Ventriculomegaly

dani86

Reaction score
Hiya guys jst wondering if anyone had any experience with ventriculomegaly? At my 20 week scan ventricles measured 10.8mm so I was referred to fetal medicine a week later the measurements went back to norm which was 9.2mm then 2 weeks later back to 10.8mm so since my last scan I have been offered amnio and MRI and I jst dnt know what to do, my nxt appointment is nxt wed and I'm jst hoping and praying these measurements go back down to under 10mm! So any experience or advise wud b helpful x x

The only thing I know about ventricularmegly is that it often leads to diagnosis of hydrocephalus. As far as an amnio is concerned, it is awful big risk and won't help you at all if there is hydrocephalus. Not sure if anything else related can show on an amnio.

As far as hydro is concerned - please don't worry too much at this stage. Those measurements are marginal. My son has hydro and is perfectly fine. If the ventricles continue to grow then at birth the baby may have a small operation to put a drain in which drains the fluid away. This then stays in for life and sometimes needs replacing.

Kids with hydro can have a few minor problems but most are caused by them not being treated quickly. My son had no associated problems with hydro. But he does have spina bifida. However that would have been picked up on the scan if your baby had it!

If you have any questions or need any support let me know. It is quite common and I know 100's of children with it.

Don't stress too much unless you get some really bad news - there is still a massive chance your baby will be fine!

I have experienced similar to you Dani. We had our 20 weeks scan and they said the measurement was 10mm then 9mm and then 9.5. They referred us to Kings College Fetal Medicine unit because they got 10 (they refer when 10 and above and as they got one measurement of 10 they played it safe). We were really upset and were referred that day. Kings, the best place in the country, were amazing and their knowledge and equipment was spectacular. They got a measurement of 8.5 and then 8.9mm. We were told that it was most likely it would be, and a quote, 'a variant of normal with good prognosis'. As the baby had no other problems (and they checked everything) and my Downs risk at 12 weeks was low, with Nuchal measurement of 1.7. Also, as our baby is a boy this is another indicator as they have larger heads with more fluid on average and so it's more common.

We were told by Kings to come back at 28 weeks to check the measurement. If it has gone up then they will do a fetal MRI. However, they emphasised that they were over 90% sure it would be okay.

Now, I am rubbish at waiting so I have booked an appointment to see Professor Nikolaides at the Fetal Medicine Centre in Harley St in three weeks when I will be 25 wks to check on the measurement. He is the most experienced man in the country and even come up with the nuchal measurement etc, so if he says it's all okay I will be very happy.

I don't know if this helps. Ventriculomegaly is not necessarily most likely to lead to hydrocephalus in my opinion and I have conducted a lot of research (I have a PhD so I am very much into my research).

I think there are forums on the i-am-pregnant website that may help you

Good luck. Try not to google as it can make it worse. I would try to get as much info about your individual case from the docs.

Thanks for the advise girls!! I'm absolutely sick at the minute going thru this is making me Ill I'm trying my best not to stress but I jst can't help it!! I'm 24 weeks so I will also b 25 weeks by the time they scan me nxt the thing is at 21 weeks when measurements went down the consultant was like vents look completly normal ur baby jst has a more oval shape head that round so making measurements look bigger but u do have slightly low fluid round the baby so to check on fluid that's the only reason I went back 2 weeks later, at that appointment the same consultant was like oh ur amniotic fluid has gone up but vents are back to 10.8mm!! I dnt know if position of baby has anything to do with measurements because at 20 weeks baby was cephalic meaning head down when measurements were 10.8mm then breech at 21 weeks meaning head up when measurements were 9.2mm and again cephalic at 23 weeks when measurements were 10.8mm!! Anyways I have my fingers crossed for both of us I have read up on this lots now and the outcome seems pretty good if the case stays the same or reduces!!
I wish I lived in London I would even pay for an expert if I lived near one but the rvi where I live seem pretty helpful too they said all I need to do is ring them if I want to be seen sooner and they will fit me in! Anyways I'm off to sleep and keep me updated on how ur nxt scan goes and good luck x x

Good luck to both of you. Just to add both my babies have oval heads and one has hydro and one doesn't. The significance is that the ventricals are not normal shaped so normal measurements don't apply.

I hope both of your babies are ok. If it does turn out to be hydro - then the association of spina bifida and/ hydro is amazing. Well worth a call!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->