Very Stupid Question, but Contractions......how will I know?

Abz1982

Mum to 2 nutters!
Reaction score
I haven't had any of these Braxton Hicks contractions, or at least I don't think I have. I get the odd tweaky sensations, and right now my bump feels kinda 'tight' on the left side only, but nothing that seems to come and go.

So, exactly how will I know what a contraction is? I have never really had period pains, and from having years and years of UTI infections and being in pain when I was younger I am thinking I am very good at ignoring pain!! I even once walked over a mile home on a broken ankle and didn't know - and I was sober!

I wonder this too, I keep getting these random tightenings but nothing rhythmic whatsoever. Its my second baby so you would think that I would know. Last time I only had contractions after pitocin and they started super strong so I wonder are these little ones the start of anything or just braxton hicks or what? I didn't have any bh ones with my first.

Hmm I didn't experience any contractions on my own except Braxton Hicks a couple of times in my pregnancy.

All I can say is that in labour they don't quit, you know how BH eventually go away? Your "real" contractions won't disappear... and will gradually become more uncomfortable. That's my experience! :)

I thought I just had an awful backache (felt like one LONG, AWFUL contraction!) all weekend...then one of my friends came over who had had 6 kids and started timing the worst spasms....turned out they were 3 mins apart! OOPS!

It's hard to say... every woman is different and therefore every labour is different. Most of the books say you just know. Some books say you will have back pain, tenderness and/or pain in legs, pelvic pressure, pain in your buttocks and mild cramps that get more intense as time goes on.

Most women don't feel BH contractions. BH to me are the same tightening feelings that you feel after orgasm. And contractions are supposed to feel somewhat like this as well. If you do not have a partner to achieve orgasm with, or sex is not an option, consider masterbation with or without a partner. It will give you an idea on what a contraction can/will feel like.

Hope this helps.

Contractions, to me, felt like horrible menstrual cramps, worse than I've ever had in my life - and I do get them really bad usually!

I had hicks for weeks but knew when it was the real thing!! you will know, i thought this too xx

They do say you will just know but Im not so sure either, Im having a C section so not much of an issue unless I go early. I do get the odd BH so Im guessing they will just be worse and not go away, sorry Im no help, take care :hugs: XX

It started for me with period cramps 20 mins apart but my waters were leaking too, and gradually they just get more painful and closer together..... xx
I went to 6cms when I got to the hosp and was examined, only had a paracetamol, dont be scared it really isnt that bad! xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->