Very sore nipples and now maybe Reynauds syndrome or is it thrush?

Soph&Bump

Reaction score
Hi, I've had a terrible time breastfeeding and everyday I almost give up.

My problems started on day 3 when the milk came in. I had sore nipples and kind of put off feeding, especially as LO didn't really come looking. I got really engorged and had 2 rock hard pyramids that Lola couldn't latch onto. I ended up having to express and feed her in a cup but this didn't give her enough, so I had to give a bit of formula in a cup too. After that I was told to express a bit before feeding to get things going and get the nipples 'ready'. I also used breast shields as BFing was so painful but I think this stopped her getting a good feed. I've since stopped using these.

I'm now feeding without expressing first and still have pain, including after feeds. I've seen a great BF counsellor who has helped me latch on so it shouldn't hurt (it seems to be ok when I'm with her but on my own back to pain). She saw my nipples and thinks I have Reynauds syndrome. My nipples are tingly and feel a bit like pins are being stuck in them. They are also ultra sensitive and I can barely touch them or have clothes touch them without it really hurting. I'm using Lanisoh and don't know if it helps. Maybe it would be much worse without it.

I just wanted to know if anyone else had Reynauds and how they have managed it. I have wondered if it might actually be nipple thrush. What should I look for, apart from white in LO's mouth.

Sorry to be asking so many questions. I'm just a bit desperate for some answers and don't really know where to get them.

Thanks in advance...

Didnt want to read & run, but just wanted to say well done for persevering this far through the pain; it does get better, as I'm sure everyone on here will say, lol.

I dont have any experience with thrush or anything, but I do suffer with RS in my righthand index & middle fingers (random, lol) & the only thing I can suggest is that you try to keep your boobs nice & warm, especially after a feed. I know when I'm cold, my nipples hurt like hell & I sometimes use a hot water bottle on my chest, & this stops them hurting.

Does the tingly sensation occur as you're having a let down of milk? I get like a couple of seconds worth of tingles just before my milk letsdown & sprays everywhere, hehe, but it doesnt hurt or anything...

If you are worried about the possibilities of thrush, or any other issues, do go see your Dr/Nurse/GP asap, as both you & your LO will need treating; at the end of the day, it's their job to check these things and it's better safe than sorry, as they say.

Hope things perk up for you soon & good luck :hugs:

Does the tingly sensation occur as you're having a let down of milk? I get like a couple of seconds worth of tingles just before my milk letsdown & sprays everywhere, hehe, but it doesnt hurt or anything...

If you are worried about the possibilities of thrush, or any other issues, do go see your Dr/Nurse/GP asap, as both you & your LO will need treating; at the end of the day, it's their job to check these things and it's better safe than sorry, as they say.

Hope things perk up for you soon & good luck :hugs:

The tingling is after I've fed and between feeds. At the start of a feed it's a toe curling kind of pain, which subsides if I've got a good latch on. Sometimes towards the end it gets painful. The BF counsellor said to stop feeding when this happens.

If I move or cough or anything touches my nipples it kind of makes them tingly sore. I try and avoid all contact on them. Putting my bra on is painful too, which is.....a pain!! When I have a shower I have to dodge water as the jet on the nipples is really sore too. I've not had a let down feeling. I don't know what it feels like but remember someone saying not everyone gets a feeling.

I'm going to see a doctor tomorrow. More to see if she'll give me the okay to drive as I had a c-section but I'm going to ask her about the thrush too while I'm there.

I just wish BFing could be a joy. I just try and remind myself how good it is for little Lola.

x

:hugs:

Good luck at the Drs- I hope they'll be able to help you.

Do you use lansinoh cream? Lots of people say to put it on before you go in the shower which reduces the pain the power of the shower's water causes. Just a thought?

I don't have any advice, but I didn't want to read and run.
Lots of love and hugs, and I hope something gets figured out soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->