• Welcome back! The Xenforo Cloud migration is now complete. Thank you for your patience! NOTE: please make sure to report any issues to our Technical Support forum and we'll review ASAP.

"Verifi" Genetic Testing & Insurance

LunarSpoon

Cautiously Expecting #2
Reaction score
Has anyone opted for the Verifi (or comparable) genetic blood test(s) over the amniocentesis and other more invasive testing? If so, what was your experience with insurance coverage for the testing?

My office manager is pregnant as well and was offered the Verifi test to screen for a variety of genetic disorders and was also able to determine the sex at 11 weeks :thumbup: (the test can be performed as early as 10 weeks.) She is more advanced in age (she is 40 years old and I am only 22 years old) so I don't know if that plays a role.

I am definitely interested in having genetic testing done simply for peace of mind, but amniocentesis has been a huge :nope: in my mind from the very beginning. Does anyone have experience with the Verifi test with Regence Blueshield as an insurance provider? So far both mine and my office manager's prenatal visits and labs have been covered 100% as preventative care, but she's not sure if that will apply to her Verifi test and I was wondering if anyone on here knew. I'd ask Regence Blueshield myself, but I've tried calling AND online chat and their system is down! :wacko:

I did the materniT21, which I think is the same as the verifi...it extracts the fetal DNA from the mother's blood to test for trisomies 13, 18, and 21. It can also tell you the gender.

I don't know anything about your insurance, but with the MaterniT21, a lot of insurance companies do cover it if it's necessary...I'm of AMA so I was high risk (1:11 for trisomies 13, 18 and 1:17 for downs). Also, the lab that does the test will not charge anyone anymore than $235 (approximately) out of pocket if your insurance doesn't pay. They were really easy to work with. I ended up paying nothing out of pocket.

Sorry I couldn't be helpful with your specifics. If the Verifi turns out to be really expensive, look into the MaterniT21. Oh, you could probably call the lab that does the Verifi directly and ask about your insurance. That's what I did with the materni. Good luck.

I did the materniT21, which I think is the same as the verifi...it extracts the fetal DNA from the mother's blood to test for trisomies 13, 18, and 21. It can also tell you the gender.

I don't know anything about your insurance, but with the MaterniT21, a lot of insurance companies do cover it if it's necessary...I'm of AMA so I was high risk (1:11 for trisomies 13, 18 and 1:17 for downs). Also, the lab that does the test will not charge anyone anymore than $235 (approximately) out of pocket if your insurance doesn't pay. They were really easy to work with. I ended up paying nothing out of pocket.

Sorry I couldn't be helpful with your specifics. If the Verifi turns out to be really expensive, look into the MaterniT21. Oh, you could probably call the lab that does the Verifi directly and ask about your insurance. That's what I did with the materni. Good luck.

Thanks so much for the info, Scout!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mummynugs
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"