Very light spotting after first pelvic exam

zoe2010

Reaction score
I feel like I'm going to have so many questions in the next few weeks. Ugh I'm constantly worried :( I'm 5 weeks and 2 days along and I had my first doctors apt today. She did a Pap smear and now I'm having very very light spotting. Like brownish specs when I wipe. And I also worked out tonight and afterward had some cramping. I'm wondering if it's from the Pap smear today. Anyone else experience this? I'm just hoping this is normal. I'm just so nervous...

It is very normal to have some spotting after any kind of internal exam while you're pregnant, or even a transvaginal ultrasound. Your cervix is highly sensitive due to increased blood flow. If you started cramping after a workout, it is your body telling you to slow down. Making a baby is hard work :hugs:

I spotted after my internal ultrasound with my first pregnancy and freaked out because I didn't know that could happen. Its very normal apparently. I just wish someone had told me! LOL! I fully expect to spot this time too.

Thanks ladies! Spotting seems to have stopped thank goodness! Made me so nervous

I'm just gonna echo that spotting and cramping are normal after a pap smear. I had the same experience when I had it done when pregnant with my first baby (now 5) and current pregnancy (now 33w). :) I'm glad your spotting seems to have subsided. I spotted for a full day and then had a little leftover the day after with this pregnancy.

Why did u have a pap while pregnant? My doctor refused as it can do exactly what's happened to you... weird.

Maybe doctor's are different in the UK than where you are...its strictly never done here while pregnant

Why did u have a pap while pregnant? My doctor refused as it can do exactly what's happened to you... weird.

Maybe doctor's are different in the UK than where you are...its strictly never done here while pregnant

Everyone I know here has had a pap while pregnant. It's normal routine when you have your first exam.

Everyone I know here has had a pap while pregnant. It's normal routine when you have your first exam.

If you are due for one, my doctor will do one (in US). I had one less than a year ago so they did not do a pap this time. I did have a pap at my first prenatal appt with my son three years ago.

How strange as I am due one in July and she said 'm we won't do one until you have the baby'

Seems odd to be so overly...paranoid??? But happy for a doctor to be overly paranoid and leave my cervix well alone lol.

Wishing you the best!

How strange as I am due one in July and she said 'm we won't do one until you have the baby'

Seems odd to be so overly...paranoid??? But happy for a doctor to be overly paranoid and leave my cervix well alone lol.

Wishing you the best!

Thank you! You too :)

I wish the worrying would subside for me. I feel like every little ache a pain freaks me out:(

It is very normal. I once had a smear (not pregnant, actually I intentionally made sure I got it done before) and I literally had gushing bleeding after. Like it was a 10 minute drive home and I had soaked through my jeans by the time I got in the house. That is unusual, but spotting and light bleeding are completely normal after. Especially when you're pregnant and your cervix is irritable. Generally, here we don't do them in pregnancy for that reason and also because pregnancy changes the cells on your cervix, so you can get a false positive smear test. In the U.S. I think it's more normal though (obviously, it's a billable service, so it makes money, and if you come in again for bleeding after, it makes more money, so a lot of practices are encouraged to do it every pregnancy, you can always decline though). But yes, all sounds normal and I wouldn't worry as it's all stopped now.

It is very normal. I once had a smear (not pregnant, actually I intentionally made sure I got it done before) and I literally had gushing bleeding after. Like it was a 10 minute drive home and I had soaked through my jeans by the time I got in the house. That is unusual, but spotting and light bleeding are completely normal after. Especially when you're pregnant and your cervix is irritable. Generally, here we don't do them in pregnancy for that reason and also because pregnancy changes the cells on your cervix, so you can get a false positive smear test. In the U.S. I think it's more normal though (obviously, it's a billable service, so it makes money, and if you come in again for bleeding after, it makes more money, so a lot of practices are encourage4d to do it every pregnancy, you can always decline though). But yes, all sounds normal and I wouldn't worry as it's all stopped now.

Thank you for answering a question that was bothering me since following this thread!! Makes total sense that they do them in the US when it's a free service in the UK!

Now I know
:thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"