UTI infection anyone?

kateqpr

Reaction score
Just wondered....i had a doc appointment today at the hospital, and as usual i gave them a urine sample....

Now today my stomach muscles have been feeling a bit achey, and i've been weeing quite a lot (but also drinking more....) and have been wondering if this is the beginning of a UTI?

But i'm also thinking - when the hospital test your urine sample - do they automatically test for UTI's, along with protein and glucose?

Bit confused. And weeing tonnes (but sometimes i've pee'd loads during this pregnancy so it's hard to tell what's new or my imagination..)

thanks!

it's quite easy to tell (i find)
the start you FEEL like you need to pee ALL the time, and you can't. Nothing much comes out.

Then, if you can pee you cry a bit, because it hurts, it hurts so much that you threaten to kill the doctors receptionist if she doesn't try a bit harder to get you an appointment NOW.

Drinking cranberry juice can be helpful in the early stages.
I think they just test glucose and protein.

I don't know to be honest hun. Helpful I know lol!

Hmmm, well i'm not threatening violence to any health workers yet...(i like your style Beancounter!) just can't stop weeing and a bit achey. But hey, i feel like that sometimes.

Think i'll go to gp tomorrow so i can pee for them and see what they think. Best to nip these things in the bud i guess. And i will glug cranberry all day too.

Well... I had a doctors appointment one day and he tested my urine and said it was fine but later that night I started to get really bad pains in my stomach and ended up going to the hospital and they tested my urine and said that I had a UTI. So Im really not sure whether or not they always test for it. They should do though. Hope you get it sorted
Xx

it's quite easy to tell (i find)
the start you FEEL like you need to pee ALL the time, and you can't. Nothing much comes out.

Then, if you can pee you cry a bit, because it hurts, it hurts so much that
you threaten to kill the doctors receptionist if she doesn't try a bit harder to get you an appointment NOW.

Drinking cranberry juice can be helpful in the early stages.
I think they just test glucose and protein.

yep this is how it was for me also

when they dip test your urine they test for sugar protein blood nitrates and lucazites (dont quote me on that baaaaad spelling) if you have traced of lucazites + or nitrates they usually send the sample off to the lab to se eif you have a uti. ive had constant utis this pregnancy they are horrid make sure you drink plenty of water

xx

Hmmm, well i'm not threatening violence to any health workers yet...(i like your style Beancounter!)

You might be lucky, but the function of receptionists round here is not to facilitate you seeing a doctor but to prevent you from bothering him. Ever.
Even when I had a bleed they were like.. umm.. we can fit you in in two weeks time?? So you have to be a bit forceful, and basically tell them, Look, I will be seeing my doctor today, if it means waiting outside the surgery and ambushing him on the way home, so be it. I mean I wouldn't threaten them unless I felt it was urgent, it's just they seem to think that anything less than imminent death can be dealt with next fortnight.

Anyhoo, good luck at the doctors.

The symptoms you have sound exactly like mine, and my midwife thinks I have one from the urine test she did, just waiting for results today. But the cramping and needing to go to the loo and then not going def sound like it, they are so annoying, but apparantly common in pregnancy!

I had a bad one just over a wk ago u get really painful cramps at the bottom of ur tummy and possibly the bottom of ur back. They will dipstick it there for u so they can prescribe antibiotics if needed!

I've had a couple during pregnancy, they've always been picked up by the midwife when they test my urine. They do a dip test and it's normally the protein levels that indicate if you have a uti. I'd drink lots of water and cranberry juice for a couple of days and see if you can flush it out, if it's still as bad go to the doctors and they can give you anti-biotics, normally cefalexin which is safe to use in pregnancy. Hope you feel better soon honey :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->