Understanding SMEP

RandaPanda

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

So, DH and I wanted to follow SMEP this month if possible, but my OPKs that I ordered online didn't arrive before ovulation (I think I'm ovulating today, actually, based on temp dip and O pain) so I'll use them next month if I don't get a BFP this time.

BUT, I'm confused about SMEP. It sounded straightforward, but I found myself wondering...So you BD EOD from CD8, and then every day for 3 days in a row as soon as you get your first +OPK, right? Then they say to skip a day and BD one more day after that. If this is the case, when is it (in regards to your O date) that you would end up doing the 3 days in a row? Does the first +OPK usually show up several days before ovulation? Why do they say to skip a day?

For example, if I O on CD15, which cycle days would I typically find myself BDing 3 days in a row? :shrug:

I hope this makes sense, and thank you for any advice!

Hi yes thats right i too were a little confused but did exactly that & that month i did conceive ended in mc at 8 wks but i'm doing it again this cycle so lets see. Also used preseed a little everytime we bed as that also wrks for me. Yes so if u get your +opk cd15 just start the first of 3 day in a row the day u get ur first +opk. Hope that makes sense. bed that night & 2 more skip a day & then one more, i dont temp so nt sure when i exactly ovulate i only use opks so i bed every other day then on cd17 got my +opk so bed that night & next 2 nights skippped a day then once more & done! It did wirk as i conceived that cycle. Nt sure why we skip lol but i'm guessing to build up more sperm? Anyway good luck x

According to the instructions on the OPKs you ovulate within 12-36 hours after your positive OPK.

I'm going to try this next month as well if I don't get my BFP this month.

Thanks for your replies, ladies! The reason I'm asking about the timing of the 3 consecutive days and the one skipped day is because I'm trying to decipher how closely I managed to follow SMEP without having my OPKs available to use yet. I'm guessing the 3 days of BD should roughly be the 2 before O plus your O date itself?? The biggest thing I don't understand is when the skipped day would typically be set to occur in your cycle...2 days after ovulation occurs?? I'm wondering if this is just to ensure that you don't miss your chance in case you are off by a bit on your O date...

Mom2sam - I'm sorry to hear about your MC. Wishing you lots of luck and baby dust for this cycle :hugs:

Also, I totally wish I could get my hands on preseed, but it's not available where I am :(

Button# - Thank you for telling me. I actually have no idea how to use OPKs at this point, and the instructions on mine are all in Chinese, so I'm glad you filled me in on the timing :)

Yep think u got it, i usually use the opks tho but if ur not then i think thats right. Lol its so much more straight forward when using opks. Anyway good luck to button too and yes makes more sense about the skipped day i'm currently on smep so bn bedding every other day altho bd twice yestrday (DH was a little mor enthusiastic than usual tmi lol) cd 15 today & still no +opk last time got my positive on cd17 so i thnk by tomrw should b darker argh want to be in the 2ww! Gt cm today were dry up until yestrday so think its close. So will bed tmrw & if get +opk day aftr 3 days in row making that 4 days in row really haha it does gt confusing but just go with it. I havn't bd this much in years! Usually once a wk is good f me gtn bit tired nw good thing DH manages t gt the job done because i was worried its too much pressure. He more broody than me tho so reminds me every other night 'go gt ur preseed in lets mke this baby!! Lol good luck ladies kp us posted with results end of cycle x

Thanks for your replies, ladies! The reason I'm asking about the timing of the 3 consecutive days and the one skipped day is because I'm trying to decipher how closely I managed to follow SMEP without having my OPKs available to use yet. I'm guessing the 3 days of BD should roughly be the 2 before O plus your O date itself?? The biggest thing I don't understand is when the skipped day would typically be set to occur in your cycle...2 days after ovulation occurs?? I'm wondering if this is just to ensure that you don't miss your chance in case you are off by a bit on your O date...

Mom2sam - I'm sorry to hear about your MC. Wishing you lots of luck and baby dust for this cycle :hugs:

Also, I totally wish I could get my hands on preseed, but it's not available where I am :(

Button# - Thank you for telling me. I actually have no idea how to use OPKs at this point, and the instructions on mine are all in Chinese, so I'm glad you filled me in on the timing :)

Oh darn about preseed! I swear by it i honestly beleive both times i did smep & preseed is what helped me conceive! Could u not order online? Or find an alternative sperm freindly lube. I dont hav a problem with ewcm but its what gt my bfp last time so used again & sure & behold conceived first cycle. Nw using again & lets see if it works x

Oh darn about preseed! I swear by it i honestly beleive both times i did smep & preseed is what helped me conceive! Could u not order online? Or find an alternative sperm freindly lube. I dont hav a problem with ewcm but its what gt my bfp last time so used again & sure & behold conceived first cycle. Nw using again & lets see if it works x

I think conceive plus does the same job if you can get that

What is smep please?

It's the sperm meets egg plan. Basically a set of rules that are supposed to have good results. You BD every other day from CD8 then start taking OPK tests from CD10 and when you get a +OPK you BD 3 days in a row followed by a day off and then BD again the following day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->