Vbac Mums Birth Preferences?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - Second Trimester' started by TheNewMrs, Oct 4, 2013.

  1. TheNewMrs

    TheNewMrs Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Messages:
    3,040
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi Ladies.
    I am trying to compile a list of birth prefs.

    Just wondering what you ladies are putting down?

    It's a known fact that every intervention increases risk of C Section and I really want to avoid that again so hoping to keep things as natural as possible.

    What are you ladies looking at?
     
  2. HappyHome

    HappyHome Big family = Busy family

    Joined:
    May 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,030
    Likes Received:
    0
    Hi, its always good to be prepared.
    I too believe that any intervention can lead to more.
    Staying active is good, you shouldnt need to be strapped to a bed and monitors.
    Maybe look into some natal hypnotherapy for VBAC as i think that really helped me with mine.
    Stay at home as long as you can too.
    trying to think of other things but my brain is stuck!
     
  3. 10.Laura

    10.Laura Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2010
    Messages:
    537
    Likes Received:
    0
    My hospital have said that they aren't happy with me carrying past 40 weeks, and I'm not keen to be induced. So I've said that if I go into labour before then that is fine otherwise I'd prefer to be booked in for a section.
     
  4. 10.Laura

    10.Laura Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2010
    Messages:
    537
    Likes Received:
    0
    I'm also waiting for my cousin (a midwife) to get back to me with reading material on labour and preparing myself for it so will post anything I think is good!
     
  5. HappyHome

    HappyHome Big family = Busy family

    Joined:
    May 20, 2013
    Messages:
    1,030
    Likes Received:
    0
  6. TheNewMrs

    TheNewMrs Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Messages:
    3,040
    Likes Received:
    0
    Have they said why?
    40 Weeks is only the minimum. A baby may not be ready then and surely biding more time and having a vbac will be better in the long run than another section for the sake of waiting when there are no known increased risks?
     
  7. susywoosy

    susywoosy Mum of two!

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1,557
    Likes Received:
    0
    They won't induce u if u hav3 had a previous section as apparently the drugs they use can cause your scar to split. My options r a csection at 39 weeks or (if my bp behaves) they'll leave me til 41 weeks to see if i go into natural labour on my own. If i havent by 41 weeks then they'll section me anyway. Considering vbac and have made app with special mw who will talk me thru all the positives and risks following my emcs last time xx
     
  8. TheNewMrs

    TheNewMrs Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Messages:
    3,040
    Likes Received:
    0
    You CAN have induction if your favorable.
    They can do ARM release. (Water membranes release).
    Low dose Oxytocin has been known to be fine too.
    Gel induction is a big no no though.
     
  9. JessPape

    JessPape Myself, Husband, DD

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    Messages:
    3,832
    Likes Received:
    0
    No - AROM (Artificial breaking of membranes) Unless reached 10cm, and spoken with prior.
    Minimum cervical checks - ideally i'd like one at admission and that be it.
    No interventions (Pit to speed up labor, IV's to administer fluids)

    I will be drinking fluid on my own, walking, and staying in any position I want to be in.

    For pain medication I am doing the hypnobabies home study


    If I go overdue, I will agree to Foley bulb and a LOW LOW dose of pit at 41+3, than a csection at 41+5 if it doesn't work.
     
  10. JessPape

    JessPape Myself, Husband, DD

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    Messages:
    3,832
    Likes Received:
    0
    40 weeks is an estimated time frame, they like to use the risks that your chance of rupture goes up from ur uterus stretching. But twin moms have more uterus stretching and can VBAC. Just because your time line says you 40 weeks, doesn't mean baby is.

    You can do whatever you want, I do Not consent too this produced because? is all u need to say, its ur body and your birth.
     
  11. JessPape

    JessPape Myself, Husband, DD

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    Messages:
    3,832
    Likes Received:
    0
    Induction may higher your risk, I want to say 3% is the number that is sticking in my head instead of 1%. However, there are still safe option if your over due to try. Breaking water if your already dilated. Foly bulb, and low low low dose of pit has been approved. An a few other options.
     
  12. TheNewMrs

    TheNewMrs Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jun 11, 2011
    Messages:
    3,040
    Likes Received:
    0
    In Ireland the figures of UR are
    1/1000- spontaneous labour
    1/500-induced via ARM/Oxytocin.
     
  13. JessPape

    JessPape Myself, Husband, DD

    Joined:
    May 31, 2011
    Messages:
    3,832
    Likes Received:
    0
    Thoses figures are pretty much the same via world wide :)
     
  14. susywoosy

    susywoosy Mum of two!

    Joined:
    Jul 19, 2010
    Messages:
    1,557
    Likes Received:
    0
    Yeah i've been doing a bit of research and realise that some health care providers will offer some sort of induction. It would appear that my health care provider and consultant will not offer any type of induction for fear of rupture so if i do not go into labour on my own my only other option is c-section. This suits me as i did not like the induction process at all xx
     
  15. 10.Laura

    10.Laura Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2010
    Messages:
    537
    Likes Received:
    0
    Sorry, I don't know why my hospital's policy is to not let you go past 40 weeks. As I'm not fixed on absolutley wanting a vbac I wasn't worried enough to ask. Similar for the induction process - I don't want to be induced so didn't ask any more questions.
     
  16. candyem

    candyem Well-Known Member

    Joined:
    Jan 2, 2011
    Messages:
    2,824
    Likes Received:
    0
    I had an emcs at 42 weeks with my son after days of contractions and reaching 9.5cms before everything started slowing down.

    I am really hoping for a vbac and hoping my positive thoughts will help me through it.

    I have been told I could still be induced and that I actually have a greater chance of a natural birth than I did with my first (around 70-80%).

    Time will tell but I definetly think it is worth a try. :)
     

Share This Page

  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice