Underwhelmed by 16w midwife appointment

xLottiex

Reaction score
I had my 16 week appointment with my midwife today. I'm not sure what I was expecting but I came our feeling a bit disappointed/underwhelmed?

She took my blood pressure, read my blood results out from my 8 week appointment, took my weight and asked a few questions about who I live with etc for the health visitor referral. She dipped a stick in my urine sample. No other blood samples were taken or anything. She asked if i had any problems and i mentioned my SIJ pain and she gave me a ob physio no. to ring if I needed/wanted to and she booked my 25w midwife appointment.

When I read through my notes when I got in the car, she had ticked and signed "fetal movement checks" - though she didn't ask about movements, she didn't do a physical exam, she didn't check the heartbeat - nothing to do with the baby or my tummy.

I'm not sure what I was expecting but I thought it might have involved checking that the baby was okay? Maybe she just forgot to do the checks? She did nearly take my bp twice lol..

What have you guys experienced at your 16 week check ups?

Im in the UK ☺

Similar experience , urine test, asked if I was ok but she did check fetal heartbeats and that was it. I felt rushed , in and out I admit.

My 16 wk was much as yours. My mw said they don't check the hb anymore so I had my bp checked and that was it. Very underwhelming! You're not alone feeling this way.

Blood pressure, urine check, quick feel of the belly. That's basically all every appointment is. Once you get past 25 weeks they also check baby's heart beat.
They get super old and super boring very quickly 😫 we had about 30 appointments or something.

I don't know why there's a fetal movement check at 16 weeks I can't imagine many women feel definite movement at 16 weeks? It does get boring, they're only there to make sure everything is ok really, not to get excited about your pregnancy. If you have the same midwife and she's nice, try and make chit chat as that can make it more fun.

I rem with my little boy I went home and cried after my 16 week check I looked
forward to it for so long.
I just had my 16 week check with my 2nd this week she forgot to take urine off me didn't check blood, weight feel my stomach or anything

Mine was pretty much the same. I took a list of questions, which she rushed through, but answered all of them. Took my urine sample, bloods for the quad test (I believe?) & that was about it really. Oh, and blood pressure too

Mine was pretty much the same, dipped urine, foetal movement check and blood pressure but that was it other then a chat about how I was doing with DS and read the consultants notes :). I don't remember them really doing much with DS till 28 weeks.

Mine was the same as yours but she did check my tummy and listened to hb for a good few minutes. :thumbup:

At my 16 week appointment my MW checked my urine, blood pressure and pulse, weighed and measured me to check BMI. She asked about movement, we listened to LO's HB and she made relevant appointments/referrals.

mine was going through my blood test results although iron level was not mentioned. checked my blood pressure, shes a little concerned its low. she felt my belly and checked baby's heartbeat

Mine consisted of blood pressure, feel of tummy, and a listen to baby's heartbeat .

Mines was similar to the other ladies. Blood pressure, heart rate, urine sample, asked how I was doing, asked if I had felt flutters yet (I had just started to) then the student listened to baby and checked my fundal height. She did give me a strict warning not to panic if she didn't get hb, and only did it as she knew I had been picking it up at home every day anyway. I believe it is NHS policy (in my area anyway) not to listen for hb until 20 weeks.

I don't know why there's a fetal movement check at 16 weeks I can't imagine many women feel definite movement at 16 weeks? It does get boring, they're only there to make sure everything is ok really, not to get excited about your pregnancy. If you have the same midwife and she's nice, try and make chit chat as that can make it more fun.

They're not checking for fetal movement they're checking the size of your uterus :)

I was a bit disappointed after 16 week one too, especially as I'd declined the dating scan. I really hoped we'd listen to the heartbeat! I asked my midwife about lack of doppler/checking womb. She said she personally didn't do checks like these until after 20 weeks, as hb can be tricky to find and can cause worry for the mums. I have 2 weeks until my 28 week check and can't wait to have these 'proper' checks on baby :happydance:

Oh that is a shame at my 16 week appointment we went through my bloods from last time, urine check, BP check, asked about fetal movement (2nd pregnancy I guess), referred me to physio, ordered my Anti-D shot, checked my fundal height and listened to baby's HB

sorry your appointment wasn't all that - sounds like she was rushing :hugs:

I'm in the U.S. and my appointments are similar. I go once every 4 weeks. The doctor checks blood pressure, weight, checks the baby's heartbeat, and then asks how I am and if I have any questions. It all is pretty quick. I don't think I'm ever at an appointment for longer than 10 minutes.

My "16w" was at 18 because I was on holiday so she listened to hb but only because it was later.she told me they won't do it before 18w. They did bp and Wee test, no but much else. She did tick "no" under movement felt without asking but she was right.too early for first baby. They only get 15 mins for your appointment and there's not much to do at this stage tbh.

thats just standard procedure for the 16 week check.. they don't start checking anything else except bp, urine, babies heartbeat, etc til 25 weeks for first babies or 28 weeks for subsequent babies in the uk. x

They're not checking for fetal movement they're checking the size of your uterus :)

My MW did both, she measured my fundal height (but unofficially as they don't start doing it until 24 weeks in my area) and did a fetal movement check which was just asking me whether I'd felt LO yet and whether there was a pattern to his/her movements yet :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->