unsettled evenings - anyone found LO just grows out of it?!

rubycrumble

Reaction score
Our 9 week old LO is really unsettled in the evenings atm - everynight from 8-11 she is fussy, wont be put downs, cries etc and tbh its driving us to breaking point! we dont get any quality time together anymore and as for eating an evening meal.....forget it!!

i dont think its colic as she isnt in pain as such shes just unsettled and grumbley. we do a quiet period, bath and then bottle every night at the same time and she naps really well in the day.

i have read that alot of babies are unsettled at this time until about 12 or so weeks but im nervous about pinning our hopes on it just fizzling out if it doesnt and theres something we should be doing?

anyone got any experience of this? anyones LO just grown out of it? anyone done something to help this? we're getting desperate!!!:wacko:

alfie used to get really unsettled from 4-6 he would literally moan and moan lol...but he just suddenly stopped, i cant remember when but i know it deffinately went away. Try googling the baby witching hour apparantly its quite common in young babies to have a few hours or an hour a night were theyre extremely unsettled another method we found that calmed him down was swaddling and ssshushing, rocking it was from Dr sears, i think you might find a video on youtube.

<3

They call it happy hour. Yes, they outgrow it, but it sucks until then. Overstimulation during the day is a contributor. Have you tried putting her to bed earlier? Ours went to bed around 10pm at that age, it may be a sign she's ready to go to bed a little earlier.

I was going suggest putting her bed early x

Isobelle stopped this as soon as we put her to bed a tad earlier, now she STTN but she does have a grumble between about 3pm-6pm still..

x

Thanks for your replies-we currently put lo to bed at 7...she usually dozes for 45mins ish then wakes and the rest of the night is hard. For those of you saying put lo to bed earlia-can I ask, at 10 weeks, what time did ur lo go to bed? x

Thanks for your replies-we currently put lo to bed at 7...she usually dozes for 45mins ish then wakes and the rest of the night is hard. For those of you saying put lo to bed earlia-can I ask, at 10 weeks, what time did ur lo go to bed? x

At 10 weeks, it was still about 9:30pm (10pm or 9pm, give or take). Perhaps she is not ready for 7pm bedtime yet, maybe try 10pm or 9pm, if you find she is naturally at 11pm.

it only lasted a few weeks for us.

Eek! At 10 weeks our little one wouldn't settle properly till midnight, until then it was cat naps so we just went with it because once he was down at 12 he'd sleep till 5am which is actually better than he is now at 7 months!! I remember the evenings of no quality time together, eating cold food and not being able to sit down because he just wanted to be on your shoulder looking around the room... Funny looking back, pacing the living room for hours and the second you sat he'd cry. Our LO did just grow out of it.

Honestly it will get better, you will get your evenings back and you may even miss your little one (or maybe not he he).

Eek! At 10 weeks our little one wouldn't settle properly till midnight, until then it was cat naps so we just went with it because once he was down at 12 he'd sleep till 5am which is actually better than he is now at 7 months!! I remember the evenings of no quality time together, eating cold food and not being able to sit down because he just wanted to be on your shoulder looking around the room... Funny looking back, pacing the living room for hours and the second you sat he'd cry. Our LO did just grow out of it.

Honestly it will get better, you will get your evenings back and you may even miss your little one (or maybe not he he).

Ballerina, I think I'd like to take this post and pin it around my house to remind me that it will get better :thumbup: It's like i've totally forgotten since Arf was this age. DD is so unsettled in the evenings, cluster feeding, cat napping, screaming within seconds of being put down just so i can go to the toilet :dohh: I feel like i'm going insane. I admit right now i'm struggling with having 2 under 2 but I should take this post and read it from time to time because you're right it does get better, before you know it.

:hugs::hugs: to the OP

This gives me hope! We've not eaten together for ages now, lol! Our DS is a nightowl like us, an early night for him is 12ish :wacko: I envy all these people who have babies that sleep through the night and settle early, how do they do it?!!

hey aww my boy is the same after his 7ish feed hes fine for about a hour after then thats him crys n crys at 1st i got myself soo upset cause i couldnt clam him down his face would be red and the tears running down his face his wee lip going oh god i felt i was a bad mum.
a few things you could try a wee bath a walk if its not 2 late (iv done this a few times) or even give some cooled boiled water
i sit on my birthing ball with junior in my arms and bounce about and hum or sing lol or ano some people r funny about this but i take him in2 bed with me and we normaly both fall asleep i keep the light low if im on the ball or if iv got him in bed with me sometimes it takes a while

infact im taking junior to baby massage 2morrow 2 see if i can pick up any tips its ment to be good for calming babys down
you could maybe set up a night time rotten like bath baby massage feed a wee sing and cuddle then bed hope maybe 1 of work 4 u it can be very hard going xx

ps the baby massage the health visitors run it from my doctors you should ask if they offer anything where u live

Colin went through this about that age to. Would start at around 7 pm every night and go on for a few hours. He did grow out of it after a month or so I think, not sure exactly how long but there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Think it's quite common actually according to his dr. anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->