vaginal breech delivery

kosh

proud new mum!
Reaction score
anyone considering this?

any experiences appreciated!

ask in the Natural birthing section i think a few of the ladies have links to vag breech delivery stories

My mother did it with my sister she was Frank breech which means she came bum first. They thought all along she was head down so when she started crowning it was a little to late. My mom said it was the most painful experience in her whole life, they were also afraid that my sister had broken her hips or at least dislocated them Which thankfully she didn't. I would never do a breech birth the risks are to high IMO. But each to their own

My baby's frank breech. I've been scheduled for a c-sec on Weds as they say it's not safe to deliver breech babies vaginally as they can get their heads stuck.

My sis delivered frank breech and tore terribly! Again they said baby was head down and it was too little too late when the realised!

Given the choice I don't think I would deliver naturally if baby was breech

I think they get confused with it being a head or a bum because its all the same size especially with their legs up around their ears I could see how doctors could be a bit confused

Honestly, the dangers are pretty much the same either side.
My friend just had twins, the presenting one was head down, the second was frank breech. She birthed them both naturally with absolutely no problems.

Honestly, the dangers are pretty much the same either side.

would you mind expanding on this? i haven't done any proper research yet, as I am a bit in denial....:nope:

My friend just had twins, the presenting one was head down, the second was frank breech. She birthed them both naturally with absolutely no problems.

someone i know had exactly the same situation: twins, first one head down and second one breech. she also did not have any problems. that was actually what got me thinking a natural delivery migth be possible...

The only thing I know about it is that it is important that the midwife or doctor doesn't touch the baby as the are coming out as this causes a reflex where they push out their arms and legs meaning they could get stuck more easily. However I don't know whether this is taught in MW/obs training as it seems counter intuitive to be hands off in a higher risk birth situation.

I had a vaginal breech delivery, she was frank breech.

anyone considering this?

any experiences appreciated!

My LO is meant to be breech. I was reading up on this and tbh i dont think i could deliver like that cus id be to scared of something bad happening

The only thing I know about it is that it is important that the midwife or doctor doesn't touch the baby as the are coming out as this causes a reflex where they push out their arms and legs meaning they could get stuck more easily. However I don't know whether this is taught in MW/obs training as it seems counter intuitive to be hands off in a higher risk birth situation.

i had no idea about this.
thanks for the info.

I had a vaginal breech delivery, she was frank breech.

would you mind telling us a bit more about your experience?

Sorry, didn't mean to leave such a brief reply but said LO was trying to sabotage the laptop as I was posting!
I've posted my birth story somewhere but basically she was breech from about 33 weeks (prob earlier the MWs were never quite sure and I had a growth scan at 33+1)
I wasn't offered an ECV due to hospital politics at the time and in clinic I saw a doctor who was inexperienced with vaginal breech deliveries (she admitted this to me) and she scared me into having a c-section.
I got some great advice on here though and when I went into labour 36 hours before my scheduled c-setion date, they scanned me again, asked if I still wanted a c-section and I freaked everyone out by saying no! :haha:
I was able to see a very experienced consultant who re-scanned me and was happy about the relative size of baby (6lb 7oz) and a guesstimate of my pelvis size:haha:-I think based on my height, and prob my massive hips!
I was told that I would have to progress 'normally', with no hormones to induce or strengthen contractions and if they were concerned, they would proceed to an emergency section. I was worried about that but she reassured me that the 'emergency' bit just came from it being unscheduled :shrug:
In terms of my labour, I was contracting every 7 mins for nearly 24 hours, was checked at 8pm and told I was 1cm :cry: My OH and mum were sent home and I was meant to rest. I couldn't lie down during contractions so I alternated between walking up and down the hallway and staying in the bathroom on the ward, usually on all fours over a chair!
At about 1am I went to get back into bed and my waters broke, I was taken down to the delivery suite, checked again and I was 10cm!
I had an episiotomy and gas and air and she was born after about 40 mins of pushing with a very bruised little bottom!

With twins its common to let ladies deliver vaginally if the first is head down, if both are, like my case, then its too dangerous.

I've done a bit of research on this. I would attempt a frank breech delivery as majority of breech babies are in this position. Any other breech position I wouldn't attempt

I am planning a homebirth of twins and my midwife is comfortable with breech babies. So if I have to I will and am ok with it hopefully both boys turn head down. Good luck.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->