Uncomfortable after sweep?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Third Trimester' started by natz123, Apr 1, 2011.

1. natz123

natz123 Well-Known Member

So I've been booked in for a sweep next Friday and I have heard they can be really painful and uncomfortable but how uncomfortable are you after? Will I be ok to drive or do I need to arrange for someone to take me? X

2. JeepGirl

JeepGirl Mommy of 2

I had one on Tuesday, and it wasn't bad at all. In fact I found paps much worse. I was 90% effaced and I think that might be why I didn't mind it, most ladies I have heard say it was painful didn't have a soft cervix yet. I had a show about half an hour after the sweep and some light cramps that day, but none since.

3. MommyMika

MommyMika Well-Known Member

From what I hear it's not too painful, just 'uncomfortable'.

I'm probably having one on Tuesday so we'll see how accurate that is haha!

4. Emmysmommy

Emmysmommy Well-Known Member

They are uncomfortable. With my last pregnancy I wasn't even told that I was going to have a sweep. I had to research what they did afterwards online based on how I felt. You should be able to drive afterwards and you might have slight cramping like AF cramps but nothing too bad.

5. vetti1979

vetti1979 Mum of Joseph & Evie

I had two with DS, the first was no problem at all but the second was more uncomfortable - not painful. no worse than a smear test really.

I had a show when i got home and had period type cramps in the evening, but nothing too bad. I was then awoken with low backache at 5am and mild contractions started around 9am getiing progressively more painful until I went into the labour ward at around 11am and stayed there until DS was born.

6. natz123

natz123 Well-Known Member

Thank you girls :) that's good as would be annoying to have to get a lift :) am hoping it's not going to come to that though x

7. april24april

april24april Pregnant!

I've had one today and had one on Wednesday too - I found them really painful, but the midwife said that it was because my cervix was not at all favourable. Also I have had lots of cervical problems in the past. Although i found them painful, I still drove myself, and was just uncomfortable with some stomach cramping and a little bit of a show afterwards.
    I think that for most people they are just uncomfortable and not painful x

8. Lois

Lois Me, OH, Evie & Joseph

If you can relax as much as possible then a sweep need only be mildly uncomfortable. Good opportunity to practice your relaxtion breathing techniques. It definitely shouldn't be so unpleasant that you can't drive afterwards! If your m/w says your cervix is not favourable then you might want to turn the sweep down and wait til the next appointment because it isn't likely to have much impact anyway.

Lx