Vaccines in pregnancy and to young children

c.m.c

3 daughters 🌸🌸🌸
Reaction score
Ok so I thought I'd post here as I'd really like to see and read natural parents views and get some more knowledge.

I work for the NHs, work closely on a daily bass with sick patients, even TB, flu etc patients

When pregnant with DD I had no vaccines, I had already had the swine flu one long before I was pregnant and I was scared to get any vaccines.

I was going off work in Nov then so thought I'd be safe as I was avoiding flu season in work....and I was fine!

Thing is I'm due in April, with flu season being jan and feb I will be in work, I don't like the idea of a vaccine but then I know pregnant ladies can wind up in icu with flu. A Dr in work said I'm mad not getting it:shrug:

I am also wary about whopping cough as Its a new vaccine.

I didn't send my DD for her nasal vaccine as its a live vaccine, she's fit and healthy.

What are your opinions on this topic and why??? Need some input from others as my heads fried.

My DD has had all her recommended vaccines to date:dohh: don't know why I'm so cautious about flu....just think it doesn't cover all flus as they can mutate

I ended up getting the flu vaccine for myself as quite a few women had ended up in hospital for it this year where I am and seeing as I'm out and about with DD all the time and my immune system would be low I didn't want to risk it. Had a lengthy discussion with my Dr about getting it for my DD and he said that he doesn't recommend it as the amount of children here who get it really bad (bad enough for hospital) is very few. I won't give her anything I deem unnecessary but, my Dr is really good and embraces natural parenting (to an extent) and will always give great advice.

I never had any vaccines while pregnant and won't next time. When any one gets a vaccine they are told to wait in the surgerys for 15 mins after in case of a reaction, how can you tell if your unborn baby has a reaction?

In general I am pro vaccine and last yr while pregnant over the winter I got the whooping cough and flu vaccines. I can get the flu one this yr cos of my job but I'm not getting it, I only got it the winters I was pregnant. I also didn't get the flu spray for my 3 yr old this yr.

It's a very personal decision though and so hard if not impossible to find recent relevant trustworthy info on it. I don't know if the opinions of randomers on the internet would help me decide on something like this.

Do you have mercury in your flu vaccine there? We do here. For me, exposing my baby to mercury while still developing is enough for me to not get it.

I am sure you'll make the right choice for you and your baby. :)

Thank you ladies for your replies.

I haven't got the flu vaccine. I still feel undecided but I doubt very much I will get it. I'm trying to be vigilant in work, trying to wash my hands and wear gloves and aprons more! Have excellent infection control in my room so I really doubt I will change my mind and get it.

......now for whopping cough......that's offered at 29 weeks......but my dd had that vaccine in her 8 week old jabs so I think it's a bit pointless if baby will get it a young age ??!

I know Wales had a huge outbreak last year but I heard nothing where I am

More whooping cough than usual in northern Ireland last yr but no outbreak or epidemic. The vaccine is offered to expectant mums to provide immunity to the baby from birth until they get their 8 week jabs. Unfortunately as far as I know no test to see if you already have whooping cough pertussis immunity to pass on to baby hence getting you vaccinated again. Maybe seeing as you work in a hospital somebody there could test you if there is such a test available? You might already have pertussis immunity.

I have not had either, like Aliss says, I don't know how it'll affect my unborn baby. I wouldn't get any vaccination in pregnancy. Plus I've never had flu so don't expect to get it anytime soon, esp while pregnant, and they wouldn't have offered it to me any other time.

I have also turned down my son getting it as it is only offered to them for a couple of years. What makes him more succeptable this yr and next compared to when he's 6 or 7 or older? Also, if he gets flu then he will get a natural defense from it x

More whooping cough than usual in northern Ireland last yr but no outbreak or epidemic. The vaccine is offered to expectant mums to provide immunity to the baby from birth until they get their 8 week jabs. Unfortunately as far as I know no test to see if you already have whooping cough pertussis immunity to pass on to baby hence getting you vaccinated again. Maybe seeing as you work in a hospital somebody there could test you if there is such a test available? You might already have pertussis immunity.

I'm going to find this out!! Thank you!

I'm immune to chicken pox yet I've never ever had it:haha:

Il be sussing this out tomorrow, il let you know how I get on.

There are tests to see if you have immunity to previous vaccinations. DD is currently being assessed for her immunology. However the tests are not cheap and can take up to six weeks to come back to your clinic/hospital as they are done at labs offsite and not locally. We have been waiting four weeks for DD's results so far. They tend to be batch tested due to cost so they wait till they have a full batch of twenty before they run the samples as t costs the same to run for twenty as it does for 1. So yes there is a test but I wouldn't think it would be much use to your situation if you need quick answers.

No vaccines for me or my kiddos.

DS had his 2 month shots and DTaP at 9 months and we are discontinuing them, per recommendation by his pediatrician due to a severe adverse reaction in the family.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->