*UPDATE* Help when to buy? Feel like I shouldn't just yet.......

Pippin

Sam and Adélie-Rose's Mum
Reaction score
Girls, How are you feeling about buying and organizing baby stuff? I started folding a few bits up today that I've been given (only bought a few bits myself) to put in the draws I've cleared for the baby. I sill feel like I shouldn't be doing it yet, I feel I'm tempting fate and couldn't help thinking I'm jinxing LO!!!! Help anyone else feel like this???...... I'm almost 21 weeks I have to start sometime don't I, but when???

Maybe a poll will help me and any thought on what are going to do.

*UPDATE*

Well ladies I went shopping today and bought shed loads of stuff for the baby :yipee: I think I have got over my fear of jinxing all this!! THANK YOU :happydance:

We bought all the bedding (bumper, 5 sheets, grow bag & two blankets), a bath set, the changing mat to go on the set of draws, nappies for newborns and wipes plus the nappy sacks. :yipee: So much fun when you have a clear idea of what you want to get. I gave myself things to buy and that's all I looked at and it was fine, no tears of overwhelming feelings. We went to two Mothercare's (because we bought a crib bumper not a cot bumper and had to take it back :dohh:) I've now put it all in it's bedroom in the empty draws I cleared and I now keep going back to look at it. Awww it's so cute.

Im just under 20 weeks just now and Ive started buying this week! Had my scan this week and everything was great so I just decided to go out and buy a few bits & bobs! :D:D xxx

My scan was good too, I just need to get over the fear of loosing lo :cry:

hey hun, i think the same about buying stuff and jinxing my LO too, but like a lady on here told me "it will happen if its meant to happen regardless if you buy things now or not" and as horrible as it is if something bad is meant to happen, then a few baby items wont necessarily affect ur LO's fate, if you know what i mean lol! do like i am hun, and just buy what you like and when your comfortable, and if there are some bargains then go for it hun, 99% of pregnancies do on fine and the babies come just perfect! enjoy your shopping hun and congrats to your healthy scan xxxxxx

You wise lady ashnbump thank you. I know your right and I'm never superstitious but now I've become a mad old little lady!!!

after a mmc last yr ive been so so scared wth this pregnancy , BUT as they say, wether u have things for baby or not if somat was guna happen it wud :? think of all the healthy pregnancies every single day hun !!
but BEWARE ........ once u start u cant stop, we starting at bout 18wk and had everything by 24wk :dance: still buying now, cos i cant stop :rofl::rofl: xx

with my girls i couldnt resist buying things and got the odd thing here and there until i hit 20 weeks and then started buying the bigger more expensive items. this one only thing i have bought is a pack of nappies and that was just to claim my free changing bag at boots. after two m/c i'm scared i'll jinx things by buying things. i go as far as looking at things but never picking them up and purchasing them.

i darent buy anything til after 24 weeks as at least then i know that the things bought may still have a chance at being used. if anything bad did happen with this baby not sure i could put myself through it again so couldnt even save anything i bought for the next baby iykwim.

thats just what i am doing though and not what i think you should do.

if your heart tells you buy something then buy it if it tells you to wait til a certain time then wait hunni. there is no right or wrong answer for this. x

after a mmc last yr ive been so so scared wth this pregnancy , BUT as they say, wether u have things for baby or not if somat was guna happen it wud :? think of all the healthy pregnancies every single day hun !!
but BEWARE ........ once u start u cant stop, we starting at bout 18wk and had everything by 24wk :dance: still buying now, cos i cant stop :rofl::rofl: xx

Awww thanks hon I think I just need that push and I know once I start I will not be able to stop. I went to Mothercare yesterday and left in tears and nothing as it was so overwhelming.

Everyone makes really good points!! Once you feel ready to buy things then just go for it! Everyone is different :D Even if its just wee things at first...then you can start buying the big things!

I left Mothercare feeling like crying too btw...I was like...."Wow!! There is so much and I just dont know what I need"...Its scary sometimes!!

look hun.. do it if you want.. and dont if you feel its not right. at the end of the day.. if its meant to be its gonna happen whether you have all the baby stuff prepared or not. x

I'm prepared in my head, been doing my research, but have only got a couple of outfits (which we bought because we both needed to feel excited about having a boy, it was a bit of a surprise! - and it worked).

I think I'm going to wait to actually buy the big things, the cot and pushchair, till after 24 weeks anyway, probably later, for reasons of storage and space as much as fear it's all going to go horribly wrong. I just would feel awful having stuff in the flat and then no baby for it. My OH's sister had a stillborn baby at about 36 weeks a while ago and I'm sure it was heartbreaking for her to have to go home and see her baby's things... it kind of haunts me and I wish it didn't. I know that what happened to someone else doesn't affect my baby's chances but... the fear I've been having is not letting up to any great degree, despite a healthy baby on the 21 week scan.

Mary Jo sorry about your SILs baby. It's our worst nightmare isn't it and we al know someone it has happened to I know I do. Maybe this is what is stopping me. I really do want to start but never realised it would be this difficult! Grrrr I'm sure once I start it won't stop :hugs:

We bought the first items (clothes) after our 12 week scan, then started buying the bigger things (moses basket, pram, etc.) after our 20 week scan. I'm almost 25wks & we've got almost everything.

Hey hun...

We bought the crib just after i was 12 weeks as the one we wanted was in the sale. We now have tons of clothes.. The crib.. Mobile.. Baby monitors.. Bottles and sterilizer.. Bits and peices for the baby's room. And the whole room has been re-decorated.
Once we started buying we just couldnt stop :dohh:! Especially since finding out that we are having a boy.

I think that if you feel like buying things then you should! Next time you are out shopping and you want a little something, you should buy it!! Its so nice to have that little reminder around the house that you are going to be a mummy soon :D.

:hugs:

I bought everything after my 20 week scan:hug:
TO be honest im sooooo glad i did, shopping now is near impossible, my only tip is dont leave it to late as u will always come up with things u still need to get etc!:hug:

Ok well i might be mad but i nearly have everything! From my pram to my bottles its done. All we need is clothing & blankets once i have had the sexing scan in a few weeks.

I am a great believer in what will be will be! me buying things aint gonna change it.

But if you are not ready then wait hun, as once i started buying babies things i found it hard to stop! I even brought little rattles etc just for the sake of buying them :lol:

Wow I think I'm being over cautious looking at how organized all you lovely ladies have been. I was desperate to get started at 12 weeks then I keep putting things back. So plan is to take in my list on Monday ( to a small non scary mothercare) and start buying a few small bits. Thank you so much ladies it's nice to hear your stories. I really appreciate it. X

I bought everything after my 20 week scan:hug:
TO be honest im sooooo glad i did, shopping now is near impossible, my only tip is dont leave it to late as u will always come up with things u still need to get etc!:hug:

Yes never thought of it this way thanks. X

I'm another one who freaked out in Mothercare (they must get it all the time!). I would say that it would be fine to start buying now, but you have LOADS of time. Don't feel pressured into it. You don't have to get everything sorted now either. Maybe one day when you are out, you might see a gorgeous outfit and go for it. I promise, it won't jinx your little one!

Try to relax, and when you feel happy, go for it and enjoy it.

hi,

there is no right or wrong time to buy - only when you feel ready.

i bought my pram when i was 9 weeks as it was reduced by nearly £200. yes i bought it but its not at my house, i said no to that. since then i have bought loads of stuff. if baby were to arrive in the next few weeks it would be ok apart from no milk (i'm bottle feeding) and nothing to sleep in, but the moses basket is coming from my friend as soon as i say bring it round. i may not have enough blankets and sheets for moses basket, or vests and babygrows if its a sicky baby etc, but got enough until i can send OH to a shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->