Untreated hydrosalpinges and IVF is there hope?

PGLady

Reaction score
Hi folks,
I've known for a while that I have bilateral hydrosalpinges (nasty blocked tubes) and am about to start my first round of IVF. My consultant doesn't want to remove them as I have adhesions from previous surgeries, but I've heard they halve my chances :growlmad:. My question is, can anyone give me hope that this might work? I'm 35 and DH :spermy: is ok.
Thanks and :dust: to everyone

I have heard of this making success with IVF harder and also would put you at risk of ectopic pregnancy. Personally i would look into it more before starting your cycle.
I lost both my tubes last yr due to ectopic pregnancies and we have just had a failed IVF and start again in the new year but my consultant told me when we first seen him that had i not lost my tubes he would of removed them before starting treatment as obviously they were a health risk to me. I wish u lots of luck xxx

Hi,

I would agree with Africaqueen, maybe ask the question again. I have blocked tubes and they checked and doublechecked with scans to make sure I didn't have hydrosalpinges before they started my IVF. My consultant said if I did have one or two they would have to remove the affected tube/s before we started IVF.
...That was at Birmingham Womens.

On the other hand, it may depend where the hydrosalpinx is sitting in your tube. Also, if creating more scar tissue is potentially going to have a worse effect than the hydrosalpinx, they have to weigh up the pros and cons and take the best decision from there.

Best of luck. xx

...just a quick note after re-reading your original post. Blocked tubes doesn't necessarily mean hydrosalpinx. The hydrosalpinx bit is a collection of fluid in the tube - have they diagnosed both?
x

...just a quick note after re-reading your original post. Blocked tubes doesn't necessarily mean hydrosalpinx. The hydrosalpinx bit is a collection of fluid in the tube - have they diagnosed both?
x

Hi Teapot, yes, they've diagnosed both. My consultant won't touch them (adhesions) so I'm looking at alternatives. No idea how to get a second opinion on the NHS, and there is a sterilisation procedure they use in the US on similar cases to mine I'm trying to find out about. He's up for going ahead with IVF next month, I hope there's a chance. Keep telling myself the NHS wouldn't waste the money if there wasn't!

x

Hi Teapot, yes, they've diagnosed both. My consultant won't touch them (adhesions) so I'm looking at alternatives. No idea how to get a second opinion on the NHS, and there is a sterilisation procedure they use in the US on similar cases to mine I'm trying to find out about. He's up for going ahead with IVF next month, I hope there's a chance. Keep telling myself the NHS wouldn't waste the money if there wasn't!

Am in the same boat as you. My doctor advised me that one of my tube is completely blocked. The other one which worked at one point is messed up with the fluid. Was also told that because of previous surgeries they cannot remove it but they can do an andiena (sp) procedure where they block the fluid from entering the uterus. Am however waiting for the procedure to take place. What options where you given?

x

Am in the same boat as you. My doctor advised me that one of my tube is completely blocked. The other one which worked at one point is messed up with the fluid. Was also told that because of previous surgeries they cannot remove it but they can do an andiena (sp) procedure where they block the fluid from entering the uterus. Am however waiting for the procedure to take place. What options where you given?

:hi: Good to know I'm not alone! Never heard of that procedure - not sure they do it in the UK, but I'll Google it to find out. Haven't been given any options, that's why people like you are so valuable, thank you!
:dust:

It's actually called adiana procedure and offered in Canada. Am now scheduled for December 1st. Not sure if this will block the fluid completely as I will be going for ivf as soon as I heal from the procedure. This procedure is similar to 'assure' which is used for permanent contraceptive, the advantage being that there is no surgery. The procedure is done through the vagina and last between 10 -15 minutes. Will update when done after dec 1st.

It's actually called adiana procedure and offered in Canada. Am now scheduled for December 1st. Not sure if this will block the fluid completely as I will be going for ivf as soon as I heal from the procedure. This procedure is similar to 'assure' which is used for permanent contraceptive, the advantage being that there is no surgery. The procedure is done through the vagina and last between 10 -15 minutes. Will update when done after dec 1st.

Thanks for the info, and good luck on 1st. I'd be interested to hear how it does - have managed to track down a couple of docs here in the UK, now just need to work out how to contact them! Found out about an adiana clinical trial in the USA, hope it helps someone else out there. :dust:

Hi Ladies,
I had my hsg this past friday and was informed that my tubes were blocked at the end (next to ovaries) and filled with fluid. Everything that I had read before made me dread this news however I am confused because my dr said this is best case scenario as they can unblock with 60% success rate.

I am very confused as to what route I should go though. SInce I am 36, I was thinking to just have them removed and go straight to IVF but dr is trying to convince me there is a chance. I am thinking of making an appt with RE but I know they will say remove and do ivf which i guess I am leaning towards.

So heartbroken but am glad to have some answers.

I had the Adiana procedure done to block the fluid and the tubes and am going through Ivf in February as that is now my only option of conceiving.

