Upset with Midwife at 28 wk appoinment

neeemes

Reaction score
I know this is a bit of a rant and probably totally over reacting. Im 28 weeks pregnant, healthy and had a good pregnancy up to know suffering with either a bit of PGP or syatica (midwives are giving conflicting diagnosis!)

Anyway, had the check up yesterday and midwife asked when i was giving up work. I told her that i am planning to work up to the due date. I am a police officer but am on light duties and stuck in the office in the day so its not a stressful job! she had a right go at me saying I was silly to work up to that date and that I had to rest and i was only going to get worse with the problems of PGP/syactica towards the later stages of pregnancy. I am feeling absolutley fine at the moment and me and hubby have discussed if i feel i cant go into work then i will stop nearer the end and get signed off sick.

then she and the student midwife attempted to get blood from me, both missed the veins so i ended up like a pin cushion and have to see the nurse next week for her to have a go! I felt a bit gidy having needles stuck in me so she told me to put me head between my legs and take deep breaths to stop me keeling over and said it was good practice for contractions. Hubby was there with me and refered to them as Surges - as we are doing hypno birthing - her response "whatever" :dohh:

she just seemed so negative about everything. has anyone else had a bad experience with a midwife or been told off for wanting to stay at work as long as possible??

naomi

Aww honey. I've experienced the same with my consultant! I've got a history of high bp (under control with meds, touch wood) and when I was about 28 weeks, she asked when I was finishing and I said 37 weeks and she snorted and laughed at me and said that was ridiculous.
I then had a lecture about how 'maternity leave was not just about being at home with baby, it is about keeping yourself rested and healthy too' she then said I should of being finishing at 34 'at the very latest'.

In fairness however, I did work until 35+4 and I struggled. I thought at 28 weeks I could have done it no problem, and like you said to everyone that I was fine cos I was doing an office job. Not the case really.
Just wanted to make you aware that it may not work out that you can work that close to, esp if you are already suffering a little.
x

thank you for your reply, i had the same lecture, maybe it was the same midwife!!! :haha:

but i know what you mean, and me and hubby have discussed it and if i am finding it difficult i will give up work earlier, the telling off just annoyed me!!

x

I have not had the lecture from my MW yet, but still feel that she is not the greatest of MW's. I have to say though that I thought I was gonna be able to work upto a week before I'm due as I have a desk job, but I am really struggling now, it really isn't as easy as I thought..... I am now getting lectures from my mum and partner as they can see how much I'm struggling. I have now pulled my leave date forward by a week and a bit, so as of next weds I have finished :happydance::happydance::happydance: I also never thought I would get to the stage of being completely fed up with being pregnant, but I have been feeling more and more like that over the last week or so.....:shrug:

Its such a shame when midwives are so horrible!! I often see these stories where they just dont seem to care, or are rude and abrupt! Just do what you feel comfortable with, you know your own body, dont over work yourself. Good luck for the rest of your pregnancy xx

If I had had the choice on when to leave work, I would have worked up until 38 weeks ish, but only because I wanted to be able to sort out the house before the birth. Otherwise I would have worked until the DD because I too want as much time as possible at home with the baby.

If you're happy to continue working, I don't see what your MW's problem is. It's your choice and you are the one in the discomfort. If the baby comes earlier than your due date, as long as it's healthy then there's no problem :shrug:

And I know what you mean about being a pin cushion. I was in A&E once, waiting over 5 hours to be seen. You can't have food or drink when you're waiting, so my blood sugar level went right down, and I was already in shock from my injury. When they saw how pale I was they tested my blood sugar, and subsequently made it worse because I almost fainted. Then they just laughed and said "we can't get any blood from you; you must be a reluctant giver" - then they force fed me really sugary tea, which I instantly threw up (because I hate the taste of tea), and then things just escalated from there. Sometimes medics have no idea :nope:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->