Using freezer stash

cautious...

Reaction score
Hi ladies.

I have a couple of questions about using my freezer stash which I have been building up for a couple of months. I hope they are not stupid questions!

- I pump and often freeze two pumping sessions together. I assume that some of my freezer portions contain different ratios of hind and foremilk compared with what baby may take in one feed (if this makes sense?!) will this make a difference to feeding times etc? Does your LO still go as long between feeds when taking expressed milk?

Also - I know milk composition changed according to babies need and even time of day but would it matter if I give the odd few bottles of milk from a month or so ago?

I haven't missed a bf since i stopped combi feeding weeks ago but would like to start going out occasionally etc

Thank you in advance! Xx

I wouldn't worry about the milk composition. Yes, it is slightly different at different times a day, but many moms pump in the morning and feed later in the day (which works well because supply is naturally higher in the morning) without problems.

You can absolutely give milk from a month or so ago. Milk is good in the back of the freezer for up to 6 months, or in a chest-style freezer for a year.

You didn't say, but I assume you are combining milk of the same temperature before freezing? Not adding freshly pumped milk to frozen or chilled milk? That's important.

Make sure that if you use milk on a regular basis, you are pumping enough to make up for it. Otherwise your supply will start to decrease. This is less of a concern if you are just going to use frozen milk every so often (rather than the same time every day).

Thank you for your reply! I do make sure I combine milk at the same temperature. I am only planning on using it for the odd night or afternoon out every few weeks or so - I will pump when I get in etc. I do have an overnight stay away next month but I will take my pump!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->