Unreliable Clear Blue Digital Pregnancy Test - WARNING!!

Arya80

Reaction score
Hi all

I am new to this forum. I've decided to join and start a thread today to warn other girls about Clear Blue Digital Pregnancy Tests which nearly caused me a heart attack today!!

And here is what happened: I am now 5weeks & 6 days pregnant. My first clear blue was taken on Sunday 23rd June showed 2-3 weeks and I was over the moon. I then had my HCG on Monday (260 at 11dp 5dt) and on Wednesday (478 at 13dp 5dt) which I was told were very good numbers. I was expecting my HCG to double up nicely and show 3+ about a week later(ish). I've done a test on Tuesday this week (19dp 5dt) and it was still showing 2-3 weeks, then another one on Wednesday (20dp 5dt) - again 2-3 weeks which made me really worried and paranoid that my HCG is not going up as it should (2-3 weeks means a HCG range of 200-2000 and 3+ weeks means HCG range above 2000). I then took another test this morning hoping for a late 3+ to put my mind at ease and was totally shocked to see a result of 1-2 weeks (i.e. HCG below 200!!!). I used the first morning urine and followed all the instructions etc. Needless to say me and my hubby have panicked totally and thought that it was all over and that we have lost our Baby with the HCG dropping down below 200 at nearly 6weeks pregnant (especially that I have been bleeding every day since day one!). I called the clinic, all in tears and they have asked me to pop in ASAP for a blood test. We didn't have much hope though. We then came back home and whilst I was waiting for the blood results, I used the very last Clear Blue Digital test that I had (same pack as the 1st test this morning) and to my surprise it showed 3+ !!!!! The clinic then called to say my HCG is 4000 and everything is looking well :happydance:

To summarise: just a word of warning to anyone using those tests: they are totally unreliable and can cause more stress and worry than it is worth. How can one test with FMU show 1-2 weeks (HCG below 200) and then 3+ weeks just 2 hours later (i.e. HCG above 2000)???? I've attached a picture to prove it! I will never be using them again, that's for sure!!:growlmad:

Attachments

• clear blue.jpg
    clear blue.jpg
    20.1 KB · Views: 299
I'm sooo glad you posted this, m 5 weeks today and expected at least a 2-3 as I've seen my gestational sac on scan, but nope, it still said 1-2, I freaked out but pregnant I'd pregnant right xx

I had the exact same issue with these whilst I was pregnant, mine went down from 3+ to 2-3 and I was convinced I was losing the pregnancy, but then the next day they went back up to 3+ and that dodgy test is now a 7 month old!

Hi Mrs A

I'm so glad my thread was of help to you!!! :) I was so angry at CB Digi today that I had to post something here as I thought that a post like this would have helped me this morning when I was so stressed out hence it might help someone else in a similar situation! :) My clinic strongly advised against those tests so just bin them, forget about them and enjoy your pregnancy especially now that you've seen the sac! :) I've got my first scan next Wednesday and I totally can't wait, hopefully we will hear a little heartbeat too!! :)

KatherineGrey - those tests do stress you out when they suddenly go down rather than up, don't they??? I really thought I was losing my pregnancy today. CB digital should be banned!! Btw Your little one is soooo cute!!! :)

I've forgotten all about them, nd I don't intend to buy any more, they're sooo expensive, and so shit!

Haha, good!! Hope everything goes well for you! Our Beans will be due in the same month(ish). How exciting!!! xx

Wow! That's crazy! I would gave totally freaked out too! So glad everything is ok!

So..I am newly pregnant and the clearblue tests have been reading 3+ but today I took one and it said 2-3 weeks!! I feel a lot better after seeing similar posts but I'm still anxious to get my blood results back and that won't be until tomorrow morning. I had my first blood test on Monday and my level was over 4000 so I should get a reading double that tomorrow if things are still on track right?!

I just posted about having a Clearblue pregnancy test taken yesterday that said 3+ and then one today that said 2-3 weeks. I took another one just a bit ago...about an hour or so (but less than two hours for sure) after my last one that said 2-3 weeks and this one said 3+. So..I would just like to second that these pregnancy tests are not reliable. I was testing because I started spotting on Monday, I am waiting to get my second results back tomorrow morning and wanted to reassure myself...which obviously didn't happen when the Clearblue results came back at 2-3 vs. 3+. I was relieved to see 3+ on the second test I took today but will no longer be trusting these expensive inaccurate tests.

I noticed when I got my bfp that my FMU was the worst in the morning SMU was much better.
Some ladies are the same :)

Thank you for your original post Arya80, this too is the first time I've ever posted online.

Just a little bit of history, I've got one 3 year son after TTC for 2 years but luckily our 1st IVF was successful and have been TTC our second for a further 2 years with two failed IVFs so far this year.

