miscarried until my scan. It took a pessary to make my body reject the failed pregnancy. I really really hope this is not the case for you, but I don't want you to hold out too much hope based on the fact you're not bleeding.
Fingers crossed for you

thank you everyone, I appreciate all of the comments and hopes :hugs: If it is over, I just hope that I go back to feeling myself soon. I am definitely too depressed, emotional and sick to be waiting around too long.

:hugs:

Sorry to hear you're going through all this. If they are doing a vaginal scan, then yes, if there was a heart beat, they should be able to see it now. Did they say there had been any change in fetal pole size? Typically at this point growth would stabilise or start to reverse if baby wasn't growing though the gestational sac continues to get bigger. Unfortunately, our bodies can be cruel and carry on like all us fine when it isn't. With my mmc, baby stopped growing at at 5 weeks but I carried on having symptoms as your body still makes hcg and I had very little spotting or bleeding (less than my two healthy pregnancies). I waited 6 weeks and still nothing happened. I eventually had to have a d&c (not my first choice but actually it was fine) at 11 weeks because I travel for work and I couldn't take any more time off waiting. What did they advise you?

Thinking of you! How did today go? Absolutely awful having to wait around. Its hard being a women at times isn't it? Ive had bleeds in this pregnancy and thought i was miscarrying at 5 weeks and 14 weeks. Baby has never been affected by it so far. I know it's different but i feel like I understand the frustrating situation you are in when you want a hapy ending but things can go either way xx

Thinking of you and hope today was more positive xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"