VBAC birth plan

Wombat

Married mum of 2:)
Reaction score
Hi girls :)

Just finished writing my birth plan and thought I should post it here in case anyone else needs to write one.
Also be free to comment on it :)

I know I had a previous c-section and am aware about all the risks concerning VBAC, but I still want to have an active, natural birth. Also please be aware of my SPD

I want my birthing partner (my husband) to be present with me at all times.

Labour:

• I wish to be able to move around and change position at will throughout labour.
• I would like to be able to have fluids by mouth throughout the first stage of labour.
• I would prefer to keep the number of vaginal exams to a minimum.
• I want to have a WATER BIRTH

Monitoring:

• I do not wish to have continuous fetal monitoring unless it is required by the condition of my son.
• I would prefer constant checks from midwife using a hand held Doppler
• I am fine with having a drip inserted at the start of labour (discussed with the consultant) in case it will be needed for an emergency c-section

Labour Augmentation:

• I am happy with my waters to be ruptured artificially if it speeds up a labour

Pain relief in labour:

• Will want to use gas and air
• AT NO POINT I WANT PETHIDINE OR SIMILAR to be used as a pain relief during my labour
• I will ask for an epidural if needed
• As a main pain relief I want to have a WATER BIRTH

Assisted delivery:
• I would prefer forceps delivery to ventouse delivery

Episiotomy and tearing:

• I would prefer to be guided by my midwife throughout the pushing stage to avoid tearing and would rather tear naturally, but if there is a risk of 2nd, 3rd or 4th degree tear would rather my midwife perform medio-lateral episiotomy
• In case of needing an assisted delivery would prefer a medio-lateral episiotomy

Delivery:

• I would like my husband and/or nurses to support me and my legs as necessary during the pushing stage.
• I would like a mirror available so I can see my son's head when it crowns.
• Even if I am fully dilated, and assuming my son is not in distress, I would like to try to wait until I feel the urge to push before beginning the pushing phase.
• Providing all is well I would like to have my son placed on my stomach/chest immediately after delivery.

After delivery:

• I would the cord to be left pulsating for as long as possible and then my husband to cut it
• I would like an assisted 3rd stage
• I would like to have my son examined and bathed in my presence.
• If my son must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband will accompany my son at all times.
• I would like a private room if available.
• After the birth, I would prefer to be given a few moments of privacy together with my son and husband.
• I want to be discharged home as soon as it will be possible.
• I want vitamin K being given to my baby

Breastfeeding:

• I plan to breastfeed my son and don’t want any formula or dummies to be given

Caesarean section:

• I want my husband to be present at all times with me
• I want to have a spinal block as my pain relief
• If my son is not in distress, my son should be given to my husband immediately after birth.
• If my son must be taken from me to receive medical treatment, my husband will accompany my son at all times.

Well done! I find the idea of knowing what to do for a birth plan really daunting so well done for getting informed and finishing it! It seems really well thought out.

:thumbup:

wow, ive never seen one before.

ps, can the hospital give dummies and bottles?!?! i dont want that!

I am not sure about it, but I have heard stories about women who's babies were given formula, so decided Id better put it in.

My daughter was given a bottle of formula in the OR!! I didn't even realize it as I was so sick from the spinal. Thank you for posting your birth plan. I too am planing a VBAC, and have a provisional birth plan, however yours helped me to add things. Thanks. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->