Make decisions which are best for you, sometimes docs waste your time, doing their trials and error procedures. Though Ivf's outcome is not guaranteed atleast your odds are better at your age. My time was wasted until now, at 39years going for my first IVF!

Hi Lilly,
I remember well the HSG results and how devastating it is :hugs: Please remember that at least now you have an answer and now you need to focus on positive action you can take to get you pregnant! Take some time to think things over and discuss them with your partner and doctor.

Well, all cases are different and I'm no expert, but here's what I think about the treatment you have been offered - I would question what the 60% success rate is and why he thinks you would be a candidate for what he suggests (in this article https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21824716 less than half of the patients were treated like that), however the evidence does suggest that your doctors treatment could work. However, those tubes don't just need to be open, but the fine structure within them needs to be functional to get you pregnant and that's very unlikely if they've been full to bursting with fluid. I am tempted to say get them out or get the Adiana procedure and go straight to IVF, don't waste your time!

Those tubes don't work and if you leave them untreated they will halve your chances of conceiving through IVF. Also remember that if they are the only thing preventing you from conceiving (no other issues), you have a very good chance of IVF working once you have had them treated. Unfortunately because of my history I can't have them removed and they don't offer Adiana here in the UK, so there's nothing I can do except IVF with the hope it will work. If it helps, my RE says that there's no need to panic about age until you get to 40, but why not ask for the ovarian reserve tests from an RE (FSH and AMH and an ultrasound scan) so you have a better idea of how urgently you must act.

Good luck with your journey and lots of :dust: xx

Thanks Goldy and PJ!!! You ladies are AWESOME.

Oh yes it was horrid getting that news...my life and everything I thought about ttc went down the tubes so to speak (bad joke). :haha:

I think I am going to just move forward with the IVF. I really don't think I can handle emotionally going through numerous failures trying other avenues only to end up doing ivf. I feel for you GOLDY!! :hugs: You are so strong. Thank you so much PG for the info and for the comforting words.:hugs:

Hi Ladies,
I had my hsg this past friday and was informed that my tubes were blocked at the end (next to ovaries) and filled with fluid. Everything that I had read before made me dread this news however I am confused because my dr said this is best case scenario as they can unblock with 60% success rate.

I am very confused as to what route I should go though. SInce I am 36, I was thinking to just have them removed and go straight to IVF but dr is trying to convince me there is a chance. I am thinking of making an appt with RE but I know they will say remove and do ivf which i guess I am leaning towards.

So heartbroken but am glad to have some answers.

Hi lily, I have seen you on another thread and just wanted to wish you luck! Sorry you discovered tubal issues but yay to moving on to the next stage. Best of luck to you.

Did your docs suggest why/how your tubes are blocked? Did you have any pain? Did you have an internal ultrasound before? I have my hsg in the next few months too and am rather petrified tbh.

Hope you get your bfp soon!

Hi Mk8,

Most likely it is from a prior infection, but could also be from cysts that cause me probs. Good luck with your HSG. I know people say that it is painful but I didn't feel mine at all and my tubes were blocked(they did numb my cervix prior which I think helped)! I will know more in the coming months when I get my lap done and they can access the situation. I am scared they will take my tubes as the fluid is toxic for ivf....but whatever it takes right! So nervous for Sophie today!!!!

MK8
I did have an ultrasound prior that didn't show anything - everything normal - aside from a few cysts on my ovaries. My tubes were blocked at the distal end (the end closest to he ovaries). My doc said my hydros were small and could be fixed but it was 50-50 it would work and I would have a 6month to year window before they possibly close up again. eeeek. Since I am 36 I am kind of in a time crunch...and like the ladies above said- sometimes you go through a whole lot of hassle and just end up at ivf anyway.

I wish you luck with your hsg...I'm sure you will be just fine! Sometimes they can clear up small blockages and you can get your bfp after. GL!

Thank you Lilylove. I just want my hsg to hurry up! I am getting it done on the NHS (UK state healthcare) as I want to save money for any treatments I may require or the baby when he/she finally arrives!

Interesting that your ultrasound didn't reveal hydro... it could be a good thing in that they are small. Perhaps it will clear up?

Do you know for sure that you had an infection in the past?

Good luck with the lap! xx

Hi girls just wanted to share my story. I was diagnosed with blocked tubes with hydrosalphinges and in January 2011 I had laporoscopy to try to unblock the tubes. I had a scan in April to check if the tubes had refilled with fluid, which they hadn't - great news! On 24th December 2011 I finally started my IVF treatment, but in January just before my egg collection they did a scan and saw that the fluid had returned. My partner was adamant that we should continue with the egg collection and transfer anyway to see what happened (even though the doctor said it would half our chances). Anyway on Friday 3rd February 2012 I got my BFP after my first IVF attempt! I know it is very early days but I just tried to stay positive and it worked, against what the doctors said. So there is hope for all of us!
xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"