Very painful breast?

Discussion in 'Breastfeeding' started by mattison, Jun 6, 2011.

1. mattison

mattison Mother of 3 & expecting!

Hello ladies-

I have a quick question because I cannot find the answer online (or what I think is the answer) and have left my cell phone in my fiance's car so cannot call my LC until later this afternoon.

For the past 2-3 days one of my breasts keeps getting engorged while my other one doesn't at all. I use little pads to absorb leakage and noticed that the engorged breast doesn't ever really leak, while my other does constantly! The engorged feeling breast is extremely sore, even after I pump and have my LO nurse off of it. I pumped for a half hour last night and got 3oz out of it, but it still was very, very tender, and still had a hard and painful lump area on top.

I have now nursed my LO on that breast 3 consecutive times today but the pain and slight hardness is not going away. What could be going on?

The nipple is very sore on it, too, so for a while I admit I let my LO nurse the other side and just pumped the sore one more because it would hurt less.

I cannot bend down, or lift my arm up without it 'straining' my breast and it hurts pretty badly. It feels like a really deep, painful bruise. Also, after he nurses, the nipple feels like it is burning afterwards for a little bit (not sure if that matters).

Anyone experienced this before? Could it be thrush or something?

:flower:

2. Katt

Katt Well-Known Member

Hmm, the hardness sounds like a blocked duct and that would explain the enorgement. The burning could be thrush. I would see a doc to check for sure x