*update* Negative ultrasound, what and who to believe? Opinions please!

I might be wrong here, but at my 6 week scan last pregnancy they told me that the heartbeat couldn't be heard but it could be seen as a flicker of electrical activity which becomes a heartbeat as baby develops?

My heart rate was definitely not measured at my scans, it was merely observed to check if it is present - I think people implying that her doctor may be lying, or that the us machine always records heart rate is going to cause what may be unnecessary worry.

I am also a huge fan of dr. Google - I know exactly how big my baby should be, what symptoms to expect, what my baby is doing developmentally, miscarriage statistics etc for each day of my pregnancy so far. I actually suffer from anxiety over my own health due to excessive googling, and my doctor insisted that I stay away from google for health related enquiries!
The heart rate does sound a bit on the low side, but I am sure your doctor knows what he is talking about! Maybe call him for another chat and explain what you have found online and why it is worrying you.

I also want to add that you are your own statistic. My risk of miscarrying two consecutive pregnancies was 5% and guess what? I was in that 5%! Just hoping that I don't make the 1% who suffer 3 ...

All the best, keep us updated!

Hi everyone,,
So first ultrasound today 7+3 and all seemed fairly positive, doctor said all looked ok but said heart rate 80bpm! (Transvaginal scan)
I thought this was slow and asked him about it and he said oh it starts slow and then will get faster!!
Came home and done research...and I mean medical journals!
So it seems my little bubbas heart rate is way way outside the realms of normal!:cry:
The medical journals state 100%, 86% and 78% miscarriage rate at 7 weeks if the heart rate is under 100bpm.......well I'm 7+3 and Heart rate 80bpm!!:nope:

Hubby called the doctor and he's going to rescan me next fri but still says it's fine!!!
Who do I believe....I want to trust my doctor but the medical statistics are damming!
Can anyone offer me a story of hope! (Ie someone that had heart rate of less than 100bpm!):cry:

My son's heart rate was low (according to the doctor)-- but a bit higher than yours--at 5w6d it was 95 and they were concerned, but he's two now.

You could always call your doctor back and ask him why you've read so many negative things about this online...I mean, ask why there's a discrepancy and why he's so sure everything will be okay. Maybe that will help? Maybe he will be able to give you some more encouragement. I hope everything turns out great. Maybe your doctor has seen other patients with low h/b's who have positive outcomes.

If I were in your situation, I'm not really sure what/who I'd believe. Of course I'd want to believe my doctor, but I did a lot of research about slow h/b's and read a lot of the same info as you, so I'd probably be skeptical unfortunately. When they diagnosed me as "threatened miscarriage" I also had other symptoms like bleeding and cramping. It's great that you don't have bleeding or cramping.

It's interesting though b/c I've read a few different stories about women going in for an u/s at 6 weeks and not seeing much and then everything is fine at 7 weeks, so maybe your little bean's heart really did JUST begin beating! I will say a prayer for you!

Thanks everyone, I do appreciate you taking the time to answer!
To be honest iv started to come to terms with the info a bit now! (Or more that worrying doesn't help and in fact can only make things worse!) :nope:
I know statistically it doesn't look good for my little bean but someone has to be the minority/miracle so I'm just going to hold onto some hope and do the best I can over the next week. :shrug:
Right now I'm pregnant and I'm thankful for that.
X

Hi

I do not want to give you any false hope but thought I share my story with you. When I was pregnant with my son, I had an early private scan at 6+4 and baby measured small being 4mm and heart rate of 69. The lady looked a long time for a heartbeat and said it's not looking great but maybe heart just started beating now. I started spotting and was referred to the EPU a couple of days later. At the scan there at 6+6, the sonographer measured baby 3mm and could not find a heartbeat but did not really look. She just said I should come back next week.

I was worried sick but I somehow felt that baby is still alive. I told myself that the machine was old etc. A week later baby measured 10mm and had a strong heartbeat and he is now 2.5 years old :).

So, the machines are not all perfect as I am 100% certain that my baby's heartbeat did not stop...

Thinking about you and hope you get good news!

Wow great story Marlene! That's awesome. Some hope for the OP.

Yeah nice one Marlene. Maybe the machines aren't always perfect after all :)

I was never told a number until my 12 week scan, just shown the flicker on the screen, I don't think the tell you numbers over here as a rule. I hope you get some reassurance at your next scan hun XXXX

I would also think that if baby is measuring on track, thats got to be a good sign too.

Best of luck hun and hope it all works out xx

you said your doc agreed to rescan you next friday meaning tomorrow, after your hubby called?

it's good to know they're available for that and are taking care of you! keep us posted and good luck!!

Yes if it's today good luck and keep us posted. Im sure you won't need luck though honey xx

Yes if it's today good luck and keep us posted. Im sure you won't need luck though honey xx

Thanks everyone, unfortunately it's next Friday so still got a weeks wait but I'm keeping busy!
Xx wishing you all a Good Friday and a lovey weekend ! Xx

UPDATE!!! Ultrasound today showed little bean has grown to 19.3 mm and heart rate has picked up to around 130. My OB is happy and now I'm thankful for my little growing bean. Although I'm not out of the woods yet (i guess until you have a baby in your arms you never are!) it just shows that medical journals/articles etc just don't allow for personal differences!
Wishing everyone happy and healthy pregnancies and thanking everyone that offered support and hope to me! :happydance::happydance::flower::flower::flower:
Thanks xx

I'm so happy to hear it! You must be so excited and relieved.

I'm so happy to read this! Really great news, hopefully now you will be able to relax at least a little bit Xx

Excellent! That is such wonderful news! Congratulations!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->