University

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by Becca_lou, Nov 17, 2011.

1. Becca_lou

Becca_lou Member

Hi. This is my first post here. I found out earlier today that I'm pregnant.

So I'm Becca. Im currently 20, almost 21. My boyfriend Ryan is 21. We met just over a year ago and have been together for 11 months. I was on the pill and my last period before becoming pregnant started on 10 October. I had a kind of period last week I think but it was a lot lighter and didn't feel like normal. This week I still didn't feel right so I took a test earlier today.

Our first reaction was shock. I didn't think I could be and only took a test after my boyfriend was joking about me being pregnant but after 3 more positive tests I think I must be! I have an appointment at the doctors next Friday to get it checked out. We are both terrified. We were totally unprepared for this but now I'm actually feeling quite excited too! I mean we had talked about getting married and having a family but were not expecting it so soon.

I think this means I'll be due around June/July next year, which is just as I finish my second year of university. This is actually pretty good timing for us as I'll be able to sit my end of year exams (even though I'll be massive then!) and its just after the lease on our flats finish so we can move in together. I have 2 options with uni: have the baby in the summer and go back in September or take a year out. Do you think going back in September with a 3 month old baby would be do-able or would it make more sense to take the year out?

2. bluelilly72

bluelilly72 Well-Known Member

its up to you hun but congratulations hun happy 9 months :hugs:

3. AlvysGrl

AlvysGrl Well-Known Member

Congrats first off and secondly it is totally do-able! I took time off from school after my first with every intention of going back after a year and it took me ten years to go back...my advice is keep to it:)

4. hopscotch

hopscotch mommy to my angel

In the same Position, I'm 99% sure we're pregnant, taking a test tomorrow, anyhow I am at university and baby will be due beginning of July can't decide which to do either I guess we'll only know when our babies arrive and see how much we can handle at one time, OH is in full time work and I do 3 days a week at university some classes I can do online,... I'll get back to you if I am pregnant when I test tomorrow, I'll be 5 weeks 4 days tomorrow if we are.

5. babycakes16

babycakes16 Cory's mummy <3

Congratulations! I'm in the same position with uni as well, I was originally thinking to take a gap year but recently i've been thing it may be better to just carry on that september? My mum would be looking after the baby for me during the days but i'm just not sure yet wether or not it would work out....I'd want to wait until june when the baby is actually here coz that will give me a better idea of wether i could seriously cope with it, but then uni would probably want to know way b4 that :S. Don't know what to do

6. pickleuk

pickleuk mum to a 3 year old.

It's do-able to go back but you need to think abour the demands of your course, childcare arrangements ans about job opportunites when u graduate.
    Another mum at my childminders returned to uni for her last year of teacher training degree. She says its hard but is glad she did return. Her baby is a early July baby and was 10th weeks when term started.

7. lianne82

lianne82 Well-Known Member

Hi I'm not in the same situation exactly as I finish my uni course this December (my first final is tomorrow aaahhhh!) BUT as I will of only been qualified 6 months when the baby comes I am thinking of only taking 6 weeks off and then going back to work, people keep saying I'll find it too hard but the thought of a year off and then trying to get back into yhe swing of things doesn't sound my idea of fun! I think for me the least amount of time off I will find it easier to go back. I think if you are determined and focused with A LOT of support it is totally doable x

8. minimoo90

minimoo90 Mum to a cheekychap

Congrats hun.
    I'm in same boat. It's really dependent on what the uni offer. I'm considering deferring a year, then coming back to finish 2nd and 3rd year off.

9. NickyNack

NickyNack Mum of 3 girls, soon 4!!

Congrats on your BFP :)

I am in the same boat almost, I start my college course in January for an intensive 18 week course, and handed my notice in at work to get a few weeks with the kids before xmas and college....I found out the night before I left work I was preggo, and I'm due 25th June, because I have c-sections I will be having the baby on 18th June, and thats round about when my exams will be. After the summer I plan to go onto the next stage of my Law degree and I will have a 3 mont old, a 21 month old, a 8 year old and 11 year old. But I think it's do-able, as long as you have lots of support.

Good luck :hugs:

10. Becca_lou

Becca_lou Member

Thanx. At least we all have options. I'm hoping that my uni will let me decide when the baby is born and I have more of an idea about how I'll cope. They are really good at letting people defer first year so hopefully it will be fine if I chose to.

It's still sinking in, just trying to read up on pregnancy at the moment. And we're starting to think about what were going to need.

Hopscotch, defiantly let me know tomorrow! Good luck!

11. mixedbeautyx

mixedbeautyx Well-Known Member

Hi Becca congrats!! I just found out I am expecting yesterday

I dont have advice for your uni situation, I just say do whatever you think is best!

12. kat2504

kat2504 Well-Known Member

If I were in your shoes it would depend on the course. I did an Arts degree that had about 12 hours a week of actual lectures/seminars. That would be do-able with a newborn as you could fit the reading and the essays in at home. It would still be very tough, but you could manage it if you were organised.

Some sciency subjects have many many more hours of classes than that though so if you had to be at university from 9-5 every day that would be less practical and I would be more leaning towards deferring.

if you defer, will you be eligible for claiming income support in the meantime? What help with finance and housing will you be able to claim? These are important things to think about. Is your boyfriend a student too?