Urgent...Chances of getting chicken pox?

This page has some information on it regarding chickenpox and the vaccine.
https://www.adultvaccination.org/vpd/chickenpox/facts.html

I was in the local swimming pool this morning in the learning pool with my DD when this lady swims upto me and says I just noticed you getting in and that your pregnant. Dont worry about my sons chicken pox they are scabbed over now. To which I looked at the boy and he has all scabby spots on his face!!. Kinda freaked out about it.
No idea why she would take him swimming. Annoyed that she did!!

I was in the local swimming pool this morning in the learning pool with my DD when this lady swims upto me and says I just noticed you getting in and that your pregnant. Dont worry about my sons chicken pox they are scabbed over now. To which I looked at the boy and he has all scabby spots on his face!!. Kinda freaked out about it.

No idea why she would take him swimming. Annoyed that she did!!

Once chicken pox have scabbed over they're no longer contagious. Not sure why she pointed it out to you though -you probably wouldn't have noticed!

If everyone who will be in contact with her has had chickenpox, then there is no reason to worry. You can only get chicken pox directly from someone who currently has an infection and in rarer cases, from someone who has shingles if you have no immunity (no childhood chickenpox and no recent vaccination). It couldn't pass to your husband to your daughter without your daughter having direct contact (and it would be even less likely if it's shingles).

The controversy over the vaccine is that there is no really reliable data that it affords lifelong protection. I think the most recent data is that it gives 13-20 years of protection (and then you'd have to get re-vaccinated as an adult, presumably, which wouldn't happen often, as you see already how many people shun flu jabs as adults). Getting chicken pox as a child is usually, but not always, relatively mild. Getting it as an adult is potentially much more serious, and being exposed during pregnancy can lead to stillbirth. So I think one of the worries (and one, but not the only reason, it's not offered on the NHS) is that it will create a generation of adults - and especially women in their childbearing years - who are potentially not immune to chicken pox (or shingles). This would be pretty bad from a public health standpoint. Now, of course, the data may well prove that it does offer enough immunity for lifelong protection or at least enough to prevent the really concerning outcomes of adult infection, like stillbirth. And of course, adults could always just be responsible enough to get follow-up vaccinations, but we know adults aren't very good at doing those sorts of things. On the issue of the vaccine, personally I wouldn't opt for my daughter to have it because I don't want to run the risk of her not having lifelong protection. I'd rather her just get chickenpox, but she's healthy and it would likely be a pretty mild infection, not anything serious (not so for kids with certain health conditions).

But for the OP, I wouldn't necessarily be too worried about chickenpox in this case, assuming whoever does go to see the aunt has had chickenpox as a child, especially as it doesn't even sound like she herself has an active infection, right?

That's crazy way of thinking about it IMHO because eveno if you get it you (rarely) could get it again, what if my dd got it while I was pregnant and I've never been exposed? That poses just as much of a risk...
Nah , I'll opt for vaccine and then check her titers when she gets close to child bearing age. It's not that unreasonable. Better than shingles later in life!

But presumably you know if you have had chickenpox or not pinkpassion?

They also think it makes you less likely to have shingles to get the vaccine but they dont really know that until the generation who is vaccinated gets older, it could turn out to be the opposite.

I'm generally pro vaccine but it has to be said there is not a lot iof solid info about the chicken pox vac yet so I can understand why some parents are reluctant.

I've never had chicken pox my mom said, but my dr always checks titers and I'm immune so was exposed or vaccinated at one point!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->