UPDATED WITH PICS! The hook effect... exists?? right????

sarahchops86

lexie and logan's mummy
Reaction score
Found a lone pregnancy test in a bathroom drawer, of course I used it I have no willpower! SO FAINT. like 10dpo faint! My brain said " ah so thats the hook effect" but obviously im not listening to my brain :haha: if I was to dilute my wee, it'd be dark right?:blush:

I've seen posts where people test the hook effect, and it does exist :winkwink:

Search it on youtube! You'll see for yourself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jbddPAp_KbE

Here it is, lol

Yes, definitely if you are 9 weeks!! Demonstrated it myself on cheapy strips when pregnant with ds2!

Awesome video! I'd be too tight to use FRER tho :haha:

I think you've got a good chance :) But damn that video stressed me out and I wasn't even POAS!!!

WOW. Love that video! Obviously this means I'm off to tesco for some cheapys :haha: for science!

My hook effect thread from this pregnancy, and I'm still happily pregnant and ready to pop!!
https://babyandbump.momtastic.com/p...177709-8-week-2-day-hpt-hook-effect-test.html

Thanks thats so cool! I'm going to see if my husband will pick me up some tests (and disposable cups) today- If I explain the science behind it he might be interested enough not to refuse and call me crazy :haha: DS is loaded with the cold and cough so I can't quite justify dragging him to tesco (although I REALLLLLLY want to).

soooo... I managed to get 4 tesco own brand tests the results were SO interesting!https://i60.tinypic.com/23k9rx5.jpg
:haha: :haha:
The first is 100% wee
Second is 50% water 50% wee
Third is 75% water 25% wee
Last is 95% water 5% wee
SO COOL

edited to add the circle window is the control line, the square is the test window

Mine was very dark from the first test but this is really interesting

I don't get it. Also. Why so many tests? I'll was wondering this when I was 4 weeks pregnant. The doctor told me one reason I'm miscarriage is cuz my hcg levels were low and my pregnancy test was probably a faint line. It wasn't extremely dark dark but the box doesn't say qnything to me about darkness of a line and not really being pregnant if it's a light line. Also I know some who have had miscarriages and like a months later, they still test positive because there are traces of hormones. Please help me understand. Thanks: )

The hook effect is a phenomenon (supposedly its rare) where the concentration of the pregnancy hormone in your urine is so high that the test cant actually pick it up (i guess it just confuses it) I am 9 1/2 weeks pregnant, I got normal progression in early pregnancy, but took a test yesterday that was light (when it should technically be SUPER dark)
The reason theres 4 tests is that apparently if you suspect your tests are light because your hormones are super high you should dilute your urine with water, therefore diluting the hormone to a level the tests can pick up appropriately. So I took one with 100% urine, one with 50% water and 50% urine- gets a little darker, 75% water 25% urine, then finally mostly water with just a tiny bit of urine in it- and this was my darkest positive :) Hope that helps!

The hook effect is a phenomenon (supposedly its rare) where the concentration of the pregnancy hormone in your urine is so high that the test cant actually pick it up (i guess it just confuses it) I am 9 1/2 weeks pregnant, I got normal progression in early pregnancy, but took a test yesterday that was light (when it should technically be SUPER dark)
The reason theres 4 tests is that apparently if you suspect your tests are light because your hormones are super high you should dilute your urine with water, therefore diluting the hormone to a level the tests can pick up appropriately. So I took one with 100% urine, one with 50% water and 50% urine- gets a little darker, 75% water 25% urine, then finally mostly water with just a tiny bit of urine in it- and this was my darkest positive :) Hope that helps!
ur a very good explainer. I get it. Thank you for taking the time to explain

Can I ask why u people do this in the first place? Like if they already know they are pregnant

If I had £11 spare per test, I'd do this!

It'd freak me out a little knowing a faint line could be lack of HCG though.

ur a very good explainer. I get it. Thank you for taking the time to explain

Can I ask why u people do this in the first place? Like if they already know they are pregnant

Well I just found a pregnancy test in a bathroom cupboard that I had forgotten about- took it so I could see how dark the line was, and it wasn't very dark at all. I remembered reading about the hook effect and when people said it was a real thing- I decided to do my own experiment lol!

I had my "confirmation of pregnancy" appt today. (I thought it was just my first appt :wacko:) They literally did a urine test & said "yup, you're pregnant, see you in 2 weeks!" I so badly wanted to ask to see it! The thought also crossed my mind to 'take' a test out of their drawer & play with it at home! If I had more test I'd use them!
Very neat experiment sarah! Thanks for sharing!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->