*UPDATE* Help when to buy? Feel like I shouldn't just yet.......

i started buying after 12 weeks but started getting the bigger stuff after my 20 week scan. i think it helps spread the cost.

I must be the other way round to everyone else! I'm scared of miscarrying too, but that hasn't stopped me starting to buy things, in fact it's made me buy more. I couldn't stand the thought that if this baby didn't make it, all I would have to do would be to get out my pre-pregnancy clothes and everything would look the same as before. I sort of feel like it's important for me to acknowledge the baby by buying it things... okay maybe I'm a shopaholic, but I don't feel like I'm jinxing anything by getting stuff.

I must be the other way round to everyone else! I'm scared of miscarrying too, but that hasn't stopped me starting to buy things, in fact it's made me buy more. I couldn't stand the thought that if this baby didn't make it, all I would have to do would be to get out my pre-pregnancy clothes and everything would look the same as before. I sort of feel like it's important for me to acknowledge the baby by buying it things... okay maybe I'm a shopaholic, but I don't feel like I'm jinxing anything by getting stuff.

:D I like this outlook!

Hi, i didnt buy anything till after 24 weeks but i wish i wouldve started sooner. Ive got most of the stuff i need now but still need to get more. Crazy rush now :loopy:. I did say when i found out was pregnant that i wouldnt start buying things before i reached 20 weeks. I wanted to know the babys gender so when i was buying things i could be more specific. I do wish i would have started a lot sooner though. So if you want to buy things now i would go for it xxx

You could always try mothercare online if you find the shops intimidating.... make a list and try to get a few things at once to save on delivery charges though. It also helps to cut down on buying things you don't really need just because they are near the till!

Pippin, can I just say though, the wee one on your profile pic is completely adorable - If mine turns out half as cute I'll be a happy bunny!

We have loads of baby stuff and have gradually bought it from about 15 weeks! I don't think there's anything wrong with it at all, like other girls have said if things are meant to happen they will regardless.......and the big likelihood is nothing will go wrong anyway!

Enjoy!

i'm starting to buy after my 20 week scan honey.
just feels right to wait til then.
but we have loads of stuff that people have just given to us, so im not sure what the distinction is in my head for waiting..x

We brought the pram, pushchair at 9 weeks as it was in a sale and we saved over £300 its been in the house since, then things here and there like car seat and base, nursery furniture set. I did my first big shop at 24 weeks but that was due to waiting for my mum to come up, DH hates shopping bless him, and now this week my MIL is coming and we are going for the last big shop, I really wouldn't want to wait any longer Im so tired, big and painful under bump. You have to do what you feel is right, if something is going to happen it will hun, I know that sounds bad buying things will not stop it. Enjoy shopping its great fun, take care :hugs: XX

Aww ladies you are all so wonderful and very right. I think once I start I won't feel so bad and I really am excited at the thought of shopping with a wonderful reason too. I'm planning to go shopping tomorrow in Mothercare and spend some money. I think once I get over that hurdle I'll be fine. I can't thank you enough girls you are all wonderful and so reassuring. x

Everyones different really. Iam 23 weeks and this is my first baby - had a mmc last year .So iam extremly nervous and scared.

Ive not bought any items yet however iam looking hard and making note of things.For me i find it easier to get the larger items sorted e.g pram , cot , moses , changing unit etc. Then ill probably take my time with the basic clothes and also buy more when baby is here and i know her size etc and what the weather is like.

there no right or wrong - some people buy as soon as they find out they are pregnant but i personally think once your in 2nd trimester and you've had both scans etc and everything is so far too good then it isnt a bad idea to really looks around/buy few bits. xx

Really interesting to hear everyones thoughts.

This was the big question for me which brought me over to the 2nd Tri forum to see what approach everybody else is taking.

Firstly, I don't want to jump the gun I guess.
Not so much for fear of anything sad happening, but more because I don't want to over spend or buy the wrong things.

For me it makes more sense to focus on the things which are less variable, like cot and pram, car seat etc... where with clothes, even though I like neutral things for newborns, I'd like to know the sex first, and you never know if you're having a dainty wee thing or a hippo ;)

There's always the point that a baby could come early, and I don't want to be in a rush at the end.

I just don't want people thinking I'm crazy ;)

eBay has some great bargains, and I guess for now I'm telling myself to wait - I just hope I won't kick myself later.

My biggest question is 'What do I need?' - I could really do with a guide on this, just not a stupid one ;)

There is a list in the back of mothercare book or there are threads on here giving the basics. I have a list of things I want on my computer and when I see something I like I site it. Now all I have to do is go out and buy. I'm a good researcher I'll give myself that pat on the back. Once I start I know what I want at least!

Whenever u are ready but dont leave it until 35wks u will be too tired x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"