I was thrilled to get a BFP on FRER last Wednesday (day 28) and got 1-2 weeks pregnant on Clearblue Digital last Saturday (4+1 weeks) but today (5+1 weeks) I've done two digitals and they're both saying Not Pregnant rather than the 2-3 weeks I was desperately hoping for.

I know deep down that it's over for me but I'm clinging onto the hope that there's someone out there that got a false negative at 5 weeks.

Sorry if my TTC lingo isn't correct, I've been reading these forums for over 5 years and am very nervously writing this first post.

Thank you ladies x

Hey - i know i'm a bit late with this but i was wondering what happened with you? I have had the exact same thing happen, got 2 positive results 2 weeks ago and this morning a Not Pregnant on a clearblue - i did it because i've had some spotting. I completely freaked out, and did a first response, which came up positive....i am baffled. I have booked a scan for tomorrow morning. I think i am only about 5 weeks so i don't know if anything will show up but they said they should be able to see if there is a pregnancy in there at least, although no HB or anything. I googled to see if this had happened to anyone else and came across your post. I hope everything worked out for you - its very confusing xx

Hiya Crumble1981, I'm really sorry to hear you're going through this too, it's such a shock getting that Not Pregnant isn't it. I'm afraid to say it didn't work out for me this time, my bloods at the clinic on the Monday (two days after doing the PT) unfortunately didn't have any HCG at all whereas you've still got hope as you're still showing positive on the First Response. I did some research before it was proven I was no longer pregnant and there's something called The Hook Effect which results in Not Pregnant on the digitals, I believe it to be rare but it might keep you going until tomorrow. Keep me posted and good luck xxx

Ps just found the link and it's the Variant Hook Effect that I clung to but I'm not allowed to post the web link as I'm a new member. Try...

pregnancylab net 2011 05 false-negative-pregnancy-tests

Hey - thanks so much for your message. I'm so sorry to hear that it didn't work out for you, its so heartbreaking. I have to say that i am now this evening bleeding a lot more heavily so i really am not holding out much hope, in fact i almost wish it would just be over so i don't have to wince every time i go to the loo and see how much more blood has come out. I'll see how i am in the morning and maybe still keep my appointment at least to get my blood tests done. Will look up the hook effect now, thank you!

Those digital tests have given me an incorrect response before i have to say, i don't think i'll use them again when we resume trying. I've always had the best luck with First Response.

Thank you again for your reply, it gave me strange comfort when i'm feeling really low! xxx

Hey - just a quick update. I had a very frustrating trip to the clinic today. They did a scan which didn't show anything but she said that it was possibly too early......they took bloods and i have to go back on Friday for more bloods and then its just a wait and see really. So hard to do! I am not feeling very hopeful but i have a little boy (who is keeping me going!) who is 2 so i'm putting on a brave face and trying not to obsess over it too much (yeah right!) xx

Omg this happened to me!! Had me all in a fit!

My frozen transfer was successful and I had very high betas... (In my sig I think it was around 2500 13dpt) so 3 days later I decided to take my last cb digital expecting to see 2+ considering my betas were more than doubling and also since a week prior it said 2-3 and to my shock it said 2-3! I was worried sick until I did a sneak ultrasound at work and everything was perfect. Those things are terrible!

Was just going to respond Crumble to your reply and seen you'd updated. I'd say that seems positive that they didn't definitely confirm you're no longer pregnant like they did with me at my clinic plus MoBaby is proof that those digitals are sometimes just wrong!

MoBaby, I see from your signature that you're IVF too. My first IVF was successful in 2010 and this year have had a negative FET, negative IVF and then just last month a positive FET which was a chemical pregnancy. I'm due to have another FET in the New Year, it's stressful isn't it IVF, keeping everything crossed for you. Xx

Hey - well this evening i have started bleeding very heavily with a lot of cramping. I really feel its over for me to be honest. This is my second early miscarriage in a row and i am really sad and quite worried :(

Wishing you truly every success with your next try xx

Was just going to respond Crumble to your reply and seen you'd updated. I'd say that seems positive that they didn't definitely confirm you're no longer pregnant like they did with me at my clinic plus MoBaby is proof that those digitals are sometimes just wrong!

MoBaby, I see from your signature that you're IVF too. My first IVF was successful in 2010 and this year have had a negative FET, negative IVF and then just last month a positive FET which was a chemical pregnancy. I'm due to have another FET in the New Year, it's stressful isn't it IVF, keeping everything crossed for you. Xx

Yes, after 6 transfers (bfn, mc, chem, mc, chem, current pg) I finally have my rainbow baby on board! It is stressful and I wish it would have worked a long time ago but it will be worth it in the end :)

Hey - well this evening i have started bleeding very heavily with a lot of cramping. I really feel its over for me to be honest. This is my second early miscarriage in a row and i am really sad and quite worried :(

Wishing you truly every success with your next try xx

How you doing Crumble1981? Have you tested again using a First Response to see if there's still a pink line? Thinking of you xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->