VBA emergency C-section

Bumblebee24

Mummy July 2014 Rainbow
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
So I know it's a little early given I am only 23 weeks but wanted to know your stories & thoughts.
Am consultant lead and will be having regular growth scans from 32 weeks as my previous baby was quite small as well as reactant miscarriages.
My previous birth ended in emergency C-section due to undiagnosed breach & low fetal heartbeat with each contractions. So this time round I can opt for a planned C-section. I also suffered quite badly with postnatal depression which I don't know if the traumatic birth played a part in.

I haven't a clue what to do this time round but then again it could be taken out of my hands if this baby is breech!

I kinda want to try natural but then I am drawn to the planned section given knowing exactly what's going to happen and when. Its the recovery am so scared of. The natural side I'd really like to happen but so scared incase it ended in an emergency C-section.

Love to hear your stories and thoughts ladies xx

Hi ladies,
So I know it's a little early given I am only 23 weeks but wanted to know your stories & thoughts.
Am consultant lead and will be having regular growth scans from 32 weeks as my previous baby was quite small as well as reactant miscarriages.
My previous birth ended in emergency C-section due to undiagnosed breach & low fetal heartbeat with each contractions. So this time round I can opt for a planned C-section. I also suffered quite badly with postnatal depression which I don't know if the traumatic birth played a part in.

I haven't a clue what to do this time round but then again it could be taken out of my hands if this baby is breech!

I kinda want to try natural but then I am drawn to the planned section given knowing exactly what's going to happen and when. Its the recovery am so scared of. The natural side I'd really like to happen but so scared incase it ended in an emergency C-section.

Love to hear your stories and thoughts ladies xx
First off, congratulations on your expecting baby.
I've experienced both a natural vaginal birth and c-section birth. I'll give you my thoughts on both:

Vaginal Birth - My first was delivered vaginally. I was very lucky to have a quick birth (6ish hours from my water breaking to delivery), he was born at 38 weeks. Labour was painful (not going to lie)... I was given some medication in my IV to help with the pain... I only remember it helped me to relax in between contractions but I could still feel everything. I was able to labor a bit in a bathtub, which helped a little. Pushing took about an hour, though your only pushing during a contraction, so you have a bit of a break in between. I had a 2nd degree tear inside, but I didn't feel it at all, contractions were all I felt and the pressure of pushing.

Vaginal Recovery - everything is swollen and sore. You use muscles in your arms and legs during pushing that you didn't know you even had. Just some general tylenol helped with the pain for a couple days... also put ice packs down there to help swelling... I don't think the swelling lasted more than a couple days. Recovery once home was very quick, pain was pretty much gone within a week. Pain-wise I think my breasts were more painful then vagina area.

C-Section Birth - my second was a breech baby. My waters went at 36 weeks, went into the hospital and we discovered she was breech, we didn't know prior to this. Was booked in for a c-section that afternoon. I only had a couple contractions during that period so no pain really. C-section went smoothly and baby was completely healthy, though a little small.

Recovery - I have to say c-section recovery was worse for me then vaginal birth. The worst pain I ever felt was after the section when feeling was starting to come back and my body did a contraction (you know to make your uterus smaller)... I almost blacked out from the pain of the section and the muscles contacting! In the hospital I was mostly alright, just general tylenol for the pain. But recovery at home was about 2-3 weeks... worst part was getting up from a lying position, your abdominal muscles are cut and healing... so getting up to a crying baby was a task. I also remember trying to look after my 1.5 year old, I couldn't lift him from his crib or out of the high chair.

I'm currently expecting my third baby. I'm hoping for a vaginal delivery this time. I'm sure whatever decision you make will be the best decision for you and your baby. Take care.

Thank you so much for getting back to me. Think I'll definitely be giving virginal a try as had a growth scan on Tuesday and baby is head down whoopy. Consultant said she saw no reason at this stage as to why they wouldn't leave me to just go into labour and try to give birth naturally.
I've got additional growth scans at 36 and 38 weeks if baby is still growing OK then I'll be left to it if not. They may look to induce me but chemical free induction. Its called balloon cervical ripening.
Congratulations on your 3rd baby ekk so exciting good luck with things hun xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->