• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

Vaginal bleeding after a poo?

MindUtopia

Reaction score
Have any of you had vaginal bleeding after straining to have a poo in early pregnancy?

I'm quite constipated at the moment. I just finally was able to go after several days of not really being able to do much at all. I did have a cup of coffee this morning to help! I don't drink much coffee (usually a cup a day of half regular/half decaf), so this definitely pushed things along, but I did still have to strain more than I would have liked to. Afterwards, I wiped (in my vaginal area) and there was bloody discharge. I wiped again and obvious bright red blood, not loads, but noticeable. A few more wipes and it's mostly just brown discharge, so really wasn't a lot. It definitely came from my vagina, not my bottom.

I have heard that some vaginal bleeding after a poo can be normal as you can break blood vessels or irritate the cervix when straining. Has anyone else experienced this? I did have heavy bleeding around 10 weeks with my first (much heavier than this, like gushing out heavy) which the midwives said could have possibly been caused by blood vessels bursting, though I hadn't been doing a poo then. Obviously all was fine and no other bleeding, but I'm only 8 weeks along this time.

I'm going to see what happens and may call the midwives anyway in a bit. I fortunately have a private scan booked for tomorrow anyway, but wondering if perhaps I'd rather see someone at the EPU instead who might have a bit more knowledge than just someone at an ultrasound centre.

Yes, I've experienced this too. It's a little concerning, but it hasn't led to anything more and there's never any blood the next time I go to the loo. I figure if it was something to worry about, the blood would continue.

I'm going to ask my midwife about it, but I have a bit of a wait until I can do that - they can't fit me in for a first appointment until I'm just over 11 weeks, and are refusing to talk to me before then!

I had this happen a few times with my second baby during the first trimester :hugs:

Thanks! It's literally been nothing since then and I've had no cramping, so I suspect it's nothing. Definitely makes me motivated to eat more prunes because I don't want to be stressing out like this every time I need a poo. Hopefully scan tomorrow will confirm all is well. After I had bleeding with my daughter, I was pretty sure everything was fine (even if it was a lot of blood) and I feel that way again this time, so hopefully proves to be true. I'm at least feeling more thankful I decided to shell out the few quid for the private scan.

Oh, yes. I get bleeding and/or spotting after all of my bowel movements throughout first tri and even some of second tri. My last pregnancy, I had spotting/bleeding EVERY time I had a bowel movement, throughout the entire pregnancy. This is pretty common in first trimester, not so much once we're half-way along or more, but it was still all fine with me. Good timing on the ultrasound, though. :)

Hi, this is what the dr at the hospital said to me is likely to have happened when I had that spotting. Its Due to constipation and straining as the cervix is really sensitive at the moment it can irritate it. That's handy your having your scan tomorrow. Funny, even though you can see the obvious cause it's hard to still not worry even when there's a logical answer. X

I'm sure all is fine glad you have a scan for reassurance

Thanks all for your comments. I had my scan on Friday. Unfortunately, it's turned out to be a missed miscarriage, with baby having stopped developing at 5 weeks (I should be 9 weeks tomorrow with no doubt about my dates as I got a BFP over 5 weeks ago and my husband and I haven't had sex since I ovulated). It's sad, but I think I must have had some intuition about it all. I just didn't feel quite the same this time as I did with my daughter and it makes sense now looking back, which is probably why I booked the private scan. I don't, however, think the bleeding I had last week really had anything much to do with the mmc, as I've only had a small amount more since and mostly do to all the poking with the two transvaginal scans I've had in the past few days. I think it was simply a small amount of bleeding related to being constipated, but it just so turns out I found out about this other thing around the same time. So just wanted to update. Hoping I'll be back to 1st tri again very soon. Thanks for your support. :hugs:

Sorry for your loss, good luck trying again and hope you are back soon!!

I'm so sorry to read that :( I hope you are okay Xxxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"