Vanishing Twin Syndrome

Eoz

Mummy of 5! Eeek!
Reaction score
Any one suffered from this?

I have had one case for definite and it caused all sorts of problems in my pregnancy.It turns out this may be another twin loss and thinking about it I had this with my first daughter 12 years ago.My midwife wants to do tests as she feel its something to do with the male gender.I will be sterilised after this baby but still would like to know about it and how or why it happens.

I do have worries and my last pregnancy was awful and baby was small I believed it was to do with her being a twin and want to avoid all this again.

Any stories shared would be fab.Have you suffered?did you have a normal pregnancy after? xxx :flower:

I have heard of VTS, in fact only 1-8 twin pregnancies go full term.

They don't know the cause of it, they say it is because our bodies are designed to carry one fetus at a time and it is your bodies was of balancing out. Sometimes it is the second egg just didn't fertilize correctly, or didn't divide correctly.
There is no answer or prevention for it. I am currently pregnant with twins now and the thought of VTS worries me, infact I have my 2nd scan today to make sure both are still there.

VTS is very common, but years ago people didn't know much about it, it is only because of the technology we have and more women get early scans and two beans are seen and then later at the 12wk scan there is only one, with little to no sign of the 2nd ever being there, as your body, or placenta or other fetus absorbs it.

I don't believe that could possibly be the cause for your daughter being small.
All the very best.

It really is different from years ago as I had one scan with my eldest and you barely saw a thing.Thank you hun.I hope is well with your scan xxx

Why do they think it's VTS hun? did u have a scan which showed 2 originally?

I did with my last baby yes and this is mirroring it to a T.Basically i had positive tests mid nov then negs a week later then 2 weeks on positives and a small bleed in between.The midwife today saying she thinks it has happened again x

Oh. can i ask with your first pregnancy when u had the scan? I had something similiar at about 5 weeks i think. my attached pics are the two different sacs that they saw and then one of them was gone! was urs like this?

Attachments

• jamie 2 001.jpg
    jamie 2 001.jpg
    20.3 KB · Views: 21
  • jamie 2 005.jpg
    jamie 2 005.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 21
Pretty much yes although mine was on top of each other,Have you had any bleeding at all?

No. That was a few weeks ago. Went for my first scan on 30th Nov and they saw them two. At first she thought the second thing was a sac then she said maybe it was a bleed but she then said that she was pretty sure it was another sac. Weird thing is i went to another scan 3 days later and absolutely no sign of the second sac!!! in 3 days!! and i had no bleeding!
Poor u hun. I wouldn't think that the Vanishing Twin should affect the remaining baby really, especially just the weight. Maybe if it was an identical twin that was lost maybe if they were in the same sac it could affect the remaining twin but i don't think it should hun!! As u've said ur daughter was small, i'm sure they will keep a super close eye on u this time! xx

That they will and my midwife has said she will not let me suffer this time and no matter what size baby is we will stick to the original edd.

As for you hun I'd say highly likely as the placenta can just absorb a sac.I had what you are explaining with a miscarriage a few yrs ago when I was 6 weeks.I lost both that time but never had twins confirmed. Have you looked at this online.I'm so glad you still have one beany in there xx

to be honest as i still dont know 100% whether it was a bleed or baby it hasn't really affected me. I think so early on aswell it didn't really make sense to me. as i only saw sacs and no babies! hope u get on ok and ur little one keeps being healthy. xx

And to you hun.Im ok as i have not seen anything yet who knows at the scan.Take care xx

This is a really intesting thread. I was wondering if this was happening to me and now I'm not sure because I was thinking I was clutching at straws (I still think I may be). But I did a test last Tuesday, got my BFP, lines didn't seem to get darker, just stayed the same. Did one yesterday, clear line (relatively dark) and then I did another one today (exactly the same darkness to the line). Yesterday though I started spotting which continued today but now it's more like a light period - although the blood is pink at the moment and not bright red like my period would be. But then I suppose if I'm having a chemical, then the bleeding would be likely to be different.

I'm just curious now because, assuming I'm reading your post right Eoz, your midwife thinks you have VTS, you got your BFP, then they faded, then you had small bleed and now you have your BFP again. Could this not be a completely new pregnancy? Sorry if I'm reading this wrong x

I think this is really interesting, when I had Riley 20 months ago the Consultant had to break a second sac of water after they had broke the one surrounding Riley. At the time it didnt occur to me that this could have indicated anything but afterwards realised that it was a separate amniotic sac that they said was empty. I was so high on Gas and Air and Beggin for my epidural that I didnt question much. but have often wondered if that had been originally a twin pregnancy that never progressed?

I will look out for an update from you hunny, big hugs x x Nikki x x

This is a really intesting thread. I was wondering if this was happening to me and now I'm not sure because I was thinking I was clutching at straws (I still think I may be). But I did a test last Tuesday, got my BFP, lines didn't seem to get darker, just stayed the same. Did one yesterday, clear line (relatively dark) and then I did another one today (exactly the same darkness to the line). Yesterday though I started spotting which continued today but now it's more like a light period - although the blood is pink at the moment and not bright red like my period would be. But then I suppose if I'm having a chemical, then the bleeding would be likely to be different.

I'm just curious now because, assuming I'm reading your post right Eoz, your midwife thinks you have VTS, you got your BFP, then they faded, then you had small bleed and now you have your BFP again. Could this not be a completely new pregnancy? Sorry if I'm reading this wrong x

No way it could be hun.Unless you can get preggy in 2 weeks flat!I had my faints and my small bleed the middle of Nov.I got my next BFP 1st Dec

Mercy2 that is odd.I had a water sac up till my 19th week (last pregnancy) then it disappeared.It could be possible xxx

I've been doing some reading up on this and I did read that if you have VTS, then your HCG level would drop but then go on to rise again. Perhaps this is happening to me. I'm still getting faint lines but the bleeding is heavier. I kind of hope it's happening to me. I'd absolutely love to have twins but even one would be perfect. I think I've had a chemical but I'll have to keep an eye on things. Hope everything goes ok for you and the little one you are carrying xxx

Aww hun.I'd demand a scan the bleeding is worrying.But yes the HCG does drop.I'm a classic case of this.My Midwife saw it for herself with my bloods and was shocked.

Please keep in touch.I'd love to see how you get on xxx

I think it's a chemical. I would normally go to the doctors but this was my 13th cycle after my miscarriage so I'm about to start fertility tests and I'm just worried that if they find out that I did get pregnant they'd make me wait another year. I'm hoping everything will be ok from now on though because my husband had a slightly low sperm count. So he started taking vits 3 months ago - 3 months on I got pregnant. So I'm hoping they've worked and this was just a case of bad luck. I'll update if I start getting positive tests again but for now, they've faded dramatically x

Apparently I was a twin but the twin "disappeared". I have never really asked a lot about it to be honest, but I was a good size (8lb something) and born on time. Fingers crossed this baby will be a decent size too xx

:hugs:
I think it's a chemical. I would normally go to the doctors but this was my 13th cycle after my miscarriage so I'm about to start fertility tests and I'm just worried that if they find out that I did get pregnant they'd make me wait another year. I'm hoping everything will be ok from now on though because my husband had a slightly low sperm count. So he started taking vits 3 months ago - 3 months on I got pregnant. So I'm hoping they've worked and this was just a case of bad luck. I'll update if I start getting positive tests again but for now, they've faded dramatically x

:hugs::hugs:Thinking of you and fingers crossed x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->