unwanted advice already

EmmyReece

Mummy To Olivia
Reaction score
So I was talking with a friend and her daughter (who's also pregnant) yesterday about how we were considering a private scan at about 8 weeks. My friend was all for it as it meant we would see baby early.

I then mentioned my concerns about the fact that they might not see much because of my high bmi and the fact that it's so early. Which could result in them wanting to an internal ultrasound and my friend just shouted out "don't have an internal one it's linked to miscarriage".

Of course her daughter corrected her and she got funny and shouted at her "well xxxx had one and then she miscarried! Don't act like I don't know what I'm talking about!"

But of course now the idea is in my head I can't shake it off. I've messaged a company that we were considering going to and voiced my fears and they came back with this reply

Good morning and congratulations,
Unfortunately the best way of performing early ultrasound is transvaginally (especially for those ladies with a raised BMI or a extroverted uterus).... there is NO link with this examination and miscarriages.... as all scans on ladies who attended early pregnancy units with pain or bleeding have this type of scan your friend may have associated the two, but these ladies would have miscarried with or without the scan.
It is unlikely that we could see much at all from a tummy scan at this gestation
If we can be of any further assistance please do not hesitate to contact us.
We wish you all the best for a continued healthy pregnancy
Kind regards

I just wish I'd never opened my mouth now as I wouldn't have had to hear that from my friend and I wouldn't have all these crazy fears running round my head :wacko: :nope:

Hi, I can see why your friend might link the two, I had a bleeding with my.first pregnancy, had an internal.scan at 6 weeks, saw hb, 2 weeks later I had a mc. The reason for the internal was because I was so early. I had a scan on Thursday for this baby and she said if they don't see much they may have to do an Inot era, luckily they saw everything fine. However I did not link the mc wit the Inote real scan nor would i have hesitated. mc is unfortunately one of those things and if it's happening there is nothing that can stop it. Internal.scan can just get closer to baby x

Thousands of ladies have transvaginal ultrasounds and have healthy happy babies. A lot of doctors offer them routinely around 8 weeks (at least to most mamas I know). For the record, my mom gets all defensive too if I try to correct her on something.

I can assure you that transvaginal ultrasounds do NOT cause miscarriage. I had one with my son (it's actually pretty common practice for most places here for the first ultrasound, even for women with a low or normal BMI) and he's perfectly healthy and turning 2 years old next month. With this baby I only had an abdominal because it was the only option available to me (new doctor, new practice) and I have a normal BMI. I'm sorry that you're getting unwanted advice already. The best advice that I can give is to talk to your OB/midwife and trust your gut whenever you have a concern. :hugs:

Everyone I know had a transvaginal ultrasound, including me. It's routine for my doctor to schedule one at 8 weeks for everyone. Your friend has no idea what caused her friend's miscarriage. That's crazy. Don't worry and just enjoy seeing your baby :)

I had several internal scans with my 3rd. ( had a bleed and a few other issues ) plus i have a retroverted uterus. Anyways he is now 15 mths in a few weeks :) i don't think any form of ultrasound will cause a miscarriage but its not recommended to have too many for a normal healthy pregnancy, ill be having my 1st scan at 8 weeks too, which will probably be transvaginal as well.

I've had at least two transvaginal ultrasounds with each of my four pregnancies (including my current). All have been healthy, perfect, full term babies! My BMI is very high, but even if it wasn't, the uterus often doesn't poke out of the pelvis enough to get a great view of baby in an abdominal ultrasound until later on in the first trimester. I barely got a blurry glimpse of my baby at 9 1/2 weeks abdominally, but I got a beautiful view transvaginally at 8 1/2 weeks (current display pic!). The practice I use does these with every pregnancy to determine 99.5% viability.

Thanks everyone you really have reassured me and helped to get rid of those silly fears.

We can only afford to do one private scan as we want to be able to afford whatever we want for the baby so have decided to go for a gender scan with mil as a birthday present to her in december :cloud9: But I have no fears if the sonographer wants to do an internal scan because of my bmi

Thanks again :)

I think your friend is referring to the fact that some private monographers are not actually as skilled or licensed as you would want them to be. I know that there are plenty of articles going around these days about limiting the amount of ultrasounds you have, but when you read them it actually is referring to having private scans who do not have to necessarily be licensed or follow the same stringencies of a hospital. So the risk is not from the machine or procedure, but more an unskilled person doing it.

Here in the us, it is very much common practice to have transvaginal ultrasounds at your 8-10 week prenatal. I have had scans done as early as 4 weeks. One pregnancy, I had a scan 3 times in one week because the first scan showed nothing, the second showed an empty sac, and the third finally had a fetal pole. I panic and my gyn is offers a scan like a breath mint when you leave a restaurant. They are safe. You will be fine. Yes, you might have some bleeding but it's normal to spot after them. I usually had blood on the exam bed, but none for the rest of the day.

My gyn's take on mcs is that they are either going to happen or not for factors that were decided long before you knew you were pregnant. So outside of doing the extreme things we know not to do (and even then it is surprising what a fetus can live through), there is nothing you will do that will cause a mc or not cause a mc. So enjoy being pregnant. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->