Using a Flask for Formula Feeds?

Trixter

Reaction score
I'd really appreciate some advice on this.

I was talking to my HV, and I mentioned how difficult it would be to follow the instructions on the formula regarding waiting 30 minutes for cooled boiled water before making up a feed (it means baby could wake for a feed and end up waiting for 40 minutes before getting it, by which time he'd go mad! LOL)

Anyway, it was suggested that when going out, or for night-time feeds, I could consider using a flask.

I have a brand new stainless steel flask in my house, and wondered(sorry if it's a stupid question) ...How do I ensure the flask itself is safely clean fill in the water for the feeds? Obviously all my actual baby bottles are thoroughly sterilised, after being washed with soap and hot water, but is there a specific way to ensure the flask itself is clean? Or is the fact that I fill it with boiling water make it safe? (As in, boiling water is sterile etc) ...It's a new one - I have not even used it before and want to know how to make sure it's clean to use for the first time.

*Sorry I made a typing mistake in that post: I am basically asking how to make sure the stainless steel flask is thoroughly clean and safe to use for the first time for baby? Do I just rinse it with boiling water before I use it for the formula, to ensure it's clean?

Boiling water should be fine but u could buy some Milton if you are worried and use that

Seconding the sterilising tablets if it worries you; where I live they sell them in Boots with baby bottles etc. If you have a dishwasher that should be adequate to sterilise them from what I've read online, but I understand wanting to do more than that (I did!)

thank you, both.

I thought it made sense, to use Milton like I would with bottles however there was stuff online saying some sanitisers are corrosive on stainless steel. Really strange. I guess I really have no choice but to use boiling water then.

Is there any members here who have used flask method of feeding and if so how did you clean it?

I wash my flask out once in a while in soapy water. I don't really like using Milton - that is my personal preference though. I know a lot of people use it. I'd definitely recommend using a flask. Is much easier and means you'll always have water at the right temperature to hand.

I wash my flask out once in a while in soapy water. I don't really like using Milton - that is my personal preference though. I know a lot of people use it. I'd definitely recommend using a flask. Is much easier and means you'll always have water at the right temperature to hand.

Thank you. I definitely want to use a flask, I just wondered the best way to clean it especially after reading not to clean stainless steel with Milton etc. So I think I will do as you said - wash in warm soapy water then rinse and clean out in boiling water. Did you find any type of flask does the trick? I have two new 500ml stainless steel. I hope they will be ok. :)

I didn't breastfeed because I didn't have my own milk, so both my babies were fed on formula. I used these Avent bottles

https://kidishare.com/philips-avent-bottles-set/

and this Avent sterilizer.

https://kidishare.com/philips-avent-microwave-steam-sterilizer/

At the beginning I washed the bottles with soap and then sterilised them in the microwave steam sterilizer every day. Then when my babies were around 4 months I still washed the bottles every day, but I sterilised them just twice a week.
The sterilizer is very practical. You just wash the bottles (and also other baby stuff like pacifiers), you put them in the sterilizer and then you put it in the microwave for a few minutes. Really easy to use!!! I really recommend it! It saves you a lot of time and energy :)

Heres what we do in regards to formula.

*clean and sterilize bottles.
*boil kettle.
*in each bottle (make 4 at a time) put in how many oz baby is taking.
*put teats and lids on bottles.
*leave at room temperature.
*add formula as needed.

You can warm bottles if u want to but even in the hospital now they give baby formula at room temp!

This way you have a clean sterilized bottle with water ready to be used when u need it! We used the flask for my son for a while (hes now 3) then we realized we could feed at room temp so started doing it this way.

My HV knows i do it this way (with our daughter now 7weeks) and I think it is the most standard way nowadays.

Oh and I second the microwave sterilizer. Its much easier n takes up less room than an electric too!!

Thank you. I definitely want to use a flask, I just wondered the best way to clean it especially after reading not to clean stainless steel with Milton etc. So I think I will do as you said - wash in warm soapy water then rinse and clean out in boiling water. Did you find any type of flask does the trick? I have two new 500ml stainless steel. I hope they will be ok. :)

I use this one: Thermos Stainless King Flask, 470 ml - Midnight Blue https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001ET6P96/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apip_nBOPvVaB1B4Jt. You can get two feeds in it. It's brill because it keeps water hot enough overnight. Any thermos flask should be ok although I've found in the past the cheap ones don't retain heat as well.

I love my Avent microwave steriliser as well. Only problem is you need quite a large microwave for it to fit in as I discovered after purchasing it when it wouldn't fit in my microwave. Luckily (?) my old
microwave broke recently so I deliberately replaced it with a larger one so I could use the steriliser 😂

*boil kettle.
*add formula as needed.

You can warm bottles if u want to but even in the hospital now they give baby formula at room temp!

This way you have a clean sterilized bottle with water ready to be used when u need it! We used the flask for my son for a while (hes now 3) then we realized we could feed at room temp so started doing it this way.

My HV knows i do it this way (with our daughter now 7weeks) and I think it is the most standard way nowadays.

Oh and I second the microwave sterilizer. Its much easier n takes up less room than an electric too!!
That's interesting. Are u based in the UK?

I would clean and sterlise the flask just as you would for bottles, but obviously not every time (once a day should be fine). Personally I use milton's on flasks and have for years without any problems (literally like the same flask which I've had for 10 years).

Personally, I found it was much easier to use ready made cartons when out and to make bottles in advance or boil water in advance when home though. I found the flask frankly worked too well and the water was still boiling hot hours later. I could have just boiled the kettle! I found it was easier to just remember to boil the kettle a little in advance of when I expected I'd need it and not waste my time with an extra thing to clean. Also I found the water in the flask would cool down too much by later in the day so I was still re-boiling the kettle to replace it when it wasn't hot anymore.

I don't know how it would have been in the early weeks (was still bf), but certainly by 2-3 months it was easy to plan ahead. I knew she would be hungry roughly every 3-4 hours so if it was around 10-11am, at 9-9:30 I'd boil the kettle and make the bottle roughly 30 minutes after that. By the time it cooled she would likely want it soon, but anyway it was still fine at room temp for 2 hours so I could make it even earlier if that was easier. During the night, I made them in advance and reheated in boiled water which took about as long as cooling a fresh one, so all the same.

When out, the cartons, though expensive, were worth the convenience. I did do it from the flask when out for about a month but I didn't think it was worth it for the hassle after that.

*boil kettle.
*add formula as needed.

That's interesting. Are u based in the UK?

Yes I'm in south england. Most mums I know do it this way. That way at home or out and about you always have that bottle ready n less to carry round with you. Just your bottles and pre-measured formula :thumbup:

Hi I had 2 types of flasks, 1 proper thermos which kept it very hot and one like a covered coffee cup like you'd have at work which cooled down a lot quicker. Then I just mixed it to the right temp-about 2 thirds hot to one third cool I think. I washed them with hot soapy water and rinsed with cool then just put boiling in. I would take both out with me with a pot of formula if out for a couple of feeds or a ready made carton if out for one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->