Unhelpful GP/doc

Melanie3103

Reaction score
I was at the docs for something else yesterday and i just happened to mention at the end of my appt - "oh and we r ttc, bearing in mind im 37 whats your recommendation in terms of when we should come see u if nothing happens etc"...

Ive no reason to worry things wont happen but i just want all the facts/info just in case. Thought i was being sensible.

She gave me a look and said "well theres nothing we would do until you've been trying 1yr at least... Your age makes no difference... Its not my fault you left it as late as 37.."

Ive read so much about over 35s being seen earlier - like after 6-9 months. Was shocked!

Anyone experienced this (in the uk in particular)... ??
:-(

You didn't punch her in the face? I would have (at least in my mind :) ). I don't have any experience with healthcare in the UK. I know my gyn told me at my appointment in March that if we hadn't conceived by Christmas (this would be around the nine month mark) to come and see her. I'm 32 with regular cycles and no problems and DH is 36, also with no problems. If I were in your shoes I would call at six months, tell them you've been trying for a year (I suspect they can't really prove that you weren't) and if getting an appointment in the UK is anything like the US, you might be close to the one year mark before your appointment anyway.

This is awful, what a horrible GP.

I would change GP and seek help, after 6 months if not successful. (hope you are xx)

NHS choices website states that women over 36 should seek help sooner (doesn't give exact time in months, but I have heard that 6 months is the normal to look for advice/ investigation when a tad older:winkwink:)

Or go with poster above, a wee white lie isn't going to hurt anyone:winkwink::winkwink:

Good luck, hope you get your BFP soon x

I was at the docs for something else yesterday and i just happened to mention at the end of my appt - "oh and we r ttc, bearing in mind im 37 whats your recommendation in terms of when we should come see u if nothing happens etc"...

Ive no reason to worry things wont happen but i just want all the facts/info just in case. Thought i was being sensible.

She gave me a look and said "well theres nothing we would do until you've been trying 1yr at least... Your age makes no difference... Its not my fault you left it as late as 37.."

Ive read so much about over 35s being seen earlier - like after 6-9 months. Was shocked!

Anyone experienced this (in the uk in particular)... ??
:-(

I'd have the most problem with her "It's not my fault" line. Who was blaming her anyway?? What an absurd thing to say!

Get a different GP. She seems like she doesn't really care about you.

I would definitely find a new GP! That's rude and uncalled for, I become such a crab about these kind of things, I would have given her a piece of my mind! So sorry you had to deal with that garbage.

Up to 35 One Year of Trying, over 35, 6 months. Of course if you just know something is not right etc then no matter what age you are ;) I'd get a second opinion :) What a rude Dr.

ETA: Good luck on your TTC Journey :)

how horrid! my gp said they could also refer you before the official deadline to cut waits... i.e. the waiting list for an appt here is 8 weeks so she will refer at 10 months for under 35, 4months for over...

Thanks ladies, as I said it's really early stages for us (just 3 cycles in ttc) so im in no rush to "get seen".. I just wanted the facts/advice on when to seek further help. I didn't expect any thing so early, just some information, you know.

Appreciate your support... it just totally knocked me for six.

We might not need to be seen by anyone of course, it is still early - so it's a moot point for now, just upsetting to have my enquiries brushed aside and made to feel psychotic and fretting early unnecessarily.

Grrrr.... x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->