UPDATE Early scan and hCGs

Fluxuspoem

Mama
Reaction score
So I had my early scan today... as some of you know I have been spotting for the past week non stop and I have a history of a previous silent miscariage that included a lot of spotting.

Anyway, I went to the EPU in Ealing Hospital and had a scan. My LMP was on the 1st of March so my gestational age is 7 weeks. I also know that my ovulation was on the 24th of March ( quite late) so I knew that the 7 week gestational mark would be way off.

The found a sac and a small yolk in it and the sac measured 12mm which apparently is around 4 or 4.5 weeks which according to my ovulation is about right. They didnt detect a fetal pole at this stage.

I also had hCgs done again and the results were 11,605 ( my previous one was 5 days ago and it was 2,256) which means that they definately doubled every 24hrs.:happydance:

That leaves me somehow in limbo, as I am scared that this may be a blighted ovum however the doctor said that if I am only 4 weeks a fetal pole cannot be detected. On the other hand I have read that if your Hcgs are over 10,000 a fetal pole should be visible.

Any ideas/ advise?

PS. Massive thank you to all the ladies that supported me by sending me messages yesterday from this community about good luck and all the positive vibes. This community does support me massively and I dont know how I would cope without this support.

:hug:

I'm really not sure I have an answer but did not want to read and run so just wanted to say that I really hope everything is ok I have fx for you xxx

yep :)i went for a scan at 4week+5 days and they were telling us we were not going to see anything at that stage ...we did saw 2 sacs for me ...:)but not fetal pole yet completly normal...

Hun, I know you're worried, but I've read a lot about this and while they say statistically it's a bad thing that they didn't see a fetal pole at your hCG level, I've read so many stories of women just like you who went on the have normal pregnancies. Everything is so small and it's not like they are looking inside with with HD. It's easy to miss things when they are so tiny.

Do you have a follow-up scan scheduled? Your baby will grow at an amazing rate and in even as little as week they should be able to get a clearer picture of what's going on.

I did a google search for you looking for a story like that. Here's the first one I found:

Summary: Her hCG (42,000) was much higher than yours and she was even measured as further along, but they didn't see a fetal pole. However, when she went back there was baby, happy and healthy. Chin up!

https://www.healthboards.com/boards/archive/index.php/t-442251.html
Thread Title: hcg 42,000 no fetal pole

Sweet73
10-30-2006, 09:40 PM
Well tomorrow I go back to the Dr for another u/s, but am terrified that we are having another m/c. I know that 5wks 5days CAN be early to see something, I guess it depends when you ovulate... but from what I understand, when hcg reaches 6000 you should see a fetal pole. Anyone have any experiences with happy outcomes? It would be greatly appreciated..
-Sweet

Kathp
10-31-2006, 06:43 AM
Sweet, please try not to worry. Your numbers are great. I've done extensive internet research on this for you and it nearly all concedes that you cannot expect to see a fetal pole before week 6 with a vaginal ultrasound and 6.5 weeks with a tummy scan. I actually mentioned this to my midwife yesterday! She confirmed what the research has turned up; she said that your doctors should perform a follow up scan in 7 to 10 days and at THAT point, she would expect that a fetal pole and a heart rhythm would be seen. She also said that HCG numbers are not usually indicative of whether or not a fetal pole can be detected on an early u/s. I think you are just still a little early on in your pregnancy. Please keep your spirits up and let me know how you get on. Thinking of you. ;)

Sweet73
10-31-2006, 07:31 AM
Thank you so much for looking into this for me!!!
That was so nice of you. My doctor told me Friday to come in 10 days from then, but I am just sooo sick all day long now, the spotting is still going on & I am too nervous to wait it out so going back in today. Will let you know what happens, 6 weeks 2 days today.
Thanks
Sweet

Sweet73
10-31-2006, 11:25 AM
Just got back from the Dr & we saw a heartbeat!!!
We are so happy & relieved. The dr still wants to see us again a week from today because of the spotting which I am thankful for.
Baby measured 6wks 1day, only 1 day off, but that is normal.
Take care!
-Sweet

Verstirse

Thank you so much for the google search, I was actually googling cases for the last hour or so to get my hopes high a bit!

I just have to start looking at it with a more positive view, but I am so scared to let go of my anxious fears and issues from my past miscarriage. Just scared that If I believe in this pregnancy too much and it doesnt progress, I will be completely devastated.

Anyway, its always so nice to hear it from someone else, so massive thanks and :hug:

I just went through the same thing...so I completely understand what you're feeling. I went for an early ultrasound Mar 27th when my HCG was over 10,000 and I was 5w6d. They saw an egg sac and a yolk sac, but no fetal pole or heartbeat. I just went back April 15 and they saw the baby and the heartbeat!

(Also - at the first scan they told me they couldn't even measure me at 5 weeks yet. However, when I went for the second scan everything had caught up and I was 8w3d.)

I know it's nerve wracking, but hang in there and have hope! Good luck! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->