Very painful milk letdown ....

Luzelle

Reaction score
Is this normal? I grit my teeth when my milk lets down, it feels like a mild electric shock on my breasts!! And it happens very often, even if my breasts are just accidentally brushed by my arm or hand, or if I think of my baby, or just for no reason at all! Will it ease up? My baby is now five weeks old.:shrug:

hmmm? not sure wether its supposed to hurt? i'm into just over 8wks now they were painful and feels odd when i have let down tingling tho? i wouldn't say painful, any pain i have is when i'm so full? i'm not sure ? but i do have let down all the time? hope someone can answer you xxxx

some women do have painful letdown, it should gradually get better but it can take a while. I got that electric shock feeling in the first couple of weeks and remember doing so with my others as well, for me it was actually worse towards the end of the feed when LO was extracting the hind milk, I really had to grit my teeth to keep him on until he had decided he had finished.

I had a painful letdown for the first few weeks. I can't remember exactly when, but it gradually stopped being painful, possibly around the 2 month mark. Nowadays I can't even feel my letdown!

How is the engorgement and oversupply going? Hope it has settled down a bit. :hugs:

When my boobs were engorged my letdown could be quite painful, once your supply regulates it should get better :hugs:

Im in the same boat at 6 weeks. I cant even pick Rylan up when I have a let down. I swear it hurts more than the scabbed over nipples did the first week.

Still have the painful letdown, but I'm trying to just get used to it. It really does hurt! Thanks for all your replies! Hopefully it will go away soon.

I just started getting a painful letdown in the last week, before then I never even got any letdown feeling at all.

Like you descried, it's like an electric shock. It goes from my nipples and spreads up the sides of my breasts towards my armpits. I also get a really dry mouth when it happens, it's strange!

My painful letdown reflex stopped at 4 mths of bf. Give it time. I remember worrying like u and i went to the walk in centre and nurse laughed at me, saying its because it's my first baby and I'm not used to it ! Grrr

My son is 5 weeks also and I too have painful let down. My mom said that she had it in all the time she breastfed her kids. Not sure if I will be the same but i've heard its pretty normal though as time progresses you get used to it. :shrug: I hope it goes away cause breastfeeding is going great for me now but the let down is awful. :(

Glad I'm not the only one, though I am sorry that you guys are suffering with me! I have to stop whatever I'm doing for those ten seconds or more, and I try not to let it show in my face anymore, it scares other people! ha ha. Does feel like a mild electric shock though. And now it seems I have a blocked duct today, making the letdown pain even worse.

I had this too, but it went away by week 12.

I was told it's from oversupply and a forceful let-down. Like, all that milk is being released at once. It sounds painful when I imagine it :haha:

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->