Urgent advice needed about chicken!!

Boomerslady

Reaction score
I was meant to be having chicken for dinner this evening, but my OH just informed me he forgot to get it out of the freezer!

The eejit has defrosted it under a cold tap, and has said it's fine. I don't believe him, and my mum just said she wouldn't eat it either, just in case.

My OH is now p*ssed off with me as he thinks I'm being overly dramatic! What do you ladies think......is it safe to eat?

I would be wary about eating it too. I am wary about chicken at the best of times let alone now i'm pregnant. Chicken's can take quite a while to defrost, i.e. in the fridge overnight.

I wouldnt eat it personally, you have to be so careful with chicken!

he defrosted a chicken under a cold tap? Thats a new one on me! How long was it sat out for? It depends on what temperature it got too, how you are going to cook it etc.
I wouldnt want to eat a chicken thats been run under a cold tap for the plain reason I dont think it would be as nice!!!

My OH is now p*ssed off with me as he thinks I'm being overly dramatic

^^ my oh like that with me loads, even when am not pregnant ^^

Im sure i seen on tv had defroze it in boiling water though not cold. I wouldnt eat it, im to fussy!

why didnt he just defrost it in the microwave. Daft git.

Although before microwaves, my mum used to defrost stuff under the cold tap, but told me off if I used the warm tap as it warms it up too quickly.

Personally - I wouldnt worry about it.

Found this too.

https://www.ask.com/questions-about/Defrost-Chicken-Quickly

Thanks ladies, I'm still a bit unsure!! He basically got it straight from the freezer & put it under the tap.

Hes worked in kitchens before & said they do it all the time and no one got sick.

Buffy - I'm tempted to trust what that website says! It's all we have in the house to eat!!

We were going to cut it up and fry it in some sticky BBQ sauce so it won't affect the taste too much.

Arghh what to do.....

I did some more online looking and seems it is something that big kitchens etc do all the time and its an approved way of defrosting quickly (though I still think it would taste weird!) Id just be sure it is prepared properly and cooked thoroughly.

I personally wouldnt i dont think im very fussy.

That's how we thaw all our food, so I'm a bit confused. I fill up a sink with water (usually warm, not cold) and put the meat (still in package) in the sink till thawed. The frozen meat makes the water cold pretty quick anyway.

It wouldnt worry me, as long as I was convinced that the meat was thoroughly cooked through I would still eat it. I defrosted bacon that way last week!

I use my microwave to defrost chicken but you can use water to defrost it. You wouldn't want to warm it in warm water as sitting in warm water could cause bacteria to multiply and then if not properly cooked these would continue to multiply. if chicken reaches a hot enough temperature for long enough bacteria would be killed off. Alot of problems with poultry is it being undercooked.

It will be fine but sounds ming. We forgot to get chicken out too ad ended up in Mcdonalds! I'm sure you'll wind up better off than me for it too. Haha.

Thanks for all the advice ladies. I'd almost got to the point of thinking it was ok, then I got home and my OH has binned them!! His mum said it wasn't safe & he listened to her!!!

Looks like I'll be having sausages & spagetti hoops for dinner!!!

Femme - I wish I could go to maccy ds!! I'm not allowed it as I have gallstones :(

So weird. I took a poll and everyone I know uses water to thaw their meat. Maybe it's a US thing, but that's what my mom always did too. I don't like to use the microwave as it always ends up partially cooking the meat and makes it taste funny. Go figure. Anyway, sounds like it's no longer an issue.

Ooh, ouch. I don't understand why that means no McDonalds though?

No way! Don't eat it, i wouldn't risk it. I don't think the water would have penetrated to the middle of the chicken. I worked in a kitchen and never saw that...

Ooh, ouch. I don't understand why that means no McDonalds though?

The attacks are caused by eating too much fat, or certain trigger foods (I read about someone who had an attack after eating onions!) every time I've had fast food in the evening (I only get attacks at night) I get ill :(

I thaw meat like that too,in warm water,not too hot though. As long as it's definitely defrosted before cooking and you cook it well,i can't see why you shouldn't eat it.....i would. Personally i'd cut into thin strips so you know its cooked well
Enjoy your Dinner :0)

There's no risk with eating the chicken if it's been defrosted this way - I've defrosted food this way before (although not directly in contact with the water - it's always been in a plastic bag or the original plastic packaging). You'll be fine as long as the chicken is eventually cooked throughly. xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->