VBAC Proceedure

LuckySalem

2 daughters
Reaction score
I was just wondering if anyone had a VBAC after an Emergency CS and what the hospital asked you to do.

My MW is saying I'll have to be hooked up to a monitor as soon as labour starts and that's how I'll be the whole way through (which I'm hoping to not have to do) so was wondering if anyone else had to.

Hi! :D I had a c-section with my daughter, although it wasn't an emergency, it was scheduled. I'm trying for a vbac this time and I also will have to have continuous monitoring. My hospital has a portable monitor tho that straps to you, and reads out to the nurses station and in my room, so that I can still be mobile during labor. You may want to ask you hospital if they might offer that, since I can imagine it would be kinda awful having to be in bed the entire time. Good luck with your vbac!! :D

You do NOT have to be hooked up to a monitor, that is often hospital procedure, but it's still your choice. The rupture rate is actually really low (0.35%) which means that there are a lot more things that are more likely to go wrong than a rupture. Also it's been shown that continuous monitoring leads to a higher rate of c-section. Some hospitals (mine included) actually offer a water birth for VBAC women, though you usually have to fight for it. I'm having a VBAC, and to avoid the hassle of fighting with the hospital I've decided to have a homebirth. I've had a few negative reactions from the doctors but my community MWs are actually very supportive.

How you intend to give birth is YOUR choice, not the MWs or doctors.

I wanted a HB and got told in no uncertain terms that that was not going to happen.

I had a VBAC after an emergency csection and also had monitoring the entire time. I'm sure you can refuse it but I decided to just deal with it I wanted to be sure everything was ok anyways and that way not to push them just keep everyone happy. I know that here they do have ones that are mobile so you can be up walking around still even though they are monitoring you the entire time

It's very important to me that I get a good birth this time as the last one wasn't so good and I feel that it made me unable to bond with my daughter for the first 5 months of her life.
I can cope with having a hospital birth if I have to but I need it my way which is relaxed and mobile. Hence my worry about being hooked to a monitor on a bed the whole time.

I wanted a HB and got told in no uncertain terms that that was not going to happen.

They cant do that!! you can have a HB if you want one its your right to birth your baby how you choose to.

I had the same argument with the same midwife when I wanted a HB with DD. I got my HB except it went wrong and I swear I saw a glint in her eye when I told her it had gone wrong. :(

I strongly advise that you join the UKVBACHBAC yahoo group, there are loads of very supportive women that will be able to help you achieve the birth you want. Don't let them bully you hun, fight for what you want.

Thanks.
I need to see a consultant apparently so I'm trying to arm myself with as many facts as possible so that I know why they want to do this and why I dont need them to - if that makes any sense at all.

OOOhhhh thanks for asking this question, i was told i HAD to be monitored from the 1st contraction all the way through. Glad to know thats not the case :thumbup: although its not looking like i'll get my VBAC anyway :cry:

Again, you don't NEED to see a consultant, you have the right to refuse. I had planned on refusing to meet mine, but then I was suspected of having GD (I don't luckily) so accepted it. I actually wish I hadn't as he treated me like I was choosing to kill myself and my baby! If I go over again and have to go in for monitoring I will be refusing to meet the consultant again as I'm not wanting to be belittled so close to my birth.

Oh I thought the consultant might have been easier to speak to than the midwife :cry:

Oh I don't know what to do now. I'm not a strong person - i'm better at asking questions and being able to get them to believe i'm right.

hiya, i have had 2 c-sections, i tried for vbac with my second child but i ended up with a c-section due to failure to progress but i am preggy again with number 3 and am going for a vbac x2 :) my midwife will let you do as you please tbh which is great :)
the choice is yours they didn't hook me up to monitor at all and if you want something you tell them not the other way round hun its your body and you have to do what is right for you :)
xx

I had an appt today and asked my doctor if I could be taken off the monitor at times to take a shower and what not. She said that as long as baby and I are fine, it wont be a problem. There are 3 OBs in the office, and they all have been really supportive of my hopeful vbac. One thing to keep in mind from a book that I read on vbacs, is that if you dont feel you are getting the support you need from your doctor, you can change until the day you give birth. Dont feel trapped with someone whos not supporting you. I changed doctors and hospitals to one 40 mins away so that I could try for a VBAC, and it has been the best thing I've done this pregnancy. :D Good luck with your VBACs ladies. :D

I would arm yourself with as many facts as possible, one it will make you feel more confident in your choice and if the consultant goes on and on trying to talk you out of it you have the facts to prove your point, though either way it's your choice so it really doesn't matter what they think. This site has alot of great info you should check it out

https://vbac.com/

Thanks will read that site.

Thanks very much I was considering that we may change hospitals actually but I was worried about travelling to the other hospital in case I progressed really quicky as my labour with DD was only 6 hrs! lol

If you don't mind me asking, what was the reason for your first section?

Baby in wrong position.
I labored fine and was pushing for about 1/2 hr before they realised the problem and then baby heartrate started dropping. She was presenting with the wrong part of the head (can't remember which way around now! lol)

That's very similar to what happened with me. It's likely just bad luck, but you can go and see an osteopath or chiropracter to have a look at your pelvis to see if there was an underlying reason. There's no reason to assume that it will happen again and the risks of rupture are so small. NICE actually advises that a woman that has had one section should be treated in the same way as a woman that has never had one.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->