Vanishing Twin? Miscarrying a twin?! Small amt of bleeding in early pregnancy?

marigold91

Reaction score
Hi all!

This is my first post after lurking for a while... This might be a little long but I'm just looking for any advice or experiences.

I found out I was pregnant about two weeks ago. I'm almost 6 weeks now.

Last Friday, I had a bit of red blood, just one gush - no cramping and no clots. I called my doctor and she sent me for a blood test yesterday and scheduled an ultrasound for today.

At the ultrasound, she saw two sacs (twins!! :wacko:) and my HCG levels were 10,000. She said it definitely indicates twins, but because I bled a bit on Friday, she thinks it's possible I'm going to miscarry one of them. She also mentioned a phenomenon called "vanishing twin"? But she also said that 1 in 5 women bleed during pregnancy, so she said it's possible both fetuses will progress and become viable.

She is doing two more blood tests to see if the counts are doubling properly and I have another ultrasound scheduled in two weeks when she can hopefully see more, but I'm just confused and anxious!

I guess I'm just looking for anyone who has experience with bleeding in early pregnancy, miscarrying one twin, or has heard of vanishing twin(s).

Thank you in advance!!

It is very possible, however bleeding is super common at 5/6 weeks. I had slight bleeding at 5.5 weeks and all was well however ive only had a singleton. Fx that both are sticky beans.

Wow first off congrats on the twins! That's really special :flower:

Secondly I've known people that have had twins and they did say that they had a lot of bleeding in early pregnancy. In fact that was how one girl I went to school with found out she was carrying twins because she went for an ultrasound due to bleeding. It is scary anytime you bleed during pregnancy but I think it is normal, especially since your uterus has to stretch twice as much.

Good luck!

Thanks so much for your kind words!

I have heard that a lot of people have bleeding in early pregnancy and go on to be just fine... but of course it's always scary!

Hope you both have healthy pregnancies!

Congrats on your two little beans!
This is completely outdated now as it was 32 years ago..! I had a twin but as they didn't really do many ultrasounds back then my mum didn't know till I was born and my twin came out tiny (somewhere in the first tri) and fossilized. I haven't asked if my mum bled or not but I guess it is possible to have one vanish in a way.
I really hope yours are both sticky ones! Keep us posted!

Hi Hun, I had bleeding at six weeks, scan at seven weeks revealed twins. I find it quite insensitive for her to tell u that she thinks you will loose one of them. Bleeding is common with twins because there is so much more stretching than a Singleton pregnancy.

Also yes, vanishing twin syndrome is a thing but that usually comes with no bleeding and no symptoms, as one twin just absorbs back into the womb. This is also very rare.

Please relax and enjoy your twin pregnancy, as long as the bleeding isn't heavy with cramps all should work out just fine.

I had my 12 weeks scan yesterday and both babies are healthy and beautiful xx

Hi Hun, I had bleeding at six weeks, scan at seven weeks revealed twins. I find it quite insensitive for her to tell u that she thinks you will loose one of them. Bleeding is common with twins because there is so much more stretching than a Singleton pregnancy.

Also yes, vanishing twin syndrome is a thing but that usually comes with no bleeding and no symptoms, as one twin just absorbs back into the womb. This is also very rare.

Please relax and enjoy your twin pregnancy, as long as the bleeding isn't heavy with cramps all should work out just fine.

I had my 12 weeks scan yesterday and both babies are healthy and beautiful xx

Thank you so much. This is very reassuring. It's just been a rollercoaster of emotions, as I went in to the doctor thinking I possibly miscarried, then she finds TWINS, then tells me I'll probably lose one of them. I don't know how to process!

Whatever happens, it's out of my hands. I'm just going to try to relax and take care of myself and hope for the best. Thank you again for your words. :hugs:

You're welcome hun. I'm infuriated for u that she made such a statement which may be so far from the truth its unbelievable!! Keep us updated hun xx

Blood test results from today came back but I'm still confused and in limbo!

Two days ago, on Monday, my HCG levels were ~10,000. Today she said they're at ~15,000 - so she said they are definitely increasing significantly but they didn't double at the rate that would be expected for both twins to be viable.

She said it seems to confirm her thoughts that one (the smaller sac) will pass.

I know she's the doctor (not me, no matter how much I've googled :shrug: ... so I probably shouldn't question her logic, but I've read that HCG levels seem to vary a lot - and I also wonder, if I AM going to miscarry one of them, why would it be so far removed from the inital bleeding last week? You'd think the rest of the bleeding would follow soon thereafter, but almost a week has passed and nothing... no spotting, no cramps, nothing.

I feel like I'm in the TWW all over again as it will be two weeks or so before I have any solid answers! Only time will tell I guess...

In all honesty I'm no very good with things like hcg levels but I'm sure someone will be along soon. Can u book into an epu to have a scan and ease your mind? Xx

I dont think that she can give you any assumptions on what may have happened without hard evidence that is awful fear mongering!!
I feel for as 2 weeks ago I had a big bleed that lasted 3 days and was told by the hospital I most likely lost the baby so had bloods done which came back good but a bit behind for my gestation. I had a scan yesterday where I saw the babies little heart fluttering so sometimes their assumptions are just very out of place especially with no evidence.
:( you poor thing it must be very hard I would consider changing your dr you need to be able to trust your carer during pregnancy and feel the information you are receiving is 100% true and in this situation I feel she is telling you things based on thought and putting you through what could very well be for no reason!
Big hugs to you hun and try to stay positive despite the situation.
Have you had any bleeding since?

I dont think that she can give you any assumptions on what may have happened without hard evidence that is awful fear mongering!!
I feel for as 2 weeks ago I had a big bleed that lasted 3 days and was told by the hospital I most likely lost the baby so had bloods done which came back good but a bit behind for my gestation. I had a scan yesterday where I saw the babies little heart fluttering so sometimes their assumptions are just very out of place especially with no evidence.
:( you poor thing it must be very hard I would consider changing your dr you need to be able to trust your carer during pregnancy and feel the information you are receiving is 100% true and in this situation I feel she is telling you things based on thought and putting you through what could very well be for no reason!
Big hugs to you hun and try to stay positive despite the situation.
Have you had any bleeding since?

Thank you so much!! It's so nice to hear your story. I've heard that HCG can vary, so I hope it ends up the way your situation did.

No, no bleeding since last week... no cramps either! Just nothing! I have no idea how long it takes for the miscarrying process to complete itself, but from what I've read on here, it sounds like people have some blood, then it really intensifies within 24 hours or so... so I'm just really not convinced that I'm miscarrying.

Doing another blood test Monday. She said she would only call me if the HCG count was decreasing - which I don't expect it to (no bleeding, still feel very pregnant, etc, although I know there are several people who have MMC that feel the same). Otherwise I have to wait until Wednesday to see if there are two (or even one) sticky beans.

:hugs: I hope everything is ok with you and your little ones. Just wanted to stop by and give my support.

Looking forward to the update, best of luck xxx

Still thinking of you and hope your outcome is a positive one!! Being stuck in limbo is horrible :( sending lots of positive baby vibes your way hun xxx

I had this happen to me 4 years ago. I was 7 weeks & started spotting on & off. Went for a scan & theysaid i was 5+2!! I had known i was pregnant for almost 3weeks so that didn't add up. They saw a sac & yolk sac & another smaller sac but was smaller. I had very little on off spotting for a few days. I went for a scan 10days later & there was baby with a heartbeat but unfortunately the other one hadn't made it.
I think at this point it can go either way. Wishing you all the luck in the world (( hugs)) xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->