Viewing a nursery, any tips?

Annabel

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

Im going to view a nursery on Friday. Ive read their offsted report and they are rated very highly, they have 36 children 0-5 with 15 staff.. I think this is a good ratio??

Is there anything I should look out for, or what to ask while Im there?

Thanks
:)

I had dozens of questions for the first one we saw (I almost felt obliged to have lots) but most were daft - about logistics, feeding, fussy eaters, communications books, key workers, routines, late fees etc. At the end of the day all that stuff is much of a muchness at each nursery and not deal breakers.

I think the most important thing is to visit at least 3 nurseries just so you have a feel for yourself of what is right for you. I loved the first one, wasn't keen on the second one, but ending up liking the third so much more than the first.

See if the children there look happy and stimulated - that's the most important thing I think. That and good facilities to run about in, especially outdoors.

The ratio is probably above meeting their legal requirements which is good but it depends on the ages of the children - think it's one member of staff for 3 under 2s, one for 4 2-3s and one for 8 4years olds.

Hi

I used to b a nursery nurse so for me hard to pick a nursery as i am sooo picky but a couple of things i look for:

- When you contact the nursery you should be told you can visit the nursery anytime (this is so that they arent prepared for your visit)

- If you want to speak with someone and ask questions then u may need to make an appointment.

- Ask about what you get for you money and compare with other nurseries e.g- nappies, food etc

- I hate super tidy nurseries as kids dont play tidy

- look at the learning plans

- variety of toys

- food menus and choices

- outside area

i have chosen a local authority nursery as i know the quality of these nurserys is high as i have worked in both private and local authority and there is a difference.

p.s also ask about paying for bank holidays.

sorry to go on but hope this is of some help

xx

My son is going to nursery in a couple of weeks. When I visited I asked about sleep routines (they said they went with each babies needs and were happy to rock them to sleep as needed - important for us as Alex wont self settle), feeding (Alex is BLW - this was new to them but they were interested and happy to accomodate), consistency of care (Alex will have a keyworker who is lovely) and staff ratio to children (in the baby room - 0 to 2 years there are 3 LOs per member of staff). The nursery was very homely and all the children seemed happy and well stimulated. I would say a lot of it is down to first impressions and the overall vibe you get. I am dreading leaving my baby but I think he will be happy there :hugs:